The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Great ideas so far, everyone! To the ones who have suggested custom builds, I would probably go to Tim McKnight because we had a little bit of a friendship during the days when I was a Moderator here at AGF and I trust them. Production guitars, I'm leaning towards Martin (D41 or 35) or a Taylor Grand Auditorium (814). This comment may ruffle a feather or two, but my Taylor 110e (which is their entry-level dread) has a substantially better build quality and almost as good of a tone when compared to my last Gibson (a Hummingbird Pro) so to go to an 800 series Taylor is a very attractive choice. And of course, Martin has always been an option because of their sound, quality and heritage. The Martin sound seems to fit my playing style.

To those who have sent condolences, thank you so much! Keep the guitar suggestions coming . . . .
I’d definitely give Tim a call. If I had the means that’s what I’d do. I’m not in the market for a dread but he had several dreads that made me forget about my lust for a Martin dress. I do love his SDG and Mini Mac models though.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Sorry for the loss of your mother, Mark.

I am also going to suggest the custom route. I received an inheritance after I lost my mom back in 2004. I set aside an amount to have a custom guitar made. I had an inlay put on the headstock to honor my grandmother (on my mother's side) so the guitar really honors both of them. It is a beautiful instrument that is a joy to play and is also very meaningful to me.

If you do find a Martin, Collings or other dread that you really like, you can also have an inlay added by the wonderful selection of inlay artists that work on guitars. Jimmi Wingert did mine and she does fabulous work.

Enjoy the journey of this special guitar and I hope that the memories of your mom continue to bring you comfort.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

You know, I'm not a Gibson guy, but I played this one at CME the other day and it was insane from strumming and sound perspective:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...tural/14735402

It outplayed everything in the room including a canon of an 8k Collings Dread.

Also, I would tell you to check out Furch. They are very much like Taylor in tone wise, but I think more consistent with their build. They make a killer dread and RS Dread.

Here is the configurator if you want: https://furchguitars.com/us/guitar-configurator/

I have a Grand Auditorium with Alpine top and Cocobolo B/S, and it is an absolute monster of a guitar. From nice and soft to big and great strummings. It really loves 80/20's. THey are made in the Czech Republic and come with a killer Hiscox case.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:06 PM

Mark, so sorry. I hope the guitar you purchase will bring back the best memories.

I also love Collings guitars, and the company for its remarkable support. From Collings, I would suggest a T or traditional dread. The D1AT is a remarkable guitar.

I would also think about a cocobolo dread from Huss and Dalton. I've never heard a better dread for a rich and balanced voice than an H&D cocobolo dread with an adi top.

If you might be interested in something similar to J45s, but in my experience a leap beyond, the Huss and Dalton slope-shoulder DS is a great guitar.

And because your taste is, well your taste, I'd also recommend listening to all the high end Martin variants. Don't know if there are any Outlaws out there to be purchased but Gary's recordings of his on this site are sensational.

Last edited by jrb715; 11-01-2019 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:36 PM

Sorry for your loss. For that kind of money, if it were me, I'd go vintage. Norman's has a 1968 Gibson Hummingbird less than $5000 right now. That's the kind of stuff I'd be looking at. Best of luck.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:39 PM

Sorry for your loss. I lost my mom in July and it is hard. I too got a little money most of it I put into an IRA. I did take a bit out and got a new 814ce dlx. I got to play one when they first came out and fell in love with it. It was on my someday list. Took the plunge and got one still in the box for a good price. I was interested in Collings and Santa Cruz but I knew I loved the 814 especially its playability. Plus I didn't want to jump to the 5 to 6 thousand dollar range. I was watching the niners game tonight. Both me and my mother were fans. I was thinking how happy she would have been to see them at 7-0. Dang.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Runaway Tomato

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! It's still probably months until the Estate Account is released and the funds are available, so there is still plenty of time for me to make a decision, so I'm looking at all of your suggestions seriously. There's two or three guitar outlets where I live, so I've been out and about playing instruments: and the one that has stood out to me, and is the "leader" on my wish list right now, is the one suggested by pdidmh1 in the previous post: Taylor 814ce DLX ($3,999 @ GC). It is just amazing in both feel and sound, and is mighty handsome too. I'm not saying that's the one I'll end up with, but if I had to pick one out today . . . . .
Former AGF Moderator
Old 11-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

How about something like an early ‘60s Martin 00-21 New Yorker? Or a mid-60s D35?

I confess to living a bit vicariously here, lol.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:59 AM

Sorry for your loss, Mark.
I just got the Wood & Stream catalog from Taylor and they have a really sweet looking Taylor 814ce-LTD with Sitka Spruce top and Blackheart Sassafras back and sides.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Like the OP and too many of us, I lost my mom this year as well. And though I am new to the guitar (though a woodwinds player for 55 years), I bought a new to me guitar in her honor. It is a Bourgeois Slope D slot head 12 fret. It was made in Lewiston, Maine, about a mile from where I grew up, and about two miles from where my mom was born, grew up, lived her life and passed. Every time I put that guitar in my hands, I hear her voice.
"Practice more. David, get off that computer and practice more."
Ya, mom. I hear you.
Got to go.
Best of luck with a wonderful project of the heart.
David
Old 11-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

So sorry for your loss Mark. Your mothers memory will live in your heart forever.

There are many great guitars out there. I would suggest Huss and Dalton. They build some of the finest instruments in the world. Their tone, build quality and attention to detail is second to none.

Check their website or call them to locate a dealer near you. Your budget will get you a fantastic guitar.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 11-24-2019, 10:21 PM
Runaway Tomato

Again, thank you all so much for your well-wishes. In my 10+ years here at the AGF it has proven to be an amazing group of like-minded friends. I have chosen a guitar, and will be able to buy it probably the middle of this coming February - I played one and it sounded sooooo good it broke my heart. It will be a Martin D41 in Sunburst.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 11-24-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Again, thank you all so much for your well-wishes. In my 10+ years here at the AGF it has proven to be an amazing group of like-minded friends. I have chosen a guitar, and will be able to buy it probably the middle of this coming February - I played one and it sounded sooooo good it broke my heart. It will be a Martin D41 in Sunburst.
Nice choice, it should be excellent.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Sorry for your loss Mark. I lost my mom at the age of 89 also, 2 years ago.

You might change your mind a few dozen times between now and when the funds are available, but that's the part of the fun of acquiring a new guitar.

Martin does make a nice burst.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-25-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Lovely choice!
May it bring you years of playing pleasure and warm and wonderful memories of your mom.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion