The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-22-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
hi ewalling, i hear what you say (or read what you write, and agree - up to a point.

However, the UK is "currently" in a part of the word which is called "temperate". In the past and no doubt in the future our weather will become more extreme.

Most northern European peoples evolved physical attributes to deal with the local weather conditions of where a few dozen generations had settled.

People from further north - the arctic circle for instance, developed different physical appearances for their environment, and the further south, different again.

Those folks in the hotter parts of the USA, who boast of temperatures that can quickly damage someone of a northern European ancestry will not be able to survive in the way that the first nation tribes adapted to is some thousands of years ago.

We humans adapt,but it takes generations, and we have travelled and settled far more in recent centuries than we did before.

In my short time of living on the south coast of England, I have seen extreme snowfalls, a hurricane (with tornadoes), and my Roman city flooded which had not happened since before the Romans left.

British people still die from meteorological events in the UK from time to time, although as you rightly say, not half so much as in the USA, or Africa, or India.

Large land masses in the tropical and sub tropical regions are surely bound to create extreme weather events, but to say that Brits have no weather, is to misunderstand these islands and the waters that surround them somewhat.

Anyway it seems tat we are back to normal ow - I spent a lovely afternoon as the guest of a hundred plot allotment site discussion the necessity for the diminishing insect life in our area.

Best, Andy
Good to hear you're getting back to normal.

It's interesting what you say about climates changing. Funny to think that in Shakespeare's time the Thames used to regularly freeze over!
Old 08-26-2022, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

We have relatives in Wales and they too have been shocked by the weather.

IMO it is just the beginning...
Old 08-26-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
We have relatives in Wales and they too have been shocked by the weather.

IMO it is just the beginning...
don't worry. the beginning will last a thousand years.
Old 08-29-2022, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
don't worry. the beginning will last a thousand years.
I like that. Yes, the messages we are receiving from some quarters suggest that everything is going to go crash, bang, wallop within a few tens of years. History shows that the earth moves a little more ponderously than that!
Old 08-29-2022, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

This thread is drifting into forbidden waters… climate change/ global warming. Lets stay clear to avoid shutting it down.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-04-2022, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Yes, the weather is getting more scary each year. And my body’s thermoregulation is not functioning all that well since I left middle age.

I don’t really “cope”. I just get strategic about how to function without doing much in the peak daylight hours.
We feel your pain here in Southern California. It was 84 degrees this morning at 5am. It was 103 yesterday and today is supposed to be worse, at least until Weds, when it'll be back in the 90's supposedly. The fear is real.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:29 AM

124 degrees yesterday in Death Valley
Santa Fe is one of the nicest towns in America, especially in light snow.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
124 degrees yesterday in Death Valley
Santa Fe is one of the nicest towns in America, especially in light snow.
Santa Fe really is a pretty town. A little off topic, but I had some business in Albuquerque back during work days, and an extra day. Took a drive to Santa Fe, but went the back roads, and took in some beautiful scenery along the way, including Valles Caldera National Preserve, something you don't see out east.
Also, Los Alamos. Kinda neat just to drive by the place. And then pulled into Santa Fe. Like icing on the cake. Loved the whole look and vibe of the place.
I was with a European friend/colleague at the time and he stills talks about that drive and visit. No snow though, it was early fall as I recall.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-04-2022, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

100+ degrees throughout the holiday weekend and rest of the week, topping out at 112F over the next couple of days. I was assembling some new home gym equipment in my (non-A/C) garage the last two days and felt every bit of it. But after 32yrs of lousy east coast weather (snow, ice, humidity with plenty of gloom year round), I vowed to never complain about the heat out here, so I'm not going to start now.

Continuing with the NM sidebar, I drank my first caipirinha in Albuquerque about 20 years ago. I would love to retire, so I could explore NM (and much of the western US) more.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I like that. Yes, the messages we are receiving from some quarters suggest that everything is going to go crash, bang, wallop within a few tens of years. History shows that the earth moves a little more ponderously than that!
A third of Pakistan is under water.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
A third of Pakistan is under water.
The country has had frequent floodings in recent history, but that list may not start early enough to whitelist this phenomenon.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 09-08-2022, 12:23 PM

This August in Europe was the warmest on record, European weather records go back to the dawn of science.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
This August in Europe was the warmest on record, European weather records go back to the dawn of science.
Which really wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things. Not "science" either but meteorology specifically (a type of science) too so even shorter period of coverage.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Which really wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things. Not "science" either but meteorology specifically (a type of science) too so even shorter period of coverage.
Quite right, not long 'in the scheme of things' if by that you mean the billions of years the universe or the planet has been around but long enough relative to western civilization. Which is the context in which we live.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:19 PM

Thanks to science we have - to some extent - the benefit of foreknowledge of the Ice Age or the heat wave next to come. In theory that gives us an opportunity to prepare. A benefit that our distant ancestors didn’t have. Will we be smart about it or stupid about it, that’s the question.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic