The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM

Default DO NOT BUY Cordoba C5-CE

The bridge of this guitar just ripped off one day in the closet. Do not buy this guitar......
Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHung View Post
The bridge of this guitar just ripped off one day in the closet. Do not buy this guitar......
Sad to hear, and your advice is sound - I won't buy your guitar now.

As for the blanket statement that all Cordoba C5-CE guitars should be avoided, that's debatable. One defective guitar doesn't doom an entire product line.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM

How hot did it get in that closet?

I opened up a closet in our upstairs spare bedroom the other day that had been closed for a few days, and you could have slow cooked a pork shoulder in there...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM

Default Bridge problem?

This is not so uncommon these days. Sometimes on production line guitars not enough finish is removed before gluing the bridge on. I went through it with my Bartolex 7-string, and decided to have a larger ebony bridge put on, which improved the sound and stability. Sometimes inexpensive guitars need to be treated as "unfinished furniture". I'll probably end up putting $1000 into this Bartolex, but it's a fine-sounding instrument, and will pay for itself in the long run.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I guess that blanket statement might not have been justifiable, i'm just venting my anger. I set the thermostat in my place at 80, so I guess it was about 80 when the bridge popped off.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
..i'm just venting my anger...
Maybe you should vent your closet

Sorry, Steve, I couldn't resist. It shouldn't be very expensive to have the bridge re-glued. Not to worry.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess that blanket statement might not have been justifiable, i'm just venting my anger. I set the thermostat in my place at 80, so I guess it was about 80 when the bridge popped off.
Maybe if you set it a bit lower, both you and your guitar bridges wouldn't pop off?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Assuming that you bought it within the last 3 years and that you still have the receipt, then you may be covered by their warranty. Call them at 877-304-0909 for repair or replacement.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 AM

I own a cordoba c5, and while it is not a great guitar, for the money it plays very well, high temp is not a friend of the guitar, sorry for your problem and hope you can have it repaired

Ronnie
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
Assuming that you bought it within the last 3 years and that you still have the receipt, then you may be covered by their warranty. Call them at 877-304-0909 for repair or replacement.
I hope they cover it too, but they may claim this:

"What this warranty does not cover

Damages caused by humidity or lack thereof, extreme temperature exposure, abuse, neglect or improper storage."

Maybe we should delete this thread...
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 PM

Default Cordoba C5CE

Bad or good timing??!!
I've been plucking everything within that guitars price range, including some Cordoba KOA's ridiculously marked down due to Importer end of line stuff, and I've picked the C5CE model as being the brightest and full ranging sound (I'm up against similar yam/other MIJ's/korean numbers etc) by a big long yardstick. solid top, wide but thin neck, good electronics, great sound...what's not to like about this guitar for under under $400 AUS (australian, not austrian) My last classical was an Ovation Glenn Campbell model, about six times the price and doesn't sound anything like this one. Mine hasn't arrived in store yet, but I'm looking forward to it judging by the shop soiled one I played. can't say I've ever kept a guitar in the cupboard, where i live cupboards are home for jackets and red back spiders.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 AM

mmmmm....pork
Old 07-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Im the second owner of my C-5 and i love this thing. Kind of a bummer that you got a bad guitar, or ruined a good one cause they really are good guitars.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:23 PM

I do not even want to begin with the Cordoba nightmares I have had with trying to get the brand new guitar I purchased, with a very strange buzz on the 5th string, fixed. I have not only had to contact them, but also the store where I purchased the guitar from to tell me that the repair guy has been out of town, etc., etc., and at this point, I do not know what to do, I am just fed up with their brand. Cordoba has pushed me back to the dealer and currently I am stuck in the middle between the dealer and Cordoba. I have not had a guitar that I spent so much time trying to get repaired. I have not had this much trouble with ANY guitar trying to get a repair done, ever. I will just take it as a loss. I will not tell you which guitar I purchased, but I will tell you it was int he 700 range.

Anyhow.. good luck with your guitar.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitpl4evr View Post
I do not even want to begin with the Cordoba nightmares I have had with trying to get the brand new guitar I purchased, with a very strange buzz on the 5th string, fixed. I have not only had to contact them, but also the store where I purchased the guitar from to tell me that the repair guy has been out of town, etc., etc., and at this point, I do not know what to do, I am just fed up with their brand. Cordoba has pushed me back to the dealer and currently I am stuck in the middle between the dealer and Cordoba. I have not had a guitar that I spent so much time trying to get repaired. I have not had this much trouble with ANY guitar trying to get a repair done, ever. I will just take it as a loss. I will not tell you which guitar I purchased, but I will tell you it was int he 700 range.

Anyhow.. good luck with your guitar.

I'll bet it's just a nut or saddle that needs a little work, or high fret. Do you have any other local luthiers to take it too? One here in So Cal gave me a complete fret dressing for only $25 (yes, I know that's very cheap) when a Laguna LD1 arrived with a nicked fret. Turned out that 3 other frets were a bit high as well, but he fixed that and did a quick setup, then MF paid for it when I contacted them.

I'd go ahead and have it fixed so you can enjoy the guitar, then fight it out to see if the store or Cordoba will pay for it. If they don't... heck, you'd still have a nice guitar with a fresh fret dressing and setup

Besides, many folks will take a new guitar in for a setup anyway, and many in that price range often need one.

Last edited by TomHB; 07-26-2011 at 02:52 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical