The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-21-2019, 05:06 PM

Default Frank Turner show and wow the D-18’s

Saw Frank and the Sleeping Souls in an acoustic show in Lawrence KS last night. He is a great songwriter and storyteller. Played two D-18’s that were just stunning. Don’t know what his setup was but my gosh they sounded great!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:19 PM

I caught Frank Turner a couple of years ago when he was opening for Jason Isbell in Cincinnati.

At first, I wasn't sure what to make of the music, because he doesn't sound like anyone else out there, but he and the band were great live performers, and before it was over I was in the flow along with the rest of the crowd...
Old 10-21-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Cool. Hard to beat a D18
seems he was always a Gibson guy before...

madhat.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I also saw FT opening for Isbell... at Red Rocks. He played Gibsons then... energetic show for sure.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Frank Turner fan here, and I'm seeing him perform on Friday night. He mixes it up. I saw that he's playing the Martins on this tour, but also saw recent clips with his Gibson, so he's got both.

As much as I would love another rocking performance, I'm really looking forward to this acoustic show, especially given the solo opening with the new album. It will be a special performance, and Frank always gives 100% to evert performance.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 AM

PV, you’ll love it. The stories behind the new songs in the opening solo half are worth the price of admission.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I watched a couple of video clips, where he's told a couple of the stories. The new album is really growing on me... love "Jinny" and "Kassiani," so glad that they're both in the set.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Three hours until doors open. We will be somewhere in rows 4-11, seating assigned upon arrival. While I was thinking about the show, I came across this performance of "Jinny Bingham's Ghost" with him actually performing it in the venue she originally built 400 years ago!

Old 10-27-2019, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely brilliant show! Nearly three hour performance between the solo set of songs from the new album, "No Man's Land" (8 songs), and the chronological set with the full band, The Sleeping Souls (20 more songs). As mentioned, hearing the stories behind the songs provided some amazing context for the new album, as well as a great story of his life and career, so far.

We had some close seats (4th row, center) and got up to the stage to sing and dance for the last 3-4 songs. What a great night and belated birthday present (one day late). There was even a marriage proposal in front of the stage after the first song.

Here are some photos from the show:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN