The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Live Acoustic gear?

There's been quite a bit of talk lately about effects. I'd be very interested to hear what gear you use in your acoustic rig? Do you use different gear for solo stuff compared to band stuff? I'm always interested in improving in this area (particularly for solo stuff).

Personally (for now) I'm running through a Para DI (with a Behringer Virtualizer Pro insert) --> Boomerang --> Aphex 1401 --> Behringer compressor --> board. I have an AG Stomp that I've pretty much stopped using as the Padi just sounds better.

However, this is all subject to change daily. But for now I get a pretty good sound through this.

Harlon
Old 09-21-2004, 09:24 PM

I run my 414rce with ES either into the XLR input on my board (or at the venue's board) or the 1/4" input on my Marshall AS50R. A touch of reverb whether on the Marshall or PA (though nowhere near as much as on the vocal). No outboard gear, though with the Marshall I sometimes add a tiny bit of built-in chorus. When I play my others out (814ce with Fishman Prefix Blender, M-36 with Rare Earth Blender, 450 with plain Rare Earth, 422R with Schertler Bluestick, or Songwriter Deluxe with Fishman Matrix Natural) I go into my Marshall or into a DI box provided by the venue. All these pickups are active (I use a PADI or Pro EQ only with my dulcimers). The 814ce and 422R have onboard volume controls, so I use a regular cable; with the others I use a John Pearse cable with built in volume and tone control. If I am hauling my own PA and playing with a singing partner, I use an A/B footswitch box with the guitar and dulcimer into a single PA or amp input. As to the D-15, I mic that at the lower bout or the 14th fret with whatever the house has. (Will probably get an SM57). I use a clip-on Intellitune on the headstock (and a Sabine stick-on on the dulcimer) rather than an inline pedal tuner--too many things to remember to stomp on. (The only time I used a pedal tuner onstage, I forgot to take it off bypass and the guitar was barely audible).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:52 AM

My system:

Guitar(s) ---> K4 ---> Lexicon MPX550 ---> Aphex 204 ---> board.

I use all balanced cables, and I run the 550 and 204 through the loop (post eq) on the K4. The 550 has a compression circuit that supposedly runs full time in addition to the effects (new unit - I'm not sure yet how effective it is). I use the 204 sparingly. A Korg DTR-1 tuner is fed from the tuner out on the K4. All in a small 4-space rack with the K4 on top. A bit expensive, but worth it (well, at least I think so).
Old 09-22-2004, 07:28 AM

My simple rig:

655 ––> XLR into Schertler David acoustic amp (with a touch of reverb) ––> ears

Or... if I'm playing where there's a house PA:

655 ––> XLR into Schertler David (facing me as a monitor) ––> line out to direct box / PA ––> ears

Similar (of course) with the Ovation... but I almost never pick up that guitar. I am SO ready (sonically if not financially) for a Taylor 6-string!

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification