The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Default More string advice please...

I had been experimenting with stings for my new crossover and I've kind of settled on Hannabach Custom Made basses and Knobloch carbon trebles.

I'm getting ready to order replacements of the Hannabach/Knobloch set, but I'd like to also order some other strings to experiment with.

I'd welcome suggestions. I've tried regular nylon strings in several varieties as well as Pearse folk and Infeld Classic S. I like the Hannabach basses, but I wouldn't mind something with a bit more of a "growly", "droney" sound.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I like the Hannabach basses, but I wouldn't mind something with a bit more of a "growly", "droney" sound
Silk basses! Usually plated/wound with silver but any type of metal will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I'm getting ready to order replacements of the Hannabach/Knobloch set, but I'd like to also order some other strings to experiment with.
NYLGUT trebles!!!! Cant say enough about them. They just feel so dang good on me fingers. And i love their sound

The aquilla ambra 800's will come with both silk basses and nylgut trebles. Theres also the 900's which are alittle higher tension.

aquilla's Alabastro and Ambra 2000 also have nylgut trebles.
2000's will have nylgut core basses instead of silk.
Alabastro will have nylgut 'multifilament' core basses.

As a side not i just ordered aquila's granato strings. they use trebles that have copper dust mixed in "for musicians who love clear, sharp sound and powerful voicing" I thought that might be interesting just to try out once
Old 10-22-2019, 12:29 AM

I'm currently really enjoying the new Aquila Alchemia strings, which are a blend of nylgut and sugar polymers.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-23-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I'm currently really enjoying the new Aquila Alchemia strings, which are a blend of nylgut and sugar polymers.
Do they have the white look and feel of nylgut?

I was thinking aout trying those too but when I saw they were blended with the sugars I decided to avoid them.

I recently bought sugars and the E string snapped in the case, when I googled it I had found other people have had theirs break in the same spot. I think they are working on 'beefing up' the formula..atleast i hope so. If its mixed with nylgut though that should do the trick
Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I have experimented with a lot of different strings over the years and had settled on the Luthier Popular Supreme 20 sets as my favorite (by far) for nuevo flamenco and smooth jazz stuff that I play. I've been told that the owner of the Luthier company passed-away and that's why I was seeing "out of stock" on some of the string sales sites. So I found that GSI had 18 sets in stock and just bought them all a few minutes ago. I did see that a few other sites said they had some in stock as well, so if anyone is interested there are some out there. But it sounds like the future of that company may be in question... so I figured I'd grab a big handful of those strings to give me plenty to time to find a replacement. Still... I'll be holding onto the ones that I have for longer than I've used sets in the past. I'll still likely change them out before every gig, but will make the sets that I put on before a gig, last until before the next gig.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonCats View Post
Do they have the white look and feel of nylgut?

I was thinking aout trying those too but when I saw they were blended with the sugars I decided to avoid them.

I recently bought sugars and the E string snapped in the case, when I googled it I had found other people have had theirs break in the same spot. I think they are working on 'beefing up' the formula..atleast i hope so. If its mixed with nylgut though that should do the trick
Yes, the pure sugar has had some problems, but they are resolving the problem by adding some nylgut.

The Alchemia strings are already sugar + nylgut and have had no problems.

I really like them.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Give Oasis GPX Carbons a try. I use the high tension sets and after trying many other sets, repeatedly come back to them.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 10-30-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Give Oasis GPX Carbons a try. I use the high tension sets and after trying many other sets, repeatedly come back to them.
Ive used these on my Cordoba Crossover for about 2 years now and will stick with them as I like the high tension given I often strum it.

On my Esteve and new Katoh I currently have Augustine blacks which are low tension but will change them for Hannabach 815 mediums given they are higher tension and the spruce Katoh will probably like them better.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

Last edited by Westy; 11-03-2019 at 03:42 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical