The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I’m not an advanced player, more intermediate (i had another career take up most of my adult life.) Have been a singer songwriter since my teens and think I have fairly good ear, listening to every nuance on recordings (including things like pick noise and the different tones different materials make). My playing is a mix of strumming and what I'd call "soft picking", with a little finger-pciking thrown in. Tried my first casein pick earlier this year and thought there was a definite quieting of pick "clacking" on strumming. It did feel more silky smooth and individual notes were nicely warmer but still distinct/clear. I'm looking forward to trying out a couple of the thinner caseins now coming out.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I’m not an advanced player, more intermediate (i had another career take up most of my adult life.) Have been a singer songwriter since my teens and think I have fairly good ear, listening to every nuance on recordings (including things like pick noise and the different tones different materials make). My playing is a mix of strumming and what I'd call "soft picking", with a little finger-pciking thrown in. Tried my first casein pick earlier this year and thought there was a definite quieting of pick "clacking" on strumming. It did feel more silky smooth and individual notes were nicely warmer but still distinct/clear. I'm looking forward to trying out a couple of the thinner caseins now coming out.
Yeah, it's pretty weird and strange stuff, but really sounds different from everything else out there.

For those interested in trying casein without paying an arm and a leg, check out the Clayton NuTones, the Fender TruShells, and, my personal faves, the John Pearse Fast Turtles. All of these are well south of $10 per pick and will give you a taste of this really strange but wonderful material.

scott memmer
Old 09-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Just want to give some impressions of a clf nf-90 I received yesterday.

I have no experience with higher end picks. In my past I've typically used Fender mediums for acoustic and Fender jazz picks for electric. Had a brief daliance w/ a JP fast turtle (thicker casein) and didn't really like it much, too thick, didn't like the offset, kinda killed the high end a bit but it did sound more like playing with nails which is pretty cool.

Holy heck this thing is amazing. Spent maybe an hour playing my two nice acoustics, a 30 year old german/braz SCGC OM and an OM-28A. The volume and tone (esp. the midrange power) is just insane, it's like both guitars are on steroids. The Santa Cruz in particular has a headroom that I was not aware, it will now rip your head clean off if you stand in its way lol. I just can't believe a little pick can do this.

Last edited by brandall10; 09-05-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 PM

It looks like I'm a bit late to this party, but since Brandall was kind enough to resurrect this thread, I'll jump in.

Over the past couple of years I've transitioned from a mostly-electric player to mostly-acoustic, and I've upgraded my acoustic arsenal so that I now have some instruments that bring out nuances that lessor instruments just don't. My go-to pick has always been a Fender-style .73 celluloid, and I still prefer those for electric. But I recently tried some Tusq picks, and that's about all I use now for acoustic. They impart a thicker tone and almost none of the clicking noise you get with thin, flexible picks. My favorite is their large triangle BA 1.00, which they refer to as "warm."

Has anyone tried Tusq, and if so, what is your impression? As a pick newbe who is considering trying some higher-end picks, where is a good place to start? I checked out the CL website, and the NT-1.0 caught my eye, because it is the same shape and thickness as the Tusq I'm using now and.... well... it looks pretty.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Just received three new CL casein picks to add to my stash. These things are truly amazing and Scott is great to work with. The tone I get out of these has much more clarity and presence compared to anything else I’ve tried. Mikey likes it!
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 09-05-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

* Currently my top 3 picks I perform with are:

#1 Blue Chip Vespal Large triangle aka TAD-40/1.0 or TAD-50/1.25 with right hand speed bevel... the 50/1.25 wears better for performing for me, I can go thru a 40 in a month or so. Tone-wise they are great; fat, full and brings out mids nicely with rounded trebles. Very fast glide with speed bevel and no pick noise. This translates nicely when amplified.

#2 Hawk Casien Large triangle aka Tonebird 5 1.2 with right hand speed bevel... excellent bevel, nice polish, great presence/definition tone-wise; maybe a hair better then the BC, but they don't wear as well as the BC. Best bang for the buck among the boutique picks imo... Casein has a bit of pick noise vs vespal and poly which have almost zero.

#3 Primetone (smooth finish) polycarb in 1.0 teardrop... just a great sounding overall pick. Very musical across the board, no pick noise, decent sculpted bevel. Similar wear to casein. Btw the translucent version with the grip is a bit brighter and they sound good, but I prefer picks without grips on them.

** I do have a beautiful CLP Blue Casein 1.2 large triangle that sounded wonderful the first week, but it wore out quickly and seemed a bit sticky on the strings and no speed bevel... but the tone was piano deep in presence and definition while still offering round highs!

*** I also have an EML Casein 1.5 large triangle that has the nicest, best polished right hand speed bevel of all the above and sounds very fat, but the 1.5 is too thick for my tonal preference. If Eric ever tools up to make a 1.0 or 1.2, I'd buy it. For now tho, the BC TAD-50 works best for me overall and the Hawk Tonebird 5 is the best bang for the buck at about $14.62 each.

**** Lastly I tried Pearse Fast Turtle casein in 1.0 and 1.2 at my show last night. First off I don't like the odd shape, secondly no speed bevel so the 1.2 was dull and clumsy across the strings. The 1.0 was better especially when I angled it towards the nut. But the lack of speed bevel combined with odd shape made it my least favourite, yet the tone was nicer on the 1.0... there is nothing fast about these and I won't be buying them again.

Vespal and casein are both excellent but, there is something in casein that adds a bit more depth that I can't quite explain, it's just there! I sometimes use the characteristics of each as sort of a fine tune EQ at my shows when I've dialed in the Tak preamp and Loudbox yet need a hair more of this or that... pretty cool.

Last edited by noledog; 09-07-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Can’t say enough, my first exposure to casein was through CLP and I have not looked back, completely changed my playing and sound, The Pearse casein picks are my backups ....
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-06-2019, 11:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
Can’t say enough, my first exposure to casein was through CLP and I have not looked back, completely changed my playing and sound, The Pearse casein picks are my backups ....
Thanks for everyone's posts. I was floored when I first discovered casein. There are a number of great vendors who sell casein picks, ranging for about $6 a unit to $50. Great stuff. Enjoy!

Scott
Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Just received three new CL casein picks to add to my stash. These things are truly amazing and Scott is great to work with. The tone I get out of these has much more clarity and presence compared to anything else I’ve tried. Mikey likes it!
Mike, thanks for your kind words.

best,
scott
Old 09-18-2019, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Just read the first two pages of this thread. Never in my life would I have thought that picks are such a science. Always good to learn something new. I mostly just play with my nails as I just do not like the sound of picks.

So, it seems that Casein gives a warmer, rounder and less 'clicky' tone? Would that be somewhat akin to the difference between rosewood and mahogany top tone?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:33 AM

Default Cactus Picks

Hi All,
I know this may be a bit off topic re brand, but I am in the UK and I'm down to my last Cactus (grip medium) pick.. have they gone out of business..? I'm able to keep hold of this type of pick very well

Regards
Alan
Old 09-19-2019, 11:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Just read the first two pages of this thread. Never in my life would I have thought that picks are such a science. Always good to learn something new. I mostly just play with my nails as I just do not like the sound of picks.

So, it seems that Casein gives a warmer, rounder and less 'clicky' tone? Would that be somewhat akin to the difference between rosewood and mahogany top tone?

Thanks.
PTL, interesting analogy. I suppose somewhat like that.

Yes, pick materials are becoming quite a science. I came to casein after playing genuine tortoise picks for forty years. Its tonal similarity is quite shocking.

BTW, sometime in the next week I'm hoping to post a thread with recommendations for quality casein picks out there in the marketplace below $10. I think some of that info appears earlier in this thread. No reason to pay $30-40 on a lunatic fringe high-end casein pick till you find out if the material suits you and your playing. No one material is for everyone, which is why there are so many options out there.

best,
scott memmer
Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post

** I do have a beautiful CLP Blue Casein 1.2 large triangle that sounded wonderful the first week, but it wore out quickly and seemed a bit sticky on the strings and no speed bevel... but the tone was piano deep in presence and definition while still offering round highs!
I have a CLP Blue Casein 1.2 that I picked up during the last blem sale that probably has at least 30 hours of hard picking and strumming clocked in without any signs of wear. I gave it a slight bevel and it is a great pick to use on my D-18 when I'm playing solo, doing singer/songwriter material.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerpicker23 View Post
I have a CLP Blue Casein 1.2 that I picked up during the last blem sale that probably has at least 30 hours of hard picking and strumming clocked in without any signs of wear. I gave it a slight bevel and it is a great pick to use on my D-18 when I'm playing solo, doing singer/songwriter material.
* Good for you... I perform full-time 4 to 6 four hour shows a week using medium gauge strings and my attack can be be very rapid and strong a la Pete Townsend at times. Add to that the DJ-style scratch sounds I do scraping the strings and in a week or so, all three sides of my CLP Blue 1.2 was worn. Love the tone tho, just not a good choice for my heavy gigging and style.

** FWIW I've worn BC TP 40's out too in about a 6 week period, so I changed to TAD 50's which wear and sound better.… my CASEIN pick of choice has become Hawk Tonebird 5's with speed bevel. They wear a little better, but not by much and so I do re-bevel them a bit.

*** Scott's Blue had a wonderfully deep tone and presence tho and he is top shelf in customer service and satisfaction. I'm grateful for him turning me and many others on to the wonderful tone of CASEIN.... Cheers!
Old 11-12-2019, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* Good for you... I perform full-time 4 to 6 four hour shows a week using medium gauge strings and my attack can be be very rapid and strong a la Pete Townsend at times. Add to that the DJ-style scratch sounds I do scraping the strings and in a week or so, all three sides of my CLP Blue 1.2 was worn. Love the tone tho, just not a good choice for my heavy gigging and style.

** FWIW I've worn BC TP 40's out too in about a 6 week period, so I changed to TAD 50's which wear and sound better.… my CASEIN pick of choice has become Hawk Tonebird 5's with speed bevel. They wear a little better, but not by much and so I do re-bevel them a bit.

*** Scott's Blue had a wonderfully deep tone and presence tho and he is top shelf in customer service and satisfaction. I'm grateful for him turning me and many others on to the wonderful tone of CASEIN.... Cheers!
NOLO, sorry I didn't catch this sooner. Been busy busy.

Your assessment of casein is spot-on-perfect. It's tone and feel is very similar to genuine tortoise shell, the closest legal alternative I've found in more than 40 years of searching. However, also similar to genuine TS, it WILL wear over time. In the kind of playing you're doing -- clubbing with lots of noise, I'd probably refrain myself. But for a concert setting, a true listening environment, esp if you just stick a 57 or 58 in front of it -- wow wow wow. I really concur with your opinion. This is so valuable to the other members here, as you have no vested interest and, as a professional working musician, are just sharing your real-world experiences. Great stuff!

Just to add, but brown material that we and BC use is one of the most durable plastics on the planet. I know many players who have played them heavily for years, with nary a sign of wear.

Thanks again, NOLO. You gettin' off the road for a couple weeks in December.

Happiest of Holidays. Don't each too much -- cuz I will.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion