The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Default Wakefield Fine Classical Guitars - a very pleasant expeience

I’ve had a vey nice thing happen. I bought a guitar on eBay for $400, just wanted to have something in the office and drag around. There was something off about it and I didn’t play it much. I had my musical partner play it and he agreed - there wasn’t any room to fret the high e string. Must have had the guitar for years - finally took it to my luthier - John McKenna who I commissioned to built my classical (I have several of his instruments). He fixed it - said it had a broken brace, and he explained the bridge - don’t slot the strings, the strings are outside of the slots, and thus each string has individual intonation. So I took it home and it’s playing like a dream - it’s not as balanced as John’s guitars and maybe the base its a little to boomy, but it’s really nice.

So here’s the question. The label says Wakefield Fine Classical Guitars - USA - 1998 #72. I’ve not been able to find any reference to these guitars, but would just like to know, and if the maker is still around send him a nice note about how much I’m enjoying the guitar. Anyone ever heard of Wakefield before?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical