The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
It’s a different company. I’ll post a YouTube video if it’s worthy.
So what company is this 8 hour wireless set? I haven't been able to find anything that states this.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:15 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I just discovered Caparelli guitars located in Toronto, Ontario. For any Canadian buyers who want to avoid the exchange rate, shipping and duties, this is a good option as their wireless system is identical to the Carvin WG5 and apparently they released it first. The manufacturer of the actual wireless system just also sold their wireless system to Carvin later on. I guess brands just buy the system from the actual developer and then sell if under their name.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Can anyone confirm if the carvin 5.8 ghz work with active pickup that uses a 9 volt battery. . My xvive works with baggs m80 that uses a cr2032 battery , but not with Gibson that has element pickup with 9 volt battery.
My work around is a female 1\4 " to 1\4" coupler and a short 1' cable between guitar Jack and xvive wireless. I sure would like to just plug the wireless into my guitar without the workaround ..
Can someone confirm if the Carvin 5.8 ghz or look alike brand will work with active pickup that uses a 9 volt battery will work without the power whine noise ?
Old 12-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
Can anyone confirm if the carvin 5.8 ghz work with active pickup that uses a 9 volt battery. . My xvive works with baggs m80 that uses a cr2032 battery , but not with Gibson that has element pickup with 9 volt battery. My work around is a female 1\4 " to 1\4" coupler and a short 1' cable between guitar g
Jack and xvive wireless. I sure would like to just plug the wireless into my guitar without the workaround ..
Can someone confirm if the Carvin 5.8 ghz or look alike brand will work with active pickup that uses a 9 volt battery will work without the power whine noise ?
Yes, the Carvin works flawlessly with every active system I've used it with, so please check my signature instruments.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-20-2019, 06:19 PM

I just tested this system. Sound quality is quite good, definitely on par with the Line 6 G10 and Sennheiser XSW that I tried. I was playing a strat through my Carr Sportsman amp and I did notice a low but noticeable interference buzz. I tried different channels and this seemed to help but I need to see if in fact the buzz is always there or if it was just the one channel.

My only knock and this is the same as I had with the Sennheiser is that the wireless does add hiss to the signal. I always compare it to what you would expect with a lot of compressor pedals or a low gain overdrive. When I am playing I don't notice it so it's not that loud but I am almost wondering if the wireless is acting as a buffer and as a result, the hiss increases since it's boosting the signal a bit. I can't find much info on this so it's hard to say. The odd thing is, my G10 is still dead quiet.

My next test is to try it with my acoustic with active pickups.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:40 PM

Got the ZXK version and finally got to try it out.

So far, very nice, dead quiet sound, even using single coils around my laptop!

One very odd twist, though - when the wireless is on, my laptop internet is SLOW - TO THE POINT OF TIMING OUT. Doesn't matter what website, rebooting doesn't help.

Turn off the wireless: standard laptop operation.

Has anyone run into this? BTW, doesn't matter which of the 4 freq channels I'm using, same problem.

I've got more troubleshooting to do, but I thought I'd ask here first

Thanks much!

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troisnoir View Post
Got the ZXK version and finally got to try it out.

So far, very nice, dead quiet sound, even using single coils around my laptop!

One very odd twist, though - when the wireless is on, my laptop internet is SLOW - TO THE POINT OF TIMING OUT. Doesn't matter what website, rebooting doesn't help.

Turn off the wireless: standard laptop operation.

Has anyone run into this? BTW, doesn't matter which of the 4 freq channels I'm using, same problem.

I've got more troubleshooting to do, but I thought I'd ask here first

Thanks much!
I bought the same ZXK 5.8 Ghz system, and it did the same thing to my internet wi-fi, so I had to change my wi-fi to use the 2.4 Ghz range instead.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:45 PM

Aaahhhh.....

Seems to me my wireless internet is 5.8ghz, for better performance...I forgot.

I'll try running it at 2.4 and see if it fixes it!

Thanks!

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 01-28-2020, 05:50 PM

That was it!

I guess I can't run everything I own at full-bore now...

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 PM

You're welcome.

Wait--what?!! I didn't realise there was a speed difference between 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz...?

So it looks like 2.4 Ghz is slower, but has more range, and 5.8 Ghz is faster, but has more limited range???

I didn't know this until now, so I will have to see if I want to keep my internet on 2.4 Ghz and keep using the 5.8 Ghz guitar wireless (which is working very well), or get a 2.4 guitar wireless in order to put my internet back to 5.8 Ghz.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Thats the main advantage of 5.8 - speed. But the secondary advantage (for now) is that it is a less cluttered band. Most wireless devices work on the 2.4 band, which has slightly better range and a better ability to pass thru physical barriers (walls and such) so its really good for cordless phones and other items that need to work all around the house. But it is a crowded band - so if you want speed and less interference, 5.8 might be your friend. Since you will almost always have line of sight between guitar and amp, pass thru is less of an issue.

If you are seeing a problem on 5.8 with you home computer, log into your router and try a different channel there - its not restricted to just the 4. But it is odd that its causing a problem - that may be worth looking into more - there are utilities that can scan the frequencies and giver you info on whats in your area. I also just bought the 5.8 system, so I may try turning everything on and seeing what might be going on -
Old 01-28-2020, 07:43 PM

The only speed advantage I would expect to see would be from not sharing the same bandwidth. Neither band is going to give a difference in speed otherwise.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:04 PM

I tested my WG5 at a show this weekend. For some reason with my acoustic, my tone was a bit distorted. I didn't have enough time to play around with it but I wasn't getting this at home. I am thinking that possibly my volume was boosted a bit more with the wireless system and it was over driving my aura but I will need to test a bit more.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:03 PM

When rehearsing at a friend’s home the unit took out his wi-if. Worked great at two coffee house gigs this month.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I use 5ghz at home and haven’t noticed it interfering. I did with a different system that I tried though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification