The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Do you consider yourself primarily an acoustic player?

Some years ago I realized I'm an acoustic player, not an electric player. I have a closetful of electrics that I never play and should probably sell. I concentrate solely on acoustic now.

What about the rest of you? Solely acoustic? Primarily acoustic? Half and half acoustic and electric? Something else?
Old 10-02-2019, 12:11 PM

I don't, but I play acoustic more often. At home, it's just more enjoyable to me to play "unplugged."

But if I get called for a gig, 9/10 it's on electric...although my recent dip back into Django's music is evening that out a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Acoustic around the house, plugged in acoustic for gigs.

Sold my last electric but fighting off the urge to buy a Tele.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM

I'm still a bit better on the acoustic than the electric, but not by much. Right now, I enjoy playing electric more. I'd say am 50/50.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Guest 33123

100% acoustic now for around 15 years. Sometimes I think that owning a Tele again would be nice. In those moments I go play my son's Jag and remember why I no longer have an electric.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I've always considered myself more of an electric player, an impression that was firmly grounded in reality. But over the last year or so, I'm starting to wonder.

I still LOVE playing electric - it's what comes easiest to me and it's the format where I can just kind of not think and just play. But lately I'm far more likely to pick up an acoustic and try to learn to, or improve at, just playing a song and singing it. And I've finally had the patience to stick with fingerpicking in the past year and I'm still in very very early days, but I've made enough progress that somedays that's all I want to do. I've periodically tried to learn fingerpicking several different times during the past 40 years and never stuck with it longer than a week or so, but this time it seems to have taken root, even if the resulting tree is still quite a sapling...

I still probably consider myself more of an electric player, but I've probably spent more time playing acoustic for the past year or so and, at some point, that has to swing the perspective...
Old 10-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Do you consider yourself primarily an acoustic player?

Yes, I do.

I do have a bunch of electrics, also, and they don't get played anywhere near as much. But I do use them occasionally on some multi-track recording projects. So when I need them, it's great to have them.

But I always pick up an acoustic guitar when I want to play. That's where home is for me.

- Glenn
Old 10-02-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I am primarily an acoustic guitar player... I love electric guitars and have a couple really nice ones, but, for decades now I have realized that whenever I'm holding an acoustic guitar, it just feels like Home to me...

Probably because I started on an acoustic, way back when, and nearly all of my gigging has been solo acoustic guitar and voice.

Love my ES-345 and enjoy playing it, but I haven't used it in a working band setting for a long time... nothing like familiarity to heighten the sense of comfort...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I’m primarily an acoustic player and have been for a long time. The other evening I pulled out my Strat which I haven’t picked up for a long time, and I have to admit that I really enjoyed it and plan to start playing it more. Feels like moving from standard to power steering. It takes me back to rockier songs I haven’t played in a very long time, and I find it’s a good thing.

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-02-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Do you consider yourself primarily an acoustic player?
But I always pick up an acoustic guitar when I want to play. That's where home is for me.
I could not have said this better. That's it precisely.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Welp, the last time I pulled out and plugged in the melody maker was over a year ago. I guess that means I'm pretty exclusively an acoustic player.

scott
Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM

I’ve been playing acoustic since 1964. I don’t now, nor have I ever, own an acoustic guitar.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:15 PM

Went exclusively acoustic for about 15 years shortly after Woodstock (probably saved my hearing as a result - have some friends from period rock bands who weren't so lucky ), gone through several phases of primarily acoustic or electric since; presently about 80-20 in favor of electric, only use acoustic instruments (guitar, 4-/5-string banjo, uke) for local jams/open mics or specific songs with our band that require them...
Old 10-02-2019, 01:23 PM

I play both but mostly acoustic. It mostly depends on what I'm working on.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:28 PM

I was acoustic only on my couch for about 25 years. Then I got a Tele and joined a band and switched back and forth between acoustic and electric during gigs depending on what the song called for.

Haven't played in a band in about 3 years so the Tele has been in its gig bag pretty much ever since.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion