The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merak View Post
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence? Effective marketing.
Uncultivated human nature. Good marketing exploits that in us for sure.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Thoreau said something about fisherman not understanding that it's not the fish they're really after.

Appetitive behavior assumes many strange and interesting forms.

Ahhhhh zmf...a very clever and profound post...well done sir...and oh so very true!

Here's the Thoreau quote:

“Some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not really the fish they are after.”

So true...So true...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 10-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicwu View Post
What I can't really understand is when people talk about the resale value of a guitar even before buying it. Seems like the used market is quite flourishing. Same for cars. I mean, it's hard to say when you may need to sell it for some reasons, but taking the resale value into consideration right at the beginning is just too much.
Amen to this!

I’ve never, ever purchased a guitar intending to sell it, I’ve never ever even considered resale value when buying a guitar.

Every guitar I buy is a ‘Keeper’. Until it isn’t - then it goes for whatever I can get for it. If I take a loss, that’s simply the price of the pleasure it gave me while I owned it.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-04-2019, 06:50 AM

Guitar acquisition is easier than practicing and not all of us are meant to be guitarists. So. "maybe it's the guitar?". Nope, it isn't.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustint View Post
Is it that everyone is infected with GAS, which I totally understand. Or is it having to do with guitars "breaking in" a little and turning out to be something the original owner doesn't want.

I have no idea, but I recently purchased a guitar manufactured June 2018 from a forum member, and it’s great in every way.

I also recently bought a 2015 guitar (not 2018 or ‘19, but pretty new all the same) from another forum member, and it’s great, too!

The price was fair on each deal. I’m definitely a happy customer.

So, whatever the reason for all the great sellers and their beautiful guitars on here, this forum has been a wonderful resource for me (and that goes beyond purchases).

But, as to the reasons you specifically cited, I think both probably apply. I also get the impression some members not only have GAS, but also have the wherewithal to acquire guitars, enjoy em for a bit, and then pass them on to make room for more. Heck, if I had more time and money, I might do the same.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 10-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
Guitar acquisition is easier than practicing and not all of us are meant to be guitarists. So. "maybe it's the guitar?". Nope, it isn't.
The evidence for this is all over this forum when folks say they have been for 30, 40, or 50 years and still aren't very good. How many things do we do, such as our careers, that after all that time we still don't do very well?

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 10-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Ahhhhh zmf...a very clever and profound post...well done sir...and oh so very true!

Here's the Thoreau quote:

“Some men fish all their lives without knowing it is not really the fish they are after.”

So true...So true...

duff
That depends on if you are fishing to catch fish or fishing to catch dinner.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
The evidence for this is all over this forum when folks say they have been for 30, 40, or 50 years and still aren't very good. How many things do we do, such as our careers, that after all that time we still don't do very well?

Tony
You are wise, grasshopper.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Great insights from all. It’s overwhelming the current availability of guitars. It would take me two days to hit all the guitar stores in my area, not even to mention online. It makes it very difficult to make a decision. I guess I need to find more disposable income...

Maybe an adjusted acronym is order:

GRAS = Guitar Resale and Acquisition Syndrome

"I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
-Peter Griffin
Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I bought my D18 "new"
It was new when I bought it in 2017 but, it was built in 2015 so it had been at the dealer's for almost two years. The good news was the dealer was Wildwood Music in Ohio so I knew the guitar had been properly cared for.
Why it hadn't been sold...I don't know and I don't care. It's as good an example of a D18 as you will find tonewise right down to the magnificent top with silking and some bear claw.
Same here. Bought my new D-18 in 2017 assuming it was a 2017 model. Got home and checked the serial # and it was made in 2015. I got such a good deal on it I really didn't care. I still have it and it's still great.

As for why so many new guitars are for sale, I know of a user on a couple of other forums (he may even be on this one) who is pretty new to guitars but has bought and sold probably 20 new guitars in the past year.

I tease him about it whenever I see another NGD post from him. He always gushes about how great the new guitar is and I'll reply with something like, "Great pictures! Be sure to use them in the Buy and Sell section next month!"
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustint View Post

But I still cant figure out why so many available are basically brand new???
It's because nobody plays guitars anymore.

SOURCE: The Internet
Old 10-04-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
A sign of the times.

the only option for many of is us a long distance purchase. I'm not driving 2 hours to play a guitar that's been hanging on some stores wall for 9/12 months. Not humidiied right, dings and dents from hamfisted customers.. and pay "new prices" NNNNNNNNNNNOPE!!!!!!!

The "certified dealer" crap has just killed any hope of that a local store will stock a USA made guitar.

so many of us have no choice but to buy online, and hope for the best.
This seems like a little bit of an overgeneralization to me. Every certified dealer store selling Martins, Taylors and other name brand guitars that I have visited so far (including every store that qualifies as such in my home state, AZ) keep their acoustics in separate, humidified rooms, and the guitars (for the most part) are in pristine condition. Most of my purchases were made in physical stores and at very satisfactory conditions, and I have never felt the need to buy a guitar online other than in two cases (in one, the price was substantially lower, and in the other, the guitar was a vintage instrument).

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 10-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fngrpck View Post
Yes, that. I'm guilty of it, too. But I make an effort to never lose sight of why I own guitars to begin with.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
That depends on if you are fishing to catch fish or fishing to catch dinner.

YES...Mycroft...a VERY good point!

Around here, it seems that many are simply fishing to catch fish on the "catch and release" method.

Jest fer fun...

It seems to me though, that when a guitar is bought that way...as a fancy, or from overwhelming GAS, or as a potential investment commodity, or as a humblebrag ornament, that it ends up being a less than useful life for the guitar. This is especially true of the very high end, high performance boutique and luthier made guitars, that have enormous musical potential, but rarely if ever get used up to their performance capability as a musical instrument. Instead they get bought and sold, again and again, bandied about and put on display, only to be moved on again before too long.

I have often wondered whether it ever bothers the boutique companies and solo luthiers, who work so passionately to build the very best, most high performance instruments that they can, using all their skills and the best of the best tonewoods and materials available, only to see their creations rarely if ever used even remotely near to their musical potential, but instead caught in the GAS whirlpool and being bought and sold over and over.

duff
Old 10-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Duff,

Your “player, not polisher” sig is one of my very favorites.

“Acquire instruments, not objects” is a similar sentiment, and sage guidance for those of us who eschew polisher status.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion