The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-17-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
By your descriptive, that does not sound like a competent tech to me.

10 thou relief is pretty high to start with.

Steve
My opinion also.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:09 AM

When you do not have buzzing when fretting the lower frets but it buzzes when you fret in the middle frets, 5th - 7th like yours, that means there is too much relief, not too little. The dip in the fingerboard in the middle causes the strings to hit the higher frets.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
So which fret was it buzzing on, these are all things a competent tech can tell you the momment they get the guitar, you play it, they assess it, show you were the buzz is and what the repair process is, it takes less than 5 minutes to do all the above.

Yu should have a fixed price and knowledge of what is being done before you even leave their workshop.

Steve
The price was $50. He said he would get the action to 2/32” without buzzing. Let’s see if he can.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
When you do not have buzzing when fretting the lower frets but it buzzes when you fret in the middle frets, 5th - 7th like yours, that means there is too much relief, not too little. The dip in the fingerboard in the middle causes the strings to hit the higher frets.
That's an excellent point. I think sometimes when there's buzzing, the inclination is to keep adding more relief until it goes away. I had another guitar that had some slight buzzing on the B string in the middle frets and I tightened the truss rod a bit and sure enough it went away!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
That's an excellent point. I think sometimes when there's buzzing, the inclination is to keep adding more relief until it goes away. I had another guitar that had some slight buzzing on the B string in the middle frets and I tightened the truss rod a bit and sure enough it went away!
The first thing to know is that the answer to all problems is not to adjust the truss rod. The truss rod has exactly one, and only one, specific purpose, which is to adjust/maintain the bow in the neck. It is only one aspect of the setup of a guitar and only one possible cause, of many, setup issues.

Just because the truss rod is the easiest thing to alter doesn't mean that doing so will resolve the issue one has.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The first thing to know is that the answer to all problems is not to adjust the truss rod. The truss rod has exactly one, and only one, specific purpose, which is to adjust/maintain the bow in the neck. It is only one aspect of the setup of a guitar and only one possible cause, of many, setup issues.

Just because the truss rod is the easiest thing to alter doesn't mean that doing so will resolve the issue one has.
I agree. But understanding HOW adjusting the relief effects everything else is also important. I think a good starting point is to get the neck flat so there is no relief and then loosen a little at a time until it's where you want it.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I agree. But understanding HOW adjusting the relief effects everything else is also important. I think a good starting point is to get the neck flat so there is no relief and then loosen a little at a time until it's where you want it.
Where is "where you want it"?
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM

Ok got the guitar back today.

He got the action to 5/64 on the low E and 4/64 in the high E. He said the saddle was way too high and he took a lot off the saddle, which lowered action and took a lot of tension out of the strings. He set the relief at .010 and didn’t touch the nut. Plays beautifully without any buzz. Don’t know how he did it but he did!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair