The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2021, 09:45 AM

Default Martin 000-17 stings and Bridge pins change

Hello all,
I have a new 000-17 Martin. I have read some reviews that suggest a bridge pin swap, and different strings. I have it strung currently with .12 ga. 80/20 strings and the original wood Bridge pins. I primarily fingerpick/Travis pick this guitar. I read one review that suggested that the tone was greatly improved with Ebony or bone bridge pins (He referenced both). The same reviewer also suggested trying the .13 gauge Martin Retro strings. I'm planning on trying these strings, but curious what bridge pins the knowledgeable folks here would reccomend?

Seems like bone are preferred over ebony. I'm interested in any bridge pins under, say, $80.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I've yet to hear a guitar that was "greatly improved" by swapping out bridge pins. Subtle differences, perhaps... big changes, not so much.

Is there something in particular that you'd like the guitar to do differently? Monels and 80/20s will sound pretty different. If you want a mellower tone, then the switch to monels might help with that. No harm in trying... but whether or not it's an objective improvement is purely a matter of personal preference.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

If you want to try bone pins, Bob Colosi is probably the top choice around here. They run between about $40-60.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-02-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwho View Post
I read one review that suggested that the tone was greatly improved with Ebony or bone bridge pins
What sort of tone do you have now, and what would you consider an improvement?

There is a wealth of dispute on this forum about the effect of changing bridge pins, from having no effect or some "fine tuning" of tone and volume. In general, physics would suggest that it is the mass of the pins, and not the material, that has a noticeable effect.

Probably most here would suggest that if you want to change the tone, start with the saddle, since this is what is transferring energy from the strings to the guitar.

Take reviews on the internet with a grain of salt.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I switched to Tusq bridge pins in my 000-17 but I really didn't notice a change in tone with them. I just wanted something more durable than the plastic pins. I've always hated those. I use John Pearse Phosphor Bronze lights on mine and it sounds great with them.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-02-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I've yet to hear a guitar that was "greatly improved" by swapping out bridge pins. Subtle differences, perhaps... big changes, not so much.

Is there something in particular that you'd like the guitar to do differently? Monels and 80/20s will sound pretty different. If you want a mellower tone, then the switch to monels might help with that. No harm in trying... but whether or not it's an objective improvement is purely a matter of personal preference.
I certainly understand that perceived tonal change is very much subjective. I don't expect significant changes. Nor am I unhappy with the current tone whatsoever. I am actually not looking for a particular change. Just intrigued enough to try some different bridge pins. I like to tinker, and change stuff. I'm quite happy with this guitar. Just looking to see if I can make it just a bit more bright.

Also, I just picked this guitar up from another fellow. I assumed the current pins to be original. I just asked him and he said that they are indeed snakewood and he swapped them out. He's is going to look for the originals. I might try them out.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
If you want to try bone pins, Bob Colosi is probably the top choice around here. They run between about $40-60.
Thank you! I'm perusing his web page now! I may just order a set of bridge pins and a saddle from him!
Old 04-02-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I switched to Tusq bridge pins in my 000-17 but I really didn't notice a change in tone with them. I just wanted something more durable than the plastic pins. I've always hated those. I use John Pearse Phosphor Bronze lights on mine and it sounds great with them.
This is helpful, thank you! I didn't realize that this guitar came with plastic pins originally. I just bought it from a guy that bought it last fall. It took me reaching out to him just as I posted this to confirm that he indeed did swap pins. I'll go searching a bit in the forums to see what real or perceived changes each pin style brings, and try what I feel might suit my taste.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I certainly understand that perceived tonal change is very much subjective. I don't expect significant changes. Nor am I unhappy with the current tone whatsoever. I am actually not looking for a particular change. Just intrigued enough to try some different bridge pins. I like to tinker, and change stuff. I'm quite happy with this guitar. Just looking to see if I can make it just a bit more bright.

Also, I just picked this guitar up from another fellow. I assumed the current pins to be original. I just asked him and he said that they are indeed snakewood and he swapped them out. He's is going to look for the originals. I might try them out.
Originals are black plastic, and if the pins you got in now is wood could explain the more mellow tone. I would switch to the original plastic pins and get more resonance and i believe a brighter sound. This model sounds great right out of the box..
Old 04-02-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
What sort of tone do you have now, and what would you consider an improvement?

There is a wealth of dispute on this forum about the effect of changing bridge pins, from having no effect or some "fine tuning" of tone and volume. In general, physics would suggest that it is the mass of the pins, and not the material, that has a noticeable effect.

Probably most here would suggest that if you want to change the tone, start with the saddle, since this is what is transferring energy from the strings to the guitar.

Take reviews on the internet with a grain of salt.
I will look into saddles as well, thank you! The guitar sounds wonderful. I am quite happy with it! It's the nicest guitar I have ever owned. I like to tinker. I often find myself swapping nuts, saddles, pickups, etc on my electric guitars, probably more because I enjoy it, than truly chasing perfect tone! I build hot rods and really just enjoy projects. Starting my first guitar build from scratch this week. It's a partscaster/Telecaster. I have a really nice old Fender Telecaster neck and going to try my hand at building the body from scratch.

I use that to offer some explanation. I am not looking for any specific tonal change. Probably more just looking to make A change, to what is really a perfect guitar, to me.

Someone should throw together a "tinkerer" pack, with a dozen different sets of strings, different bridge pins and saddles. ��

Thanks to all for responding and trying to help!

Nik
Old 04-02-2021, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Tinkering is fun. I put a set of Bob Colosi dyed bone pins in my Bourgeois because the original plastic ones were getting pretty ratty, and I liked the look. But I didn't hear much tonal change:
IMG_20191110_210402.jpg

(Call me Dan)
Old 04-02-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
Originals are black plastic, and if the pins you got in now is wood could explain the more mellow tone. I would switch to the original plastic pins and get more resonance and i believe a brighter sound. This model sounds great right out of the box..
So, I figured that out after my original post. The previous owner is looking for the original plastic pins. Though, I'm going to run down to the music shop and see if I can find those 13 gauge Martin Retro strings, to give them a shot, and see if they have any ebony pins, and maybe give those a shot.

I was kind of suspecting that the wood pins might give a more mellow tone. But, as many have suggested, I have no illusion of significant tonal change by swapping out bridge pins.

What are your guys' thoughts on trying the .13 gauge strings? I know that the questions that I am asking are entirely subjective, and all personal taste. I figure I'll try different strings until I find a set that I just love! All of my other acoustics are dreadnought, and every one gets the same 'ol medium-light Earthwoods.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
So, I figured that out after my original post. The previous owner is looking for the original plastic pins. Though, I'm going to run down to the music shop and see if I can find those 13 gauge Martin Retro strings, to give them a shot, and see if they have any ebony pins, and maybe give those a shot.

I was kind of suspecting that the wood pins might give a more mellow tone. But, as many have suggested, I have no illusion of significant tonal change by swapping out bridge pins.

What are your guys' thoughts on trying the .13 gauge strings? I know that the questions that I am asking are entirely subjective, and all personal taste. I figure I'll try different strings until I find a set that I just love! All of my other acoustics are dreadnought, and every one gets the same 'ol medium-light Earthwoods.
But if you are looking for a more bright sound as you wrote earlier, both retro strings and ebony pins is definitely not the way to go, i would say try some lifespans PB lights and plastic pins on that guitar, i also think 13´s will choke it.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I contacted Martin about putting 13 gauge strings on mine and they advised me to stick with 12's or lighter. That may just be them covering their butts but I stuck with 12's and I really like them.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion