The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-09-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Preamp or DI for Passive Pickup?

I recently bought a new guitar with a passive pickup -- a Yamaha CSF3M. While I mostly play at home, I sometimes have opportunities to play with others and would like to get my own inexpensive preamp or DI so I won't get caught out.

I am looking at:

1) Behringer ADI21
2) Behringer DI100
2) LR Baggs Gigpro

There are obviously big differences in these, but I am new to this and looking for some guidance. Cost vs durability vs flexibility are bouncing around in my head. The Gigpro is more than I want to spend on something I won't use that much right now, but should I be looking at this price range to get adequate quality and versatility?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:30 PM

Since you don't know what you want in detail, the Behringer ADI21 is a great choice.

It is decent quality for a super low price. Use it for awhile and you will either

1. Be satisfied with no need to look any further, or
2. Know more precisely WHAT feature or characteristic you desire, so you can go find that upgrade. (and keep the ADI21 around as a backup or loaner)

If you aren't playing out a lot, many of the possible features of preamps are not going to be applicable/desirable.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Talking

A passive piezo pickup needs to see an input impedance of one Meg ohm. This could be as simple as a passive DI. Most if not all acoustic pre amps have this. All of the devices you list will work, but like almost all products, quality comes at a price. To me, that starts with something like the Baggs PARA DI and then rises in cost from there. Others would say a Grace Felix at a minimum.

So for casual use, you'll be fine, though I would not apply the word quality to any of them. It's like when I bought monitors, I'd love to get QSCs, but Beheringer works ok at a third the cost. Would not call them quality, but good for the price.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-09-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Since you don't know what you want in detail, the Behringer ADI21 is a great choice.

It is decent quality for a super low price. Use it for awhile and you will either

2. Know more precisely WHAT feature or characteristic you desire, so you can go find that upgrade. (and keep the ADI21 around as a backup or loaner)

If you aren't playing out a lot, many of the possible features of preamps are not going to be applicable/desirable.
I'll second this. Then, start listening to what others are using. You will find as many opinions as there are guitars.

If you're going to spend more than the $35 that the AD!21 costs, I'd look at the ToneDexter https://audiosprockets.com/. IMO, it will give you the truest acoustic sound plugged in.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-09-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post

I'll second this.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-09-2020, 03:30 PM

Of the units you've mentioned the adi21 is the best choice for price/value but the Baggs Gigpro is better quality.

Gigpro can clip to your strap which is nice.

The adi21 provides a balanced XLR out which is very useful for connecting to PA whereas the Gigpro provides an unbalanced signal (if I'm wrong in this someone will correct me) which would generally require a separate DI box to connect to a pro system.

Behringer di100 is not a great box, if you can do without controls (depending on where you are) there are various better options like Orchid electronics in the UK.

Other options to consider:

Zoom A1 four - many control options and bits to fiddle with

Boss ge-7 - rock solid, great EQ, unbalanced out but works well with passive DI, i.e., Whirlwind Imp3. - classic combination.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
A passive piezo pickup needs to see an input impedance of one Meg ohm. This could be as simple as a passive DI.
A passive pickup is much better served with an active DI (powered by battery, plug-in PSU or phantom power from a mixing desk). To use a passive DI some kind of preamp should be used upstream.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

I would suggest a Baggs Para DI. If you look around, you can find a used one for less than $100. They work great, sound great and are pretty much bulletproof. I rarely use a preamp, but I always have my Para DI with me just in case. It makes life much easier.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-09-2020, 06:42 PM

If you can find a used Yamaha AG Stomp, it unlocks the potential of the Zero Impact equipped Yamahas. Or the THR5a, or the new THR ii series with the acoustic setting.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 PM

I will line up behind the others and recommend the Behringer ADI21. I own one as well as a few other boxes including a LR Baggs Venue DI. That unit is 10 times the price but I reach for the Behringer more times then not. It’s simple and it works well
Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!

I bought an ADI21 for now and will keep my eyes open for used equipment in thr future.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybrook View Post
Thanks for all the great advice!

I bought an ADI21 for now and will keep my eyes open for used equipment in thr future.
I think this is a good start.

I would suggest watching this forum for a few months before you decide to buy something else. You'll find there are multiple approaches, and we all have our favorites.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-09-2020, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Won't buy anything Behringer. I know people use it I have too , in the past. Save your money buy something with a bit more quality. I use Radial JDI through Allen & Heath Mix wizard into JBL Prx 815's Eq the mixer. If you are playing in a little acoustic amp. The Baggs is a nice choice.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Won't buy anything Behringer. I know people use it I have too , in the past. Save your money buy something with a bit more quality. I use Radial JDI through Allen & Heath Mix wizard into JBL Prx 815's Eq the mixer. If you are playing in a little acoustic amp. The Baggs is a nice choice.
I have multiple Behringer products and I've never had a problem. Apparently they had quality control problems at one time, but their recent products have been very reliable and of excellent quality.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

RE: Behringer. I had a cheap mixer that was a ripoff of a Mackie. It was garbage. I gave it away. Said no more Behringer for me ever. But a decade later, they had sold, and they developed a business plan that delivered. They make everything, from resisters and capacitors, to knobs, enclosures, speakers and pretty much anything going into their products. Their economy of scale is as advanced as anything. When we needed monitors for our open mic venue, a trusted store recommended Behringer 8" powered speakers. Well under $300, and not wanting to spend for QSCs, we bought a pair. They sound great and are light. A very good value. On another level, so are our QSC mains.

So things change. My old Mackie mixer is thirty years old and still delivering too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification