The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Nickel Allergy??

I played one of my acoustics last night for about an hour. This morning I had an itching on the side of my index finger about the area where I barre chords and there is a very small pimple that looks like a poison ivy blister. I'm assuming this might be a possible nickel reaction(?) I'm pretty sure this guitar had phosphor bronze wound strings, but I don't know if the unwounds would have any nickel content. Can frets contain nickel? This guitar with these same strings didn't bother me in less hot, dryer weather, so I'm thinking sweat on my fingers may have may exacerbated a reaction(?) I'm 72 and for all the years I've played acoustics, electrics, and basses I've never had this happen. Just seems odd. How common is this?
Old 08-03-2020, 09:58 AM

The standard fret material for years has been 'nickle silver', an alloy of about 82% copper and 18% nickle (and no silver). Some people have also used stainless steel, which also contains nickle. Brass fret wire has been available, but is generally only used on low end instruments. More recently 'EVO' alloy wire has become available, which is largely copper with some iron and titanium, iirc. It's the gold colored alloy that is commonly used in eyeglass frames. My understanding is that it's now the legal standard for fret wire in Europe, precisely due to nickle allergy issues. It's significantly harder than the usual nickle silver, although not as hard as stainless.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:57 AM

There have been plenty of threads about nickel allergies that can be searched. I don't suffer from it, but some people are drastically affected. Unless you've experienced this kind of rash after playing in the past, my guess is that it may be something else. But that is just a guess. Allergies can be weird in their behavior....
Old 08-03-2020, 12:12 PM

This could very well be a nickel allergy. I started a long and detailed thread about it several years ago. Do a search, its here on AGF and when I get back home I can post the link.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:56 PM

Wink Thread Link

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=432890

Here you go. Hopefully this thread will answer your questions.

Best,

Rick
Old 08-03-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=432890

Here you go. Hopefully this thread will answer your questions.

Best,

Rick
Thanks Rick, I did do a search in the forum which came up with a lot of hits on nickel strings and that link was likely hidden in there with all of them.
Good info in that thread I'll have to read through
Old 08-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Just a few thoughts as I have an allergy to aluminum though my nickel allergy is very slight and tolerable. I have discovered that certain strings have alloys that I am more sensitive to than others. Most string companies will not divulge the alloys that they use so I have just learned which ones are best for me via trial and error. Allergic reactions are one of those things that can be accumulative so you can go for years without a noticeable problem and wake up one day to a more severe reaction. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-03-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Just a few thoughts as I have an allergy to aluminum though my nickel allergy is very slight and tolerable. I have discovered that certain strings have alloys that I am more sensitive to than others. Most string companies will not divulge the alloys that they use so I have just learned which ones are best for me via trial and error. Allergic reactions are one of those things that can be accumulative so you can go for years without a noticeable problem and wake up one day to a more severe reaction. Good luck in finding what works best for you.

Best,
Jayne
Which strings did you find set off your aluminum allergy?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:44 PM

Contact dermatitis.
You might want to try wiping the strings down, or changing the brand of strings.
If I drink from a can without first washing the top of the can, I will get the same type of cold sore. If I don't clean my trumpet mouthpiece before playing same type of cold sore. It's an allergic reaction to something in or on the strings.
If I don't clean my harmonica... same type of cold sore.
It could just be the brand of strings you are using.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion