The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Dana Bourgeois and back response.

https://acousticguitar.com/guitar-gu...eid=4ec58168ce

Real nice explanation of different algorithms and tonewood.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:44 PM

Thanks for passing this along; it was interesting reading especially concerning the issue of forward projection vs more enveloping sound.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Thank you for this.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-15-2019, 04:22 PM

A nice short explanation as far as it goes. I'd just add that an 'active' back can increase the output of the guitar in the lowest range of frequencies; the 'bass reflex' range. This runs (roughly) up to about the pitch of the open G fundamental, although the greatest effect is around an octave lower than that, give or take. Above that range, and especially from the open high E fundamental up, a back that is too loose will cost power.

Here a lot depends on the mass of the back (IMO) and, to a lesser extent (again IMO), the damping. A heavy back with low damping is probably the 'best', which explains the popularity of rosewoods. In any event, most of the sound is still in the top: a well made back of, say, maple, can be 'better' than a poorly made one of Brazilian rosewood. It is distressingly easy to make a bad guitar from good wood.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:35 PM

Thanks for sharing! A great article from one of the most knowledgeable luthiers In the business concerning make wood into premier instruments!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM

All that I can say is that when I take care to not let my fat belly muffle the back, the sound of my McAlister becomes absolutely three-dimensional.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:19 AM

Alan,

Thank you for adding to the information. A question: so is a lightly damped cocobolo (a relatively heavy wood) theoretically an ideal back wood?
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
A nice short explanation as far as it goes. I'd just add that an 'active' back can increase the output of the guitar in the lowest range of frequencies; the 'bass reflex' range. This runs (roughly) up to about the pitch of the open G fundamental, although the greatest effect is around an octave lower than that, give or take. Above that range, and especially from the open high E fundamental up, a back that is too loose will cost power.

Here a lot depends on the mass of the back (IMO) and, to a lesser extent (again IMO), the damping. A heavy back with low damping is probably the 'best', which explains the popularity of rosewoods. In any event, most of the sound is still in the top: a well made back of, say, maple, can be 'better' than a poorly made one of Brazilian rosewood. It is distressingly easy to make a bad guitar from good wood.
Increase the output of the guitar where, Alan? Out front, or from the perspective of the player. A I had understood it, a more active back will take some of the out front perceived volume but add to the effect on the tone that the back has. After all, the energy input is always going to stay the same: what is imparted into the guitar by the strings.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
After all, the energy input is always going to stay the same: what is imparted into the guitar by the strings.
You can have a guitar string stretched out between two nails in a board and picked - same energy.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-16-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
You can have a guitar string stretched out between two nails in a board and picked - same energy.
Exactly. It is what the guitar does with that energy...
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for posting this. Good read! My question is: how did the Gibson luthiers from the 30s and 40s get such huge projection with backs that were less stiff?

Flammang J35
Martin D-18A
Martin D-28CA
Gibson L-00 12-fret 1932
Gibson J-45 1945
Kay K-24 1949
A bunch of electrics
Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM

In general, do the various guitar builders adopt an "active" or "stiff" back approach? Or will a given builder vary the approach depending on the model (e.g. dread vs parlor)?

I'm guessing that Santa Cruz, for example, tends to use the "active" back approach.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaktone View Post
Thanks for posting this. Good read! My question is: how did the Gibson luthiers from the 30s and 40s get such huge projection with backs that were less stiff?
This subject does open up a lot of questions.

I have a 5lb Macassar ebony back guitar that apparently relies on the top for the tone. I have a late 50's Gibson that I can feel in my ribs.

I know that too thin of sides can cause the neck joint to move and need a reset. I had a Martin that had two CS warrantied resets and on the third go round they declined another reset. They said the sides were no longer up for the job. BTW: They were wonderful through both 7 month repair cycles.

So a question is how light or active can a back be designed to and matched for what grade stiffness of braced spruce top?

Are there some folks who commission active lightly built sides and backs for a type of top? Hmm...
Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Really cool read, thank you for sharing!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion