The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Any dobro experts? Help needed.

Hi peeps.
Here's the story, the query comes after.

I went to my local guitar shop the other day and they had one of those Chi8nese made Dobro Hound Dogs (square necks) in there. It had fallen off the wal and had some nasty, but only superficial, dents and scratches. So they sold it me for cost price (160 euros).. I had always wanted to learn and so I took them up on their kind offer.
Now, I did my research and found that there was an American version of these too. The way to tell the difference was that the USA had a maple and Ebony tipped saddle, bone nut and the heel of the neck doesn't go right to the back of the guitar.. it stops short. I also read that the USA made ones had a quality Quartetman spun cone in it.. instead of the cheap pressed ones in the Chinese ones.
OK.. fine up to there... but I noticed that my "made in China" Hound Dog had all the USA features.. ivory saddle, bone nut, heel stops short.
Now, I was going to replace the cone in this for a Quarterman or a Beard maybe. It sounds cool as it is, but the Low end is pretty weak on the bottom E string and I thought an upgrade would be cool. But if my HD has all the USA features then maybe it has the good cone too right? There's the rub!

How can I tell if the cone it has is a quality hand spun one or a cheap Chinese pressed one? That's my question to all you Dobro masters out there.
I'm up for modding this HD but not if it already has a decent cone as a new one would probably make no dif.

Thanks in advance guys.
DP
Old 06-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Don't know. Couldn't you just ask the people that sold it to you?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Just from looking at commercially-made resonator cones, "spun" cones normally have distinctive spiral tool-marks.
That's because of the process; the cone is pressure-formed over a mandrel by holding a tool against it.
These are not polished out normally... So if you can see evidence of those toolmarks, you've likely got a "spun" cone.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks guys. The guys who sold it me aren't really Dobro experts.. they just had one in stock. I got in touch with Raoul at Elderly and he helped me out. For anyone who ever needs to figure this out one day... Bikewer, you're right.. thin concentric circle marks in the cone are from the spinning proccess. Also if you put a pencil in the hole in the middle of the cone, suspend it there and tap the edge of the cone with another pencil (or what ever) the cone should ring and have a reasonable amount of sustain. If it makes a dull "thuck" sound then it's a dud cone and needs replacing.
Seems also the screw tightness in the middle of the cone can change the sound.

Seems my cone is spun and sounds nice and "bell" like when it's tapped. Not sure why the lack of bass on the low E string.. gonna try adjusting the screw. Don't think a new cone is needed though.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidphilips View Post
It had fallen off the wal and had some nasty, but only superficial, dents and scratches. So they sold it me for cost price (160 euros)
LOL wow how nice of them
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 06-10-2011, 05:52 PM

In addition to acoustic I play a Paul Beard Reso. Beard offers lots of upgrade parts. Check out his website. Also check out
http://www.resohangout.com/
which is the AGF version of reso guitars.

Best,

Blues
Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Hi,

There is no low E string on a dobro in standard tuning - it's GBDGBD so I'm thinking maybe you don't have to tuned correctly. Try tuning it to GBDGBD and see if that sorts out your problem.

Be really careful adjusting the cone tensioner screw. It needs to be just tight enough to stop the cone rattling. Any more and you run a real risk of destroying the cone. Head over to the resohangout for more detailed advice.

Good luck
Mike Terris Maple E body squareneck dobro
Squier Telecaster standard
Squier Jazz bass vintage modified 70s
Yamaha Pacifica
Gretsch Electromatic lap steel
Gold Tone GT 750 6 string banjo
Guild GD 125 12 string

http://www.reverbnation.com/alanwalker/songs
http://www.reverbnation.com/ravensreturn/songs
Old 06-11-2011, 04:28 AM

jerry douglas
Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuitar View Post
jerry douglas
Speaking of..... This gives me chills!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAkY3R6lxXk&fmt=18

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydog View Post
Hi,

There is no low E string on a dobro in standard tuning - it's GBDGBD so I'm thinking maybe you don't have to tuned correctly. Try tuning it to GBDGBD and see if that sorts out your problem.

Be really careful adjusting the cone tensioner screw. It needs to be just tight enough to stop the cone rattling. Any more and you run a real risk of destroying the cone. Head over to the resohangout for more detailed advice.

Good luck
Thanks guys, all the help appreciated.
Montydog.. I tune to open E, a very common tuning for Lap Style/Dobro/Square Neck guitar players.. some like to drop it a tone to open D too (see Kelly Joe Phelps for example.)

Cheers

Last edited by davidphilips; 06-11-2011 at 08:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments