The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 AM

I have a Sansui AU717 sitting in the basement. I also have a pair of Advent Mondel 9's that is need to reform. I just made a not to bring the whole system to the farm to blast the cows.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Bigger was better.

I remember a lot of HUGE speaker cabinets with nothing inside but a cheesy little 2 inch tweeter and a 6 inch woofer with a magnet the size of a half dollar...and amps that boasted of having 1000 watts of "music power", whatever that was.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Still my only hi-fi system after all these years, built to last, keeps chugging along: Marantz 2230 receiver with a NAD CD player on top and a pair of Dynaco A25's. Sweet natural sound, and plenty of it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

The last dedicated stereo system I owned was.
NAD integrated amp
Thorens turntable
Nakamichi 1000 casset
Magnapan spks.

I can get very good stereo sound as an option on my current home theater system
Samsung 8000 plasma screen
NAD Reciver
Oppo Digital DVD player
SVS 7.1 surround spk. system

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-13-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Yes! Bang and Olufsen made a particularly beautiful example. I had a friend back then (mid '70s?) who had one. Best I can say is that it played records quite well, when it was working.

I still have a B&O RX turntable, which I've owned for the best part of 30 years. It's a little the worse for wear, really needs a new cartridge (virtually unobtainable at any reasonable price), and the dust cover hinges are broken (a common problem for this model). I just can't bring myself to junk it, but I really should.
IIRC the whole theory was that the original vinyl.was cut that way, so the needle.remained tangental.to the track. Mine was a Fisher which matched the other components we had. Was pretty cool to press a couple buttons to play specific tracks, that saved some records we had from getting scratched up. I use my Technics SL-5300 nowadays, which is as mint as they come, still have the manual too.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM

I still have my Pioneer system: receiver, double cassette player and AR turntable. Unfortunately, my Pioneer speakers were sold to a local recording studio start-up and are used as studio monitors. I might buy them back.

2010 Martin HD-28, 82 Martin D-35, 05 Huss & Dalton TDM Custom, 06 Garrison GD-30, and Yamaha FG-180 Red Label "The Pig".
Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM

For the past ten years I have been using an Adcom GFA-545 100 wpc power amp, a matching Adcom preamp, and a pair of Klipsch KG2 speakers. Today I just won an eBay auction for an NAD 7240PE receiver. I love NAD components. I had an NAD 3020 that I foolishly gave away. It actually sounded as good as my McIntosh 1700 receiver that got stolen.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM

I still have my 2245. Still works perfectly. Same exact layout except hrs is 30 watts per channel more. Mine is sans wood cabinet. Beauty Dave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
What I have now:

Marantz 2270 Receiver

Marantz Challenger VII Speakers
Old 07-13-2014, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Those Marantz Challenger 7 speakers look so much like my Craigslist find Marantz Model 7000 Speakers. Super excellent sound. Here are the specs:
- 12" high compliance woofer
- 5" air sealed midrange
- Dynamic 3" High Frequency Tweeter
- Crossover Points: 750 Hz, 2500 Hz
- Impedence: 4 ohms to 8 ohms
- Frequency response: 18Hz-25,000Hz
- Amplifier power:
Minimum: 10 Watts/channel
Maximum: 250 Watts/channel
-Sensitivity: 95dB at 1 meter at 2.8V
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 AM

My father was very handy and into electronics. When I was young we had one of thiose SONY all in one systems with receiver anf tuner, and turntable on top. To make it look lie a component he removed the turntable, and made a top panel to match the sides. After a cassette deck and stand alone turntable, it looked way more expensive than it was! Wish I had pics...

We also had an old console unit (with built in soeakers)... he put a crossover on each channel, then put Christmas lights in front of the speakers. The light show through the speaker cloth was amazing!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:58 AM

I've still got one in my living room. Nothing fancy, but I bought it in the mid 80s when CDs first came out - the CD player won't play CD-Rs any more. Replaced the turntable a couple of years ago. Dual cassette deck hasn't been used in a long time! Nice big floor-standing speakers with 12' woofers.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 AM

I had a separate Amplifier and Tuner. Mine was a Yamaha, and a Yamaha turntable, Teac tape deck and I dont remember the brand of speakers.

I bought it in 1979 with money made from my summer job. Close to around 750 for everything.

When CDs came out in the early 80s I picked up a CD player. I loved that Stereo system.

Perry
Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 AM
G625 mistral-k

First Stereo Receiver was a Sansui 8080, Bic 4 speakers, and a Technics turntable which I bought with money I earned cutting lawns and shoveling snow....

then after college...

Hafler Amp & Pre-Amp (sold on CL 3 years ago)
NAD tuner (in storage)
Linn LP12 (still own & use)
Nakamichi Tape Deck (still own & use)
M&K tube subwoofer (still in use)
Old 07-14-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
I run one of their modified Denon carts on my Sota Sapphire. Unbelievable sound for the money.

Don't be afraid to call or email them if you have any questions, they're very knowledgeable and helpful. Service can be a little slow, they are a small operation and very good at what they do, worth the wait.
I stopped using my Adcom Van Den Hul Cartridge a long time ago for fear of wearing out the stylus.Can they put a new VDH stylus on it when needed?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
What kind of system did you have?
I presently have Bowers & Wilkins 802 speakers, a Carver preamplifier, a power amplifier, an Akai cassette recorder, an Audio Technica turntable and an Apple Airport Express.

I don’t use the cassette recorder except when I find an old cassette in the basement and wonder what is on it. I don’t use the record player unless I want to digitize a record. I listen to the music on my laptop via WiFi using the Airport Express connected to the Carver preamp.

I also have a Dynaco PAT-4 preamp I assembled and a pair of very low distortion SWTP power amplifiers which I also built from a rather rudimentary kit (the Dynaco was a much easier project). The Dynaco still works as well as ever but the SWTPs were damaged and are in need of repair. All three components were completed in 1977 and were used in conjunction with a pair of the larger Advent speakers (2nd generation model introduced around 1973). It would be interesting to compare those Advents to my B&W 802s.

In college, I had a Marantz 1060 integrated amp connected to an Acoustic Research turntable (Shure M93e cartridge) and a pair of Bang & Olufsen 2-way speakers with 8” woofers (BeoVox 2600, I think). I wish I still had that turntable.

Before my present set up, I had a system comprised of a David Hafler preamp, a Soundcraftsmen PCR 800 power amp, a Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1100 turntable and AR-58a, one of the successors to the AR-3a. I also had a pair of Infinity Infinitesimals with 5” Infinity/Watkins dual voice coil woofers and Emit tweeters and a Teac Esoteric Series cassette recorder.

Actually, I wish I still had all the above components.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 07-15-2014 at 04:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN