The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 07-12-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Cool JBL C-38 Baron Loudspeakers?

Hey guys!

Don't want to go "out-of-bounds" regarding our rules... but I could use some input and advice...

I have my Father's set of JBL C-38 Baron speakers (circa 1960-ish). They are far too big for my tiny home, so they're at a friend's house and in use regularly, still sound good. Seems that they are in pretty good shape for 60 year old speakers, maybe 7.5 of 10?

Does anyone know a good place to put them up for sale? I can do it here, being a charter member... but these things are pretty big and bulky, so shipping wouldn't be a viable option...

As you can see, there's quite a difference on the insides of these two... in the first set, the woofer is obviously crumbling at the edges, while in the second of the two, the speaker looks like it's been re-coned... also, the innards of the one are quite different than the other?

I'm planning on offering them at a price below what I've seen them listed for, in order to facilitate a reasonably quick sale... Craiglist? Marketplace? Here? I'm strongly against dealing with Ebay...

Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks, in advance...

John

(Moderators - I hope I haven't transgressed the rules, again! Let me know if this does and I'll fix it.)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 07-16-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Try the Lansing Heritage Forums, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Bob... I am now a member of that site! Need to get some pictures of the speakers before I start posting about them, though... the visual helps a lot.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-23-2020, 04:35 PM

The "crumbling" you see is not the cone, but the foam "surround" that made to do most of the heavy flexing. They woudn't need reconing, just a new surround. Best done by someone experienced with the right solvents, tools, etc. but still a lot more reasonable and doable than a recone.

You might look on ebay etc and see if the speakers, crossover, etc. could be sold without the cabinets for more than you could get locally for the speakers locally.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackathorn View Post
The "crumbling" you see is not the cone, but the foam "surround" that made to do most of the heavy flexing. They woudn't need reconing, just a new surround. Best done by someone experienced with the right solvents, tools, etc. but still a lot more reasonable and doable than a recone.
It's difficult to tell if the woofer surrounds are foam or not. Regardless, one of them is shot.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:34 PM

I'm sure by now you've found that the raw components are worth some bucks. The tweets (075's) are probably worth over $500 alone. Maybe a lot more. I would do a bit of tlc and sell the cabs and speakers together. More $$$.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN