The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2024, 09:28 PM

Default Charlie Worsham: Voiceprint

I am not sure how many have seen this video yet, but long time Lr Baggs user Charlie Worsham did a video where he shows how he uses the Voiceprint live. It's an interesting setup and a well produced video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MnbMktXGU

The reason I bring this up is because the tones he is getting are pretty incredible. I mean to the point where I feel like the external mic was not turned off. In the video, they make it sound as though you are just hearing his Voiceprints, but the external mic is clearly on. I am probably overthinking this, it just kind of seemed like false advertising.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:40 PM

If you look closely he's wearing a lavalier mic in the center of his t shirt on the neckline. Voiceprint DI is that good. My Ibanez AW54CE sounds so good, I have to turn up to make sure it's really the amped sound I'm hearing.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
If you look closely he's wearing a lavalier mic in the center of his t shirt on the neckline. Voiceprint DI is that good. My Ibanez AW54CE sounds so good, I have to turn up to make sure it's really the amped sound I'm hearing.
Yeah, I noticed that as well but what gives it away for me is that you can hear the pick on the strings. Only a tone you would get with an external mic. I own the Voiceprint and it’s definitely not that good. I also have a Tonedexter and in a direct comparison the TD is more natural than the Voiceprint in terms of a quality/realistic tone. This video just seems to have too much mic bleed.

Last edited by Petty1818; 02-23-2024 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Something is kicking out a lot of background hum from his system?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-24-2024, 04:41 PM

I recall the vid where he shows how he blends the Anthem SL/VP signal with the signal off a soundhole mag through his favorite amp. Apparently he’s come with a way to simulate that without needing the amp or the George L soundhole mag in the guitar.

https://youtu.be/IL5k-mUEenc?si=OhvO6Z_6Pz61r5-l

LOL, I still recall that prototype LR Baggs stage guitar that Charlie told us to “stay tuned” for more info on. There’s more chance of that stage guitar reappearing than there is of me ever understanding Charlie’s new pedal board.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:12 AM

If they are using a lavalier, that would be no need for the mic. If I had to bet, I would bet that they are using at least a mic blend in that "pickup only" sound.

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil
Old 02-29-2024, 07:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am not sure how many have seen this video yet, but long time Lr Baggs user Charlie Worsham did a video where he shows how he uses the Voiceprint live. It's an interesting setup and a well produced video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9MnbMktXGU

The reason I bring this up is because the tones he is getting are pretty incredible. I mean to the point where I feel like the external mic was not turned off. In the video, they make it sound as though you are just hearing his Voiceprints, but the external mic is clearly on. I am probably overthinking this, it just kind of seemed like false advertising.

Very interesting BUT - I suspect we're hearing the unplugged tone of the Gibson through the narration mic too. :/ As a BTS video on the thinking behind his rig = A+ ... but it's not helping me know what his rig sounds like without blending an unplugged guitar into it.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-29-2024, 07:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAPANDELO View Post
If they are using a lavalier, that would be no need for the mic. If I had to bet, I would bet that they are using at least a mic blend in that "pickup only" sound.
When he plays the 12 you can certainly see that's true.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-29-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Very interesting BUT - I suspect we're hearing the unplugged tone of the Gibson through the narration mic too. :/ As a BTS video on the thinking behind his rig = A+ ... but it's not helping me know what his rig sounds like without blending an unplugged guitar into it.
Absolutely! I loved hearing how he uses the Voiceprint but was definitely disappointed by the fact that we never actually got to hear his actual tones. A very helpful video would be to see how a guy like Charlie blends and eq's the voiceprint to work live. He is playing some large venues with a loud band so I am curious as to how he makes this work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification