The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Starter Bass/Amp Recommendations

My petite 16 yo daughter, who is very musically inclined, wants to learn bass. Any recommendations on a decent (not best or worst) bass and amp. Thoughts on Fender starter kit ?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Skip the starter kit - you get what you pay for (and not in a good way) - and pick out individual components. Since you say that she's petite, you need to think in terms of light weight and short scale (~30"); the full-size (34" scale) P- and J-Basses included with the starter kits weigh in at around ten pounds (or more) - IME a recipe for frustration and physical discomfort - and the amps are barely adequate for practice purposes. Fortunately, there's been a revival of interest in short-scale basses in the last decade or so - several companies (Gibson, Guild, Gretsch, Fender, Epiphone) are reissuing old favorites (with varying degrees of accuracy), new designs have been introduced by a number of makers (Ibanez, Dean, Gretsch, Fender, Epiphone, Hagstrom, Birdsong, Rob Allen), and Hofner (who never stopped making them) has added lower-priced models to supplement their flagship German-made lineup - so it's easier to get a quality instrument, at any price point, than at any time since their mid-60's heyday. As far as amps are concerned, check out the Carvin Microbass lineup; for around $300 - as much as a decent practice/small-gig rig from many of the mainline manufacturers - you can have a 200W, 30-pound tone box that'll do double-duty for any venue she's likely to play in the foreseeable future (FYI I own an MB12 myself). With some smart shopping you can put together a fine-playing/sounding setup for $500-800; maybe a few extra bucks than you thought at first, but isn't she worth it...?

Here's some additional threads that might help:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=289983
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=301703

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM

this is the forum you want to be on, the talkbass forum.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 PM

I own a Squier Jaguar Short Scale Bass. IMO a great starter bass for a younger player. The short scale is easier to play for a person with smaller hands (or a guitar player like myself) and this bass sounds a lot nicer than you might expect for the price (around $180 at the big box stores) and it looks very cool in either color . A great value. I have no recomendations for an amp, as I use mine exclusively for recording and plug it directly into my mixing board.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Also comes in Candy Apple Red, IMO the only color for a Fender solid - BTW, probably look real sweet with an F-logo J-Bass "ashtray" over the bridge pickup and tailpiece...
Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I own a Squier Jaguar Short Scale Bass. IMO a great starter bass for a younger player. The short scale is easier to play for a person with smaller hands (or a guitar player like myself) and this bass sounds a lot nicer than you might expect for the price (around $180 at the big box stores) and it looks very cool in either color . A great value. I have no recomendations for an amp, as I use mine exclusively for recording and plug it directly into my mixing board.

Just got it for $179.00. Looking for cases. Fender's short scale bass case is $169.00. Having hard time justifying ten dollars less for the case than the guitar. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

John
Old 11-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Here are a few options:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1625.html --a $20 padded gig bag
probably minimally protective but the price is hard to beat.

http://www.rondomusic.com/bgc200shortcase.html --this $56 hard shell case for short scale bass is probably the best deal I've seen. I'd be inclined to go with this rather than a gig bag to protect the investment.

Caveat: I would check with Rondo before ordering either to be sure that they can accomodate the Jaguar SS Bass. The dimensions are very close.

Hope that helps!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-01-2013, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Depending on where you think she'll be headed, I think a gig bag is a good option. Solid cases can be pretty heavy. Certainly they'll protect better, but I'm shifting to gig bags for the most local travel and simple home storage.

As far as amps, for just practice I bought a Fender Rumble 15. More than enough amp for me (not gigging with it, just playing in my basement). It has an auxiliary in (needs RCA connection) and headphone out. She can jam with all kinds of backing tracks and do it all through headphones. It's $100, and I'm sure there'll be a coupon of some kind for it between now and the holidays so you'll save another $10 or $15 off of that.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-01-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
...http://www.rondomusic.com/bgc200shortcase.html - this $56 hard shell case for short scale bass is probably the best deal I've seen. I'd be inclined to go with this rather than a gig bag to protect the investment.

Caveat: I would check with Rondo before ordering either to be sure that they can accomodate the Jaguar SS Bass. The dimensions are very close...
I agree on both points - this was probably intended as a "long" electric guitar case (for electric 12-strings, baritones, and the like) that they're marketing as a short-scale bass case. As I said in my PM, take (careful) measurements - at 43" overall internal length it should fit, but there's nothing like being sure...
Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Default Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your help. My daughter will be delighted. Squire vintage SS in red, rondo case, ampeg 180 3o watt amp. Strap to be chosen.

Thanks again !

John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars