The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: Hybrid or CF Exclusively?
Hybrid (Wooden & CF guitar) 16 48.48%
Carbon Fiber guitar exclusively 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

So, what we've learned from this poll: those who own and play carbon fiber guitars are... guitar players!

It isn't necessarily about CF vs wood, but about finding the guitar(s) that allow you to live and play the way you like. Well, I would like to play better, but that isn't my guitar's fault.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
..... So, do will still
I find that still to be confusing. Should it maybe read: do/will/still? Reminds me of the running meme for "eats shoots leaves". Depending on the punctuation, the meaning can change dramatically. Eats, shoots, [and then] leaves. Or Eats shoots & leaves. Sorry to be cranky on a Monday morning.

In either event, it does not change my answer. While I like wood guitars and wood in general, I appreciate to the low maintenance carefree carbon lifestyle. That does not mean I give up anything in the tone department. When I lived in Alaska, it took considerable effort to maintain good wood guitars -- two dampened sponge devices in each case that were bone dry in a week, all guitars living in their cases all the time, plus running 8-10 gallons per day through a cabinet humidifier for the sake of the grand piano. I've put in my lifetime quota of humidification chores.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:04 AM

I love cooking my dogs and my guitars

or

I love cooking, my dogs, and my guitars

Eat! You're dinner.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I find that still to be confusing. Should it maybe read: do/will/still? Reminds me of the running meme for "eats shoots leaves". Depending on the punctuation, the meaning can change dramatically. Eats, shoots, [and then] leaves. Or Eats shoots & leaves. Sorry to be cranky on a Monday morning.

In either event, it does not change my answer. While I like wood guitars and wood in general, I appreciate to the low maintenance carefree carbon lifestyle. That does not mean I give up anything in the tone department. When I lived in Alaska, it took considerable effort to maintain good wood guitars -- two dampened sponge devices in each case that were bone dry in a week, all guitars living in their cases all the time, plus running 8-10 gallons per day through a cabinet humidifier for the sake of the grand piano. I've put in my lifetime quota of humidification chores.
Do you still have the grand piano or have you gone digital(or do you have both)? (Doesn’t Kramster have a grand piano and CF guitars in the same low humidity environment?)

Times flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

When you were a kid did you take the bus to school or did you take your lunch?
Old 08-03-2020, 01:22 PM

The 1920 Steinway grand piano went to a new home just before it's 98th birthday. We replaced it with a good digital piano with weighted keys, which covers our limited needs these days . While digital isn't quite the same thing as a great acoustic piano, we recaptured a full quarter of our smallish living room, and don't have to see the piano tuner twice a year anymore. I will let K-man answer for himself.

I rode the school bus and carried my lunch. Isn't the English language fun??
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The 1920 Steinway grand piano went to a new home just before it's 98th birthday. We replaced it with a good digital piano with weighted keys, which covers our limited needs these days . While digital isn't quite the same thing as a great acoustic piano, we recaptured a full quarter of our smallish living room, and don't have to see the piano tuner twice a year anymore. I will let K-man answer for himself.

I rode the school bus and carried my lunch. Isn't the English language fun??
A school bus AND lunch? Wow! I had to walk to school and had to make my own crappy lunch.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:28 AM

I voted hybrid as I'll always have at least one wooden guitar around. It's nice to have access to both worlds though. The carbon guitars will almost always get the nod for gigging and travelling while also logging lots of home time as well.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:29 PM

I'm enjoying carbon fiber for the practical benefits. And, they sound like "good" guitars to my ears. However, I have not played a man made material guitar that compares to my Martin Authentic. If I did, I'd buy a truck load of them. lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber