The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2019, 08:39 AM

I have a GA3 (pretty much the same as a 314) that I consider i lifetime guitar! My only input is don't get one with the expression system pickup. I'd get one without a pickup, install what suits you, and down the road you can swap the pickup for whatever the latest and greatest is. With the expression system, you've got those holes drilled into the side, so your upgrade choices are limited to Taylor upgrades. Of course, you could put in another pickup and plug the holes or whatever, but that would bug me.

Last edited by niteflyguy; 09-19-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:43 PM

I'm going to be blunt and say that if you have to ask, the answer is "no, XX (insert guitar model here) is not going to be your lifetime guitar."

I'm not saying this to be snarky, but from experience. (I bought my lifetime guitar in 2011 and sold it last year.)

For the vast majority of players, there is no such thing as a lifetime guitar. And those for whom there is, more likely than not they discovered that guitar on their own, at some point during their musical journey, and less likely by asking on an online forum.

Get the guitar you want most now, play it as long as you enjoy it, and once another comes along that speaks to you more, sell the first and get that.

Your preferences will evolve with your playing.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 09-19-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:23 PM

Check the classifieds here....There are a bunch of “lifetime” guitars for sale. There are many truths to consider. We evolve as players and preferences change. Our ears change...(I’m kinda older and deaf and hear the spectrum differently). Our hands change or prefer certain nuances. Maybe you play in a band and the “dream 314” doesn’t fit. And honestly, financial positions change. But that 314 you’re considering will last your children’s lifetime quality-wise with proper care and storage. If you buy it new and register it, Taylor gives a “lifetime warranty” to the original owner for reassurance. If this is a gift for someone, let them choose their own lifetime instrument. $0.02
Old 09-19-2019, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Have not read through the whole thread but by 'lifetime', I think you mean that it is good enough to be kept a whole lifetime and be satisfied by the instrument. If so, then even lower end guitars can be 'lifetime'.

A dear friend of mine has a cheap plywood acoustic that I keep trying to upgrade and he would hear nothing of it. He leads worship with it in groups and is very effective. He would not part with it because it was given to him by a very dear friend and the sentimental value makes it his 'lifetime' guitar and it is good enough to lead music with for him because it sounds like a guitar, plays in tune, and is loud enough when he really bashes on it. Tonally it's nothing like the good guitars I favor - not even the low end Yamaha FG solid tops. But functionally and sentimentally, that is his 'lifetime' guitar.

One of these days though, I'd like to gift him a $500 all solid body guitar in the used market....(The Alvarez Masterclass comes to mind - just killer value tonally for the $ not to mention all the appointments such as solid wood, bone nut/saddle, ebony pins, gloss finish, killer looking arched hardshell case that is cream with brown trim etc.) Since I am his dear friend, maybe there will be enough sentimental value there for him to switch.... His guitar sure would sound better....
Old 09-20-2019, 02:34 AM
Charter Member

A Taylor 314ce or any guitar is lifer if you want it to be so.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Have not read through the whole thread but by 'lifetime', I think you mean that it is good enough to be kept a whole lifetime and be satisfied by the instrument. If so, then even lower end guitars can be 'lifetime'.

A dear friend of mine has a cheap plywood acoustic that I keep trying to upgrade and he would hear nothing of it. He leads worship with it in groups and is very effective. He would not part with it because it was given to him by a very dear friend and the sentimental value makes it his 'lifetime' guitar and it is good enough to lead music with for him because it sounds like a guitar, plays in tune, and is loud enough when he really bashes on it. Tonally it's nothing like the good guitars I favor - not even the low end Yamaha FG solid tops. But functionally and sentimentally, that is his 'lifetime' guitar.

One of these days though, I'd like to gift him a $500 all solid body guitar in the used market....(The Alvarez Masterclass comes to mind - just killer value tonally for the $ not to mention all the appointments such as solid wood, bone nut/saddle, ebony pins, gloss finish, killer looking arched hardshell case that is cream with brown trim etc.) Since I am his dear friend, maybe there will be enough sentimental value there for him to switch.... His guitar sure would sound better....
Your post reminds me that sometimes "lifetime" means lifetime means lifetime of the instrument, and not the owner.

Really inexpensive instruments sometimes have lifetimes that are very short indeed.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Your post reminds me that sometimes "lifetime" means lifetime means lifetime of the instrument, and not the owner.

Really inexpensive instruments sometimes have lifetimes that are very short indeed.
It that’s the case, then I’ve had several “lifetime” guitars.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It that’s the case, then I’ve had several “lifetime” guitars.
My first guitar, setting my mom back 2 books of S&H green stamps, met that description.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 AM

It wasn't for our household. I got it used and it was perfectly fine and for many, all that anyone would need.

If you hang out on this forum long enough though, nothing is safe for being a lifetime guitar.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:04 AM

It certainly can be a lifetime guitar, but that depends entirely on you. You have to be firm and not play any other guitars in any setting. And if you hear a guitar somewhere that sounds just too awesome, then you have to tell yourself that this is entirely due to the superior skill of the player and not the guitar.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:53 PM

I guess the real question is: can you have several lifetime guitars - and at the same time?

FWIW I considered the 314 for awhile. Then I discovered another make and model that was slightly less expensive (Larrivee OM-03R) and it became my lifetime guitar. I still want another though.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:19 PM

Any guitar you love can be a lifetime guitar. Brand, model number, price are irrelevant to the relationship you have with an instrument.

The one that feels like home when you pick it up, the one that tickles your ears and makes you smile when you hit that big G chord, the one you'd grab if the house were on fire - that's your lifetime guitar.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I guess the real question is: can you have several lifetime guitars - and at the same time?
Well yes, of course!
Old 09-20-2019, 03:41 PM

I think series 5 is the best value (used) than series 3 new .

I went several times between 324 and 524 and found 524 build & tone quality much better. Bought 3 years old 524 for the same price of 324 New.
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 09-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Yes, it absolutely is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion