The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 08:20 PM

Default 87 yo twins arrived!

Way too much guitar for me. Thunderously loud...as in louder than my banner J35...yet quite and well defined with a light touch. Pure beasts of tone. I think I can finally stop chasing the dragon. Took them to the local guitar shop and the resident musicians said they’re the best they’ve ever played. High praise indeed! PS thanks for the forum members steering me in the right direction!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 PM

Lovely. Congratulations
Old 11-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Holy cow! Very VERY, VEERRYY nice!
Old 11-12-2019, 11:21 PM

absolutely gorgeous, both. would love to hear a demo of the two in action.

congratulations on the acquisition, I can only imagine the grin it must bring to your face each time you pick one up.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Awesome! May I ask what the bracing is on the guitars and the years that they were made? Where did you fined them?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM

I don’t think my brain could handle 2 new guitars at once so cool! Congrats and would love to hear a demo, there’s definitely magic in old small body Gibsons

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 AM

A very lovely pair for sure.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Very cool! Do you play twice as good now?

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-13-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Simply wow. I’ve never seen a Kroydon that clean

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-13-2019, 09:29 AM

Super jealous...I just got my first Kalamazoo KG-14 ('38 vintage) and can relate to everything you're saying.
Martin 0-18 Custom
Waterloo WL-12MH
Gibson L-00 Studio
‘38 Kalamazoo KG-14
'20s Oscar Schmidt Stella
'20s Regal Superior
Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Default 87 yo twins arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Awesome! May I ask what the bracing is on the guitars and the years that they were made? Where did you fined them?

Thanks! Got from two dealers. Kroydon definitely on the Martin 00 spectrum in terms of tone. Little richer and deeper and more sustain than Tuxedo. Very close to my 1926 00-18. Here are the specs:

Kroydon-Bought from Folkway Guitars in Canada. Had for less than 24 hours before it was sold. Gibson’s first budget instrument brand, with the first flat-top guitars, mandolins, and banjos rolling out of Kalamazoo in late 1929, and the last some two years later. The flat-top guitars built during that short period in 1930 are among the most lightly built and beguilingly special acoustics ever made by Gibson. Although not for everyone - due to their fragile build and the extra light strings they run - these featherweight instruments offer the utmost in intimacy, subtlety, and responsiveness to a light to medium hand. This Kel Kroydon weighs in at 2.6 lbs with strings, which is about 25% lighter than one built a year later. The Kel Kroydon’s body is identical in construction to the early Gold Sparkle Gibson L-2 models built at the same time. The braces are shockingly small and narrow - measuring nearly half as tall as braces in later guitars – and the bridge plate is not much more than a veneer of maple at forty-thousandths of an inch thick (1mm). The top is also stunningly thin and has noticeable deflection around the bridge and soundhole to match. The guitar’s neck has full and round carve that’s not massive and, with its nut width of 1-3/4”, feels like a 50s Gibson neck that’s just a hair wider. This avoids bowing seen in thin necks in later models. The bridge pins are set at 2-3/8, and the scale is 24-3/4.

Tuxedo l00-Bought from Thunder Road guitars in Portland, Oregon. One of employee’s guitars. 12-fret Gibson L-00 sporting its original black finish and white pickguard. Weighing in at 3 pounds 1 ounce, it’s a featherweight guitar with surprising volume and bell-like clarity. The action is great and it plays cleanly all the way up the neck. This L-00 is an 85+ year-old guitar which is as lively and musical today as it was at its birth. This guitar is all original except for a replaced bridge and bridge plate, one small replaced finger brace, and a professional crack repair along bottom of fingerboard. The guitar had a neck reset in the past so playability is excellent. There is a bit of bellying between the soundhole and the bridge which we often find in these lightly built guitars. Original 3-on-a-plate tuners, ebony nut, and rare white pickguard. 12 fret models were made only for the first six months of 1932... And never again. The L-00 250 batch number indicates 1932.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikiekimi View Post
Super jealous...I just got my first Kalamazoo KG-14 ('38 vintage) and can relate to everything you're saying.

Love those! They’ve gotten pricey!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion