The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Just for laughs , next time you change strings try a set of EJ-21's, drop the bridge, and give the truss rod a tweak if necessary; I think you'll notice a quantum leap in both acoustic and electric tone as you get some "wood" into it - if not, you can always go back to your current setup (BTW, if you do go back try the EXL-115W set - the wound G will intonate more accurately on the stock "lightning-bolt" bridge)...
steve: the exl115 with the wound 3rd is exactly what i use. the guitar is basically a cheap es175 and the p90 sounds great.

i'll have to try those ej21 strings next time. thanks for the tip.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 PM

I got it with massive flatwounds in the 80's, and heavy cigarette plaque...it was dull and grey.

First shop I took it to, to verify it's health, cut the strings off and replaced them with something I have never stopped calling idiotic...7's, maybe 9's realistically...strings bottomed out in the nut and buzzed,totally unplayable...I don't know what the guy (shop owner!) was thinking ...I got it out of there ASAP!

I got it set up with 10's because I was a beginning player, have since moved to 11's, and was curious about LaBella 12-52 nickel, but not easy to find for me. Even Elderly said 12 week lead time...so what I have is fine for now.

I have some EX115W's, I think...sounds familiar anyway...the EJ21's should be easy to get.

I wonder what would happen with something like Tonerite...probably make the laminate plies rattle ;O).

Oh, only the factory order number code is visible on this model, no model number.

I don't play it enough to justify changing strings...sad...

Been having trigger finger problems...steroids working right now, but too busy...I guess we all have this balance of time issue...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars