The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2024, 12:15 PM

Default Questions about switching from a Loudbox performer to a pole mounted speaker

I am currently using a Loudbox performer for my solo acoustic gigs. I really like the simplicity of everything all in one amp that I just plug a guitar and mic into and go. But I am now playing a venue where the tables are close with no stage, and I need to raise the amp up higher for optimal sound. I am looking at buying a powered speaker like a QSC CP8 that I can mount on a pole. I am assuming I will also need a small mixer with reverb for vocals, and a DI for my acoustic. Has anyone else made a similar transition? What gear did you pick and were you happy with the sound vs. the all-in-one amp? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2024, 12:35 PM

Yamaha's MG06X will get the job done for mixing duties, but you may want the MG10XU just in case someone ever joins you. Be sure to buy the best hookup cables you can afford (Neutrik or Amphenol connectors). I've rarely used a single amp and have been flying powered speakers high and behind since the beginning. Try to put together a nice little gig bag with extras of what you need. A rugged stand bag (for the speaker stand, guitar and mic stand) is in order too.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:51 AM

If you're not dead set on buying a new speaker, you may want to look into amp stands as a cheaper option. (50-100$$) Something like below:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...amp-stand-high

It will raise the amp off the floor high enough to meet your needs, I believe. Some also have a tilt function to aim the sound higher, if needed.

There are also a few options to install a pole mount onto your existing amp. Although, I believe you need to install hardware on the bottom (screws, mount, etc).
Old 02-26-2024, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

…or you can put a pole mount in your current amp…just be careful not to hit any of the internals. When I owned a Fishman amp, I put a pole mount one one side…which allowed elevation on a pole. It worked well.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

The most simple thing to do (other than getting an amp stand, which is what I did), is to DI out from your performer into the powered speaker of your choosing. You can still use your Performer and it's effects and mixing and send that signal out to the powered speaker as well. That way you're not giving up using an amp you already like, you just add the powered speaker when you need it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 02-27-2024, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickLikeTrimble View Post
I am currently using a Loudbox performer for my solo acoustic gigs. I really like the simplicity of everything all in one amp that I just plug a guitar and mic into and go. But I am now playing a venue where the tables are close with no stage, and I need to raise the amp up higher for optimal sound. I am looking at buying a powered speaker like a QSC CP8 that I can mount on a pole. I am assuming I will also need a small mixer with reverb for vocals, and a DI for my acoustic. Has anyone else made a similar transition? What gear did you pick and were you happy with the sound vs. the all-in-one amp? Thanks!
I have.

You don't need reverb. The room will give you all the reverb you need. Reverb would just sound cheesy.

If your pickup is active, get a DI. If it's passive, get a preamp. The only point of either is to give you an XLR out.

Get the preamp or DI, powered speaker, stand, and mixer, and you're there. I use a Fire-Eye Red-Eye preamp, an Allen & Heath ZEDi-10FX mixer (four LXR ins, in case I ever want to do a duo) and a JBL EON 710 speaker.

My Loudbox Mini is useless, except as a monitor. That's why I got the Zed/EON rig. The Red-Eye I've been using for years.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 02-27-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
The most simple thing to do (other than getting an amp stand, which is what I did), is to DI out from your performer into the powered speaker of your choosing. You can still use your Performer and it's effects and mixing and send that signal out to the powered speaker as well. That way you're not giving up using an amp you already like, you just add the powered speaker when you need it.
This is the best advice based on your situation. The Performer is great. If the Performer covers most of your gigs except this one, Id pick up something like an Alto Ts410 and a stand. You set your Performer the way you like - effects and all and di out to the powered speaker when you need it.

You can use both additions down the road should you decide later to go separate mixer etc.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:53 PM

Those kinds of room sort of lend themselves to Bose L1 (or similar) systems. That said, your performer amp from Fishman is a high quality unit with a tilt back stand built in. Perhaps you can get a stool, chair, etc. to elevate it and tilt it back.

I hate to suggest someone experiment at a gig without a backup. If you don't mind the extra haul, you could take your Performer and use it as your mixer/monitor and DI out to a (borrowed) powered speaker on a pole.

I'm very much in favor of people not going down the rabbit hole if they're happy with the sound of a particular amp, mixer, speaker system.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
My advice would be the same as this. One thing I'd add is that in a situation where you need to use a PA speaker to project into the room, you will still have the amp on stage with you to use as a monitor--and you won't need much volume. You'll hear yourself better that way if the room is too noisy for you to rely on yourself or the speaker you're using for the house.

Louis
Old 02-27-2024, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Yamaha's MG06X will get the job done for mixing duties, but you may want the MG10XU just in case someone ever joins you. Be sure to buy the best hookup cables you can afford (Neutrik or Amphenol connectors). I've rarely used a single amp and have been flying powered speakers high and behind since the beginning. Try to put together a nice little gig bag with extras of what you need. A rugged stand bag (for the speaker stand, guitar and mic stand) is in order too.

Didn’t you recently get a Yammy DHR12m? How do you like it?

Also, when doing the high and behind? How high and behind have you operated?
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Didn’t you recently get a Yammy DHR12m? How do you like it?

Also, when doing the high and behind? How high and behind have you operated?
The 12m is great! I haven't used it on a pole yet, but on the ground and behind my wife and I with a MG10XU mixer it worked great. It gets LOUD and the best thing is there wasn't an ounce of feedback and my wife's mic was hot and she was right in front of it. She always feeds back. With the typical aluminum speaker stand I run 3 holes showing (on the extension pole) which puts the bottom of the speaker about head height to me (6' or so). I stand about 4 feet to the side and 2 or 3 feet in front.

My wife uses a Sennheiser e945 mic. I believe the coaxial design of the DHR12M helps to alleviate the feedback.

I've used a Stagepas 600 with no speaker stands, running one facing me as a monitor and the other speaker facing out. It worked well enough. I have used a stand that was only about waist high. It was ok. For me, the ideal height is about as high as my mouth is, and I stand and play. I've seen guys fly speakers over 10' that's asking for trouble if you ask me.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 02-28-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
I was going to suggest this, but goat Mick beat me to it…

You don’t need a mixer if it’s just you. You can line out from your performer, can’t you?

Also, you might want to check out the little speaker stands from Sweetwater.

They’re small and easily, portable, and they raise the speaker up to about head height.

Have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification