The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin X Johnny Cash Model

For the past couple weeks, Martin has been teasing about a new model. The first post just showed a guy walking with a black Martin gig bag that said CASH on it.

This morning, they formally said the Martin X Johnny Cash Model is coming.

So, what do we expect? I’d imagine all black X series style dread with some sort of special Johnny Cash embellishment to af least make it slightly spicier than just a black X dread.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

ttps://reverb.com/item/27236975-martin-dx-johnny-cash-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-black-w-deluxe-gigbag-fast-free-shipoping?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwI

Well, it's getting ripped to shreds over on the UMGF but I think it will have it's place. If I played, plugged in, in a country band I'd have ordered one already. And sure, it's not going to sound great unplugged but it will still sound OK. I tried another all hpl Martin dread and was surprised at how it sounded.

But if you are on stage singing ''Fulsom Prison Blues'' I can't think of a cooler guitar to be playing except a more authentic JC replica but you're not getting one of those for $599!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

ttps://reverb.com/item/27236975-martin-dx-johnny-cash-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-black-w-deluxe-gigbag-fast-free-shipoping?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwI

Well, it's getting ripped to shreds over on the UMGF but I think it will have it's place. If I played, plugged in, in a country band I'd have ordered one already. And sure, it's not going to sound great unplugged but it will still sound OK. I tried another all hpl Martin dread and was surprised at how it sounded.

But if you are on stage singing ''Fulsom Prison Blues'' I can't think of a cooler guitar to be playing except a more authentic JC replica but you're not getting one of those for $599!
EEESH!!! I think I know why it is getting ripped over at UMGF!!! That ain't the prettiest model in the contest....
Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

The X series Martins do sound really good plugged in so I think this one will have some appeal. Especially for the folks playing the club circuits. It's cheap, will look cool onstage and is easy to get a good live tone with. I had the black 000 X series for a while and it was a perfectly good stage guitar for the $599 list price they're asking.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-26-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
The X series Martins do sound really good plugged in so I think this one will have some appeal. Especially for the folks playing the club circuits. It's cheap, will look cool onstage and is easy to get a good live tone with. I had the black 000 X series for a while and it was a perfectly good stage guitar for the $599 list price they're asking.
I have an older X series and now that I have two guitars with K&Ks I can't really stand the piezo sound of the Fishman in my X series anymore.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Easy enough to switch to a K & K. Everything is there waiting for you. There's a long thread on the Acoustic Amplicafication page about doing it.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I have an older X series and now that I have two guitars with K&Ks I can't really stand the piezo sound of the Fishman in my X series anymore.
I didn't change the pickup in the black 000 X that I had but I did pull out the Fishman and install JJB pickups in two other X series guitars that I've used. I still have one of them and it's a really good gigger.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion