The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-28-2019, 09:23 PM

I just viewed these clips and that thing rocks in your hands, & also because the amp is very fine, but it brought out your best. In comparison to acoustic guitar prices, higher end acoustic comes in significantly below that of this electric & amp.

Amazing chops and clarity!
Old 09-29-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
At the risk of enabling pathology, I'd say get it if it moves you more than most in your experience. You get only 1 lifetime to enjoy, there will be enough pain as it is, so take the few pleasures where/when you can.

When I consider buying/selling, I ask myself whether I'd be more content with the money, or the item. I was thinking of selling an amp I bought new for $200 that I'd get $100 for. I asked myself, would I rather have the amp to play around with, or the $100? The amp won.

While my example is affected by the dollar amount (easier to make the decision with low dollar amounts), the general strategy applies to larger purchases, for me. If the purchase pleasure will be offset by genuine financial stress, then consider passing, but if it's just a concern for something so expensive, or it might get in the way of doing something else with the money that will give less enjoyment/utility (leaving family needs out of it), then realize you can always sell it for decent money if you tire of it.

Oh, and be sure to make your money on the way in, meaning, pay as little as possible.
This is probably the most intelligent post ever on this site...Jordan Peterson would be proud.....
Old 09-29-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
This is probably the most intelligent post ever on this site... Jordan Peterson would be proud.....
And you are too kind.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
You make an excellent point and that is highly valid. I just got the price ...and I am choking on the $$$. So as much as I love this, it may not happen. Thought I might do better.
I saw that you passed on this and, fwiw, I think you made exactly the right call under these facts. Its purchase would have caused you significant stress, possibly more than would be offset by the pleasure provided. Were you to resell, its price would have limited you to a rarified niche group of collectors who may, or may not, be partial to that particular flavor when you wanted to sell. This restricted pool of purchasers would, itself, have added to the stress of purchase/ownership for fear you'd take a large loss, or even be unable to sell. Its ownership period with you wouldn't have been worth the angst.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I saw that you passed on this and, fwiw, I think you made exactly the right call under these facts. Its purchase would have caused you significant stress, possibly more than would be offset by the pleasure provided. Were you to resell, its price would have limited you to a rarified niche group of collectors who may, or may not, be partial to that particular flavor when you wanted to sell. This restricted pool of purchasers would, itself, have added to the stress of purchase/ownership for fear you'd take a large loss, or even be unable to sell. Its ownership period with you wouldn't have been worth the angst.
yes, I did ultimately pass on it. I loved it, but could not justify the financial strain. And then as fate would have it, I found a Fender CS 51 Nocaster heavy relic that I for me is actually 'better'. It is a bit punchier and while the Bigsby was cool, I was never a Bigsby guy. I might waggle it a little at the end of a song, but it was never a priority.

So this 51 Nocaster heavy relic pops up ...at less than HALF the cost. It make so much more sense.

Thanks for the very mature dialogue.

Here is the video of the Nocaster.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-29-2019, 12:54 PM

The NoCaster sounds way better. Good call!
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 09-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Gary, Nice Playing On Such A Wonderful Fender! Ya Gotta Do It, Bro!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
yes, I did ultimately pass on it. I loved it, but could not justify the financial strain. And then as fate would have it, I found a Fender CS 51 Nocaster heavy relic that I for me is actually 'better'. It is a bit punchier and while the Bigsby was cool, I was never a Bigsby guy. I might waggle it a little at the end of a song, but it was never a priority.

So this 51 Nocaster heavy relic pops up ...at less than HALF the cost. It make so much more sense.

Thanks for the very mature dialogue.

Here is the video of the Nocaster.
That's a great result (personally, and musically)! I even agree with the Bigsby Delete. Sounds perfect with that amp, too.

Had it been me, my wife would cynically suggest that I'd purposely proposed the $7k guitar in order to make the $3k guitar suddenly look reasonable by comparison. She may know me a little too well . . . .

Enjoy that beautiful new ride.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:39 PM

The ‘51 Nocaster sounds like a Tele should, but the Dale Wilson creation really had monster tone, bursting the boundaries of what a Tele can be, in my opinion. Your skill makes almost anything sound good, in any case; thanks for sharing & Congrats.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:35 PM

Congrats, I'm glad you found the perfect match, and it sounds awesome.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys. This Nocaster does it for me. It sounds like a mature vintage Nocaster and sounds like it has an old soul. LOL I am so much more at peace with the cost and value ...and its super classic in the way the heavy relic was done. I did not set out to find a heavy relic. I take care of my instruments and an old vintage guitar in my stead would have look old, but well cared for. But this guitar channels the sound and classic tones I love. It sounds right and the decision feels more 'sane'.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-29-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

DEFINITELY the right call, particularly given that you feel the same way. That first Bigsby model is something I could admire, but would never be envious of in the least. Like a lot of very nice guitars that just aren't really my cup of tea. But this No-caster is exactly what I'd want if I ever got a no-holds-barred tele. And I like the music it pulls out of you a LOT, definitely more than what you were playing on the other one. I mean, you're a mutha of a player regardless of the instrument, but this guitar seems to inspire you to play stuff that's much more up my alley...

I have the budget model of a very similar approach, the 50's Road Worn, and it's all I'd ever want in a tele. And I personally really love the rounder 7.25" radius fretboard with it's narrow-tall frets. I love it and don't have any need or even want for anything higher end, but if I ever decided to blow the budget on a tele, it would be along the lines of what you have now.

Congratulations and ENJOY!

-Ray
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Congratulations on finding the one for you. That nocaster sounds amazing!
I am kind of in the same dilemma I found a 2017 custom shop 52 light relic that sounds amazing and it's a smoking hot deal... My problem is im not a good enough guitar player to justify owning it......But man I really want it!
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
Congratulations on finding the one for you. That nocaster sounds amazing!
I am kind of in the same dilemma I found a 2017 custom shop 52 light relic that sounds amazing and it's a smoking hot deal... My problem is im not a good enough guitar player to justify owning it......But man I really want it!
I can always justify an instrument that inspires me to play ...and become a better player. That doesn't always work, but I try. I want to learn how to use my right-hand fingers more in a hybrid picking and plucking manner. That's my next goal.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-02-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I can always justify an instrument that inspires me to play ...and become a better player. That doesn't always work, but I try. I want to learn how to use my right-hand fingers more in a hybrid picking and plucking manner. That's my next goal.
I like the way you look at it and this guitar is definitely inspiring to me....I think I will adopt your philosophy.....now to make the wife understand lol
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars