The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
Well as I mentioned above, I don't have a lot of money to spend, but wanted something with a more classic acoustic sound. The s6 is great, but very distinctive from acoustic guitars in general.

A higher level acoustic would be all solid wood. On top of the issue of needing to save for a more years to afford one, I read they are really hard to care for. I don't have a properly humidified room. I have no idea how easy it is for a solid wood to crack from the humidity, but I've read it takes special care and knowledge to keep it from happening. Plus there's a vocal minority saying you don't get that much more bang for your buck jumping up to solid backs and sides.
Yes, there IS a distinct difference in sound from a Cedar top vs. a Spruce one - I get that, we have both in the house.

Another poster stated that there would be a difference in the tone of RW and Mahogany B&S - that would be true if they were SOLID back and sides, If they are laminate, there will be no difference.

As far as all solid guitars being hard to care for it depends on where you live. I live in NC and the only time I put my guitars in cases was to transport to gigs - they live in stands year round. FWIW, I have owned several all-solid guitars and it has not harmed a single one. Your S6 has a solid top - if it hasn't cracked in your conditions, it's doubtful that you would need to worry about B&S cracking. Cedar is softer and easier to damage than almost any other wood used in guitars.

As far as the difference between all solid vs. solid top - there is a distinct tonal difference in the two, especially as they age and mature. I own both and while the difference is subtle to most folks ears, it is definitely there.

Lastly, I understand budget constraints. As you can see in my signature, most of my guitars are in the budget category. I have sold all-solid guitars because I found cheaper, solid top ones that sounded just as good, so test drive everything before you buy.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-24-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Ok, I stand corrected on the high end options with Yamaha, I did not know that. I don't think even Yairi has a $10k guitar.

I did enjoy the comment about making sure you tell your tech you need a string change, not oil.

Nothing I said should matter when it comes to picking a good guitar. It's just a personal feeling I have when I look at a headstock. But if I had a good Yamaha in my hands to play, I'm sure I'd appreciate it for it's sound and playability.
I think much of the lack of knowledge about higher end offerings from Yamaha is their relative invisibility and absence of advertising-especially in the US, where the more affordable models are pretty much everywhere. In Europe Yamaha seem to have a much higher profile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8nn6xRGpA
Old 04-25-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yes, there IS a distinct difference in sound from a Cedar top vs. a Spruce one - I get that, we have both in the house.

Another poster stated that there would be a difference in the tone of RW and Mahogany B&S - that would be true if they were SOLID back and sides, If they are laminate, there will be no difference.

As far as all solid guitars being hard to care for it depends on where you live. I live in NC and the only time I put my guitars in cases was to transport to gigs - they live in stands year round. FWIW, I have owned several all-solid guitars and it has not harmed a single one. Your S6 has a solid top - if it hasn't cracked in your conditions, it's doubtful that you would need to worry about B&S cracking. Cedar is softer and easier to damage than almost any other wood used in guitars.

As far as the difference between all solid vs. solid top - there is a distinct tonal difference in the two, especially as they age and mature. I own both and while the difference is subtle to most folks ears, it is definitely there.

Lastly, I understand budget constraints. As you can see in my signature, most of my guitars are in the budget category. I have sold all-solid guitars because I found cheaper, solid top ones that sounded just as good, so test drive everything before you buy.
If care isn't a significant obstacle I would consider all solid.
I've done a search of the cheapest next level all solids. There's the seagull sws series and the guild d140.
After hearing those there's no question I need to find a way to afford the next level. I already have a seagull and I think the D140 sounds Frickin amazing, at least on YouTube. I'm not sure how North American guitar makers are selling the cheapest all solids
Old 04-25-2019, 02:19 AM

After doing some additional research on next level up guitars, I really like the Guild D140. How do you guys think this guitar compares to the Yamaha FG830?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
If care isn't a significant obstacle I would consider all solid.
I've done a search of the cheapest next level all solids. There's the seagull sws series and the guild d140.
After hearing those there's no question I need to find a way to afford the next level. I already have a seagull and I think the D140 sounds Frickin amazing, at least on YouTube. I'm not sure how North American guitar makers are selling the cheapest all solids
Guild are able to build the D140 so inexpensively because it is made in China, where material and labour costs are considerably less than in North America.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Guild are able to build the D140 so inexpensively because it is made in China, where material and labour costs are considerably less than in North America.

I could swear one of the reviews said it was made in California. Maybe it was another model guild, I would have to look for the vid when I have a chance.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I could swear one of the reviews said it was made in California. Maybe it was another model guild, I would have to look for the vid when I have a chance.
You're probably thinking of the D40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOnsLNo7AoI

The Chinese Guilds have three-figure model designations like the D140 (four figures for the 12-strings); the US-built models have two.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:56 AM

I have never come across a bad Yamaha, I don't think Yamaha would let a bad one out the factory gate
Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
You're probably thinking of the D40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOnsLNo7AoI

The Chinese Guilds have three-figure model designations like the D140 (four figures for the 12-strings); the US-built models have two.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJbr4CDxEeY&t=258s

You're right. It is the D40. What do you recommend as a next level up solid from the FG830?

Here's a comparison to a FG730 vs a D150. There's no comparison. Even on youtube via my computer speakers, the Guild sounds fuller and richer.

It seems that both the D140 and the D40 have a big boomy sound, which I really like. It's originally why I wanted an Alvarez AD 60 or AD70, because compared to other sound samples I have heard they are quite boomy and boxy sounding. I'm interested in folk, and a review online said that the 60s revival sound was associated with Guild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Of-h-WzwjY

Last edited by 6stringedRamble; 04-25-2019 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:58 AM

tell you the truth, i owned quite few yamaha's and had no issues with any of them, when and if i get another acoustic- im almost certain it will be the Washburn festival EA15, sounds good and the action is great, almost feels like an electric on the demo model i played, its a mini jumbo cutaway, but sized smaller then a dread for comfort, built in tuner, pretty tuff to beat for $250
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 04-25-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
tell you the truth, i owned quite few yamaha's and had no issues with any of them, when and if i get another acoustic- im almost certain it will be the Washburn festival EA15, sounds good and the action is great, almost feels like an electric on the demo model i played, its a mini jumbo cutaway, but sized smaller then a dread for comfort, built in tuner, pretty tuff to beat for $250
But people on here kept asking me why should I get another laminate back and sides when I have an Segaull s6. It's a great guitar, I just want a different feel and sound for fun. So now I am considering stepping up a few hundreds to a full solid, though truthfully I'm not fully sold on splurging like that. But what would you recommend as full solid step up from the Yamaha FG830 or Alvarez AD60?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJbr4CDxEeY&t=258s

You're right. It is the D40. What do you recommend as a next level up solid from the FG830?

Here's a comparison to a FG730 vs a D150. There's no comparison. Even on youtube via my computer speakers, the Guild sounds fuller and richer.

It seems that both the D140 and the D40 have a big boomy sound, which I really like. It's originally why I wanted an Alvarez AD 60 or AD70, because compared to other sound samples I have heard they are quite boomy and boxy sounding. I'm interested in folk, and a review online said that the 60s revival sound was associated with Guild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Of-h-WzwjY
If you can find one the Yamaha LL16 A.R.E is my recommendation, but it will cost more than the FG. If not the 16 then the LL6 A.R.E (laminate back and sides) is less costly but a definite step up from the FG830 and, to be honest, it sounds very similar to its all-solid sibling.
I have both an LL16 and LL6. Both include a very good semi-rigid Yamaha branded case. Oh, and both include Yamaha's 'Zero Impact' passive under saddle pickup. No batteries, no onboard knobs or other controls, just a simple end pin jack socket. Here's the LL6:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1tb2RmQJx0
And the LL16:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3okjfWZVpc&t=527s
What I especially like about them is the original design, not a clone of anything else.

Last edited by AndrewG; 04-25-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
But people on here kept asking me why should I get another laminate back and sides when I have an Segaull s6. It's a great guitar, I just want a different feel and sound for fun. So now I am considering stepping up a few hundreds to a full solid, though truthfully I'm not fully sold on splurging like that. But what would you recommend as full solid step up from the Yamaha FG830 or Alvarez AD60?
You can pick up the Alvarez MD60BG (all solid Masterworks line) for $500.00 right now brand new with a gig bag. Good versions probably match up well with a Martin D-18. Probably a guitar you'll never get rid of. Also, it says gig bag but I ordered mine and it came with a great tweed covered hard case - you might get lucky.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

You'd be hard pressed to beat a Yamaha 150 Four Stroke outboard. I'm on my second one and love it!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:33 AM

I live in Israel. They have a limited selection compared to USA. There's no MD60s here, ll16s or ll6s. I've checked. Seagull, and the D140 seem to be the next step up.

Now I'm really not sure what to get.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion