The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Did you buy (or get) your first electric guitar:
On looks 22 27.50%
Your "hero" played it / band / song 16 20.00%
You really thought it was the best for you (educated purchase) 18 22.50%
Other 24 30.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM

It was the only lefty in the store. It was a 1993 fender american standard the I finally got rid of. never really bonded with that guitar. never cared for the color, or the neck. I replaced it with a 2000 fender American deluxe that I love. great color, fantastic neck and the factory noiseless pick up are smokin good.

1998 Taylor 810CE
2005 Gibson Les Paul
1984ish Epiphone Sheraton II
1980's Sigma 12 string
1954 Gretsch Synchromatic
1993 Ovation Celebrity
2000 Fender American Deluxe
1970's Lotus LP
2009 Home built
2010 Taylor T5C2 Koa
Old 11-12-2013, 08:13 PM

My parents bought me my first electric when I was in about 12 or so. It was a Martin Stingray. Red body with white stripes all over it. I picked it because it look like Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein. Even got a 15w Gorilla amp. Folks ended up selling both as I never played it. It wasn't cool learning Mary had a little lamb on my EVH knock off.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM

It was a birthday gift from Dad, once he felt I progressed enough on acoustic. I'm sure he bought it on looks. It was a sunburst entry level Hamer.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM

Fun thread ... my dad was my greatest encourager ... he got me into acoustic guitar at around 6 years old ... at about age 10, he decided to get an electric guitar for me (I had not asked for one, but he was always thinking ahead ... pretty cool guy and I miss him) ...

Anyway, some man in town had an electric and an amp for sale ... that was my first electric ... like Bob's, this thing had no name (to protect the reputation of whoever made it) ... it was really a piece of junk (my dad was no player and had little knowledge about quality instruments ... he did, however, have a limited income and that was the deciding factor) ...

It was loosley patterned after a Tele ... the electronics were flaky ... the pickups worked sometimes ... I learned to thump them when they went silent which would sometimes revive them for a while ... very frustrating ... needless to say I pretty much abandoned electric until years later when I got a Fender Strat (that purchase was my own and I knew the tone I was looking for) ...

Back to the first electric ... the amp was actually not bad ... an Epiphone Galaxie in mint condition ... not a collector's item but I wish I'd kept it ... of course, given the junky guitar, I couldn't tell if the amp was any good ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Yo Dru...this is how I got Spinal Tapped into my first Les Paul which now resides with my oldest son...and it has sung "Freeway Jam" and "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" many times back in my band and heydays!

Old 11-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It was the only lefty in the store. It was a 1993 fender american standard the I finally got rid of. never really bonded with that guitar. never cared for the color, or the neck. I replaced it with a 2000 fender American deluxe that I love. great color, fantastic neck and the factory noiseless pick up are smokin good.
My best friend in High School bought his guitar because it was the only, or one of the only, lefties in the store. I still remember, it was a Peavey Tracer back in the late '80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
Yo Dru...this is how I got Spinal Tapped into my first Les Paul which now resides with my oldest son...and it has sung "Freeway Jam" and "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" many times back in my band and heydays!

Hey Noledog, I'm going to have to listen to some of Jeff's tunes ... I think I already told you that and I still haven't. What album do you like best?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Noledog, I'm going to have to listen to some of Jeff's tunes ... I think I already told you that and I still haven't. What album do you like best?
Well I like a lot of 'em Dru but hey why not start where I started? Give Blow By Blow a listen. I've heard Jeff comment on how much he liked this album and that he tried to get back to this albums feel and playing on his Emotion and Commotion CD. Wired; There and Back; and Guitar Shop are great too.

That Jeff Beck scarf you saw in the electric rig hanging on the wall was from his concert I went to last summer...awesome!

He has a limited edition Ox Blood Les Paul but mostly plays his signature Strat so crank up those killer stacks of yours and Space Boogie! Then you can bring it back to your acoustic to one of his rare acoustic pieces off Beck-Ola and his rendition of Greensleeves.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 AM

In 1987 there was an ad in the local newspaper that said 'Gibson Les Pauls 1/3 off with any trade'. I had a Japanese clone, so I took it to that store and they had one left, a custom black beauty. At the time I didn't know the difference between a custom or standard, but it was black like my clone, so I made the trade. It was my belated college grad gift to myself. I played the heck out of it for many years and still have it.

So, yeah, I bought it on looks I guess. Heck it was just a few months ago that I learned it was a factory second ('sec' is stamped under the serial number - but I still don't know (and don't care) why it was deemed a factory second).

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
In 1987 there was an ad in the local newspaper that said 'Gibson Les Pauls 1/3 off with any trade'. I had a Japanese clone, so I took it to that store and they had one left, a custom black beauty. At the time I didn't know the difference between a custom or standard, but it was black like my clone, so I made the trade. It was my belated college grad gift to myself. I played the heck out of it for many years and still have it.

So, yeah, I bought it on looks I guess. Heck it was just a few months ago that I learned it was a factory second ('sec' is stamped under the serial number - but I still don't know (and don't care) why it was deemed a factory second).
Sounds like a great trade to me. Looks like you still have it, based on your sig?
Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM

That is correct Dru.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 AM

My first and second and third and fourth...well you get the picture.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 AM
Guest4562

On price. We were starting a band and I wanted any electric I could afford.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
My first and second and third and fourth...well you get the picture.
LOL, I get the picture and there's nothing wrong with that. Whatever makes you want to pick up and play the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
On price. We were starting a band and I wanted any electric I could afford.
Great way to go. What did you get?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Bought it cause I had to have a Les Paul and saw an ad in the local paper. Remember those days? $550. 1974 custom 20th Anniversary, got very lucky, one of the last of the Kalamazoo electrics. Probably wasted on me, rarely play it. I'm a acoustic guy.

2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM

Hohner Rockwood Les Paul. Because it was as close as I could get to what Neil Young played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars