The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Reso/Dobro questions

I'm planning on buying a round neck resonator and was wondering if anybody has any experience with Hot Rod Steel guitars or Republic guitars? I had a square neck dobro but I get bad wrist cramps playing it on my lap so now I'm going to try a round neck.

If you know of any other brand in the $500-$700 range that is worth looking at let me know.
Kirn strat
Taylor GA4 short scale
Kirn barnbuster Tele
Gretsch 5120
1988 Fender AVRI strat
Republic tricone resonator
Breedlove AC250SM 12 string
Brian May RS replica
Old 07-31-2011, 02:51 PM

I own two resos : a tricone and a biscuit cone, bought some 5 years ago.
Disclaimer : I don't play blues and I don't slide.
I love the sound of resonators for fingerstyle (*my* fingerstyle anyway...)

The two guitars originated from Republic.
I wasn't expecting much, but I did put them apart and upgraded them : tightening everything, put National cones and better tuners, fret job, and generally do what has to be done and isn't at those factories.
It would cost much to buy the pieces, let alone find them.

Advantage of the resos is that they are much more easily customized than wooden boxes : it's mechanics.
I'm very happy with the result. But I'm a definitive DoYourSelfer, and I love that. Not for everybody.

Depending on your needs, the Republic can be ok right out of the box, tho. Better than the Rogue/Johnson/Dean/etc... lines which are at the bottom.
The Hot Rods seems to be positioned somewhere between Republic and National (which is the real deal, but you know that), Lenny's idea being to attract more guitar players toward resonators in offering a decent product at a decent price, a good idea indeed.
I would suggest having a look at this thread :
http://www.guitarseminars.com/gs/vie...f9bd5b350ef38d

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 07-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Here's a link to Paul Beard Guitars Goldtone line. Beard makes the best reso's and Goldtone is his affordable line. I own the round neck hog cutaway and love it.
http://beardguitars.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=GTRG

I shopped for a round neck for along time and when I found this I jumped on it. I've had it for about three years now and would by it again.

Best,

Blues
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM

I bought a Republic some time ago and I am happy with it. Loud (but heavy!) guitar. One reason I wanted it was for the 1.75 inch nut. But when it arrived, I felt the strings were too close together and there was room on both sides of the neck. So I had a new nut made, which made the guitar much more playable to me. But another $60 unexpected costs. I think the tuning machines are cheap and maybe someday I'll swap them out, but aside from that I was pleased with the quality.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM

I know that it isn't the brands you described, but I believe that my Fender FR-50 resonator is a great buy for a round neck. Of course I'm not a pro at slide, but I like to fiddle with it. It's a single cone and it's a little below your price range. However, they have an acoustic-electric version with a cutaway that is usually about $700.
Yamaha CG-40MA classical guitar
Johnson MA-100 mandolin
Unnamed lap dulcimer
Line 6 Spider 4 120W combo amp
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 PM

I bought a hotrod lapsteel from Lenny at VintageNationals, and I'm absolutely loving it - I assume you've been to his site? He's the only one that sells them, as far as I know. I visited Santa Barbara and tried some of the hotrod round necks, and while they aren't as good as a national, they still are pretty nice. Lots of videos of the hotrods in action at his site - check out the ones with C.W.Stoneking! I've tried a few non-national roundnecks and I quite liked the regal tricones, which are priced competitively. Still, nothing quite like a nationals (if you can afford it).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments