The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Bouzouki -- Information Please

OK, so I think I want one of these ... does anyone have any advice on what to look for? Brands etc.? I am looking for something quality but not fancy ... Anything to stay away from? Anything to look for specifically? Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:30 PM

You wanting it for Irish music or something else?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You wanting it for Irish music or something else?
I do lots of acoustic music; some Celtic flavored, some folk, some other. Mainly I would use it to embelish acoustic guitar pieces I've written, playing with other acoustic players and sometimes to accompany singing ... so not just for Irish music ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
I do lots of acoustic music; some Celtic flavored, some folk, some other. Mainly I would use it to embelish acoustic guitar pieces I've written, playing with other acoustic players and sometimes to accompany singing ... so not just for Irish music ...
Maybe something like this.

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-6031.htm

There's a lot of small shops making them. Flat Back, probably maple back and sides. Not a lot around to try but there are also a few MIC versions like Trinity College.

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-6031.htm
Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM

One think I'd strongly urge you to do is try, and try in some considerable quantity, before you buy. The length of scale coupled with the narrowness of the fingerboard can feel very odd indeed to someone who's only played guitar, to the extent that I've known people who couldn't adjust to the bouzouki and gave up. And just as with guitars, there's a range of scale lengths to conjour with.

Another variation that you need to make a decision about - and another reason for tasting in depth - include the configuration of octave strings, if any.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:17 PM
happiness

That Peterson looks nice.

I'd suggest checking the "CBOM" (Citterns, Bouzoukis, Octave Mandolins and Mandocellos) area of Mandolin Cafe for more info and recommendations on 'zouks:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/fo...ay.php?50-CBOM

Fliss (trying to resist the lure of the zouk....)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 PM

At the top, I agree with Fliss; go to the CBOM forums on the Mandolin Cafe. There is quite a bit of info at your fingertips there.

I picked up my first Zouk, actually it was an Octave Mandolin back in 1996. In the following years that I have played I haven't settled into any favorite style, or configuration.

Something I have loved about mandolin family instruments more than any other I have played is just when I think I like a certain set up and plan to stay with it I end up trying something else, whether it be a different type of wood for the top and/or back and sides, type of body, i.e flat top, arch-top, induced arch. Or, probably one of the most important things to consider, and hopefully 'Try-Before-You-Buy' is the scale length.

All of that aside, I recommend you start with something sub-$500, and try it out for a few months. Try to determine if you like it well enough to continue learning about the instrument and begin to increase quality (and finances) .

Maybe a used Trinity College, or something of like that has already had the basic upgrades done to it to make it a better player: New bridge, new nut, frets leveled, and a good set up. Stuff like that.

If you buy a new one odds are you will end up doing that stuff yourself. Save the money and time by getting one that is already set up.

Have a blast! They are great instruments to get your hands on.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 AM

You pretty much will find either the Trinity College (under a grand) or custom builds(over a grand). The Trinity is a great place to start. If you are patient you may find a used one on Mandolin Cafe. Up from that it is custom builders like Peterson, Crump , Nyberg, Trillium, and more. Also some builders make them with guitar bodies. Some call them Bouzar, others Guizouki.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryinAZ View Post
All of that aside, I recommend you start with something sub-$500, and try it out for a few months. Try to determine if you like it well enough to continue learning about the instrument and begin to increase quality (and finances) .

Maybe a used Trinity College, or something of like that has already had the basic upgrades done to it to make it a better player: New bridge, new nut, frets leveled, and a good set up. Stuff like that.

Have a blast! They are great instruments to get your hands on.
Thanks everyone ... a little background: I play guitar, mandolin, tenor guitar, banjo etc. ... so I think I could easily get into Bouzouki ...

I was originally thinking of these possibilities to break into this instrument:

Luna Guitars Trinity Bouzouki
Trinity College TM-375 Irish Bouzouki
Johnson Traditional Bouzouki MA-400

Any opinions as to which one looks best to those more experienced? Thanks again.

-- Play on!!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM

In my experience, and I believe you will see the same from many posts on the Mando Cafe CBOM forum, when you buy a PacRim instrument like those you listed they are usually in need of a few upgrades/mods, or whatever to make them sound a bit better and much easier to play.

I think there are quite a few more Trinity Colleges out there than the others you listed. I owned one early on and it did a great job of helping me get into the world of CBOM.

If you can find a used one (they pop up fairly regularly on the classified boards) that has already had a new bridge/nut/fret level you would have a great little player to give it a go.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:23 AM
happiness

There's a used Trinity College on Mandolin Cafe at the moment:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

Fliss

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments