The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
That was a bit cynical though spot on. I'm guessing that he/she has spent an awful long time lurking here on the site and have seen this type of topic follow the exact roadmap that they posted. I'll gladly follow them over their next 500 posts if they are even half as insightful and entertaining as #23. ��
Reply deleted.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 03-01-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
I edited my OP to define "better".

Well OK then. The question has been refined. Which takes it to a whole new level. Unfortunately, the word "better" is going to evoke major tirades -- which will include "better for who", "it's all personal taste", "my favorite is ......" etc., etc. etc.

Deja vu all over again.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:09 PM

The best martin style OMs I have played were made by tj Thompson (but assembled by martin), Wayne Henderson and Lynn dudenbostel. I have also played a Merrill that was excellent but did not sound at all like a Martin but having more overtones more approaching somogyi type level of responsiveness. But then again I have not played a prewar martin but only more modern martin guitar so for all I know vintage Martins may sound like that Merrill...
Old 03-01-2017, 08:10 PM

It's pretty simple really:

Only Taylor makes Taylors
Only Martin makes Martins
Only Santa Cruz makes Saints Cruses

Only Mercedes Benz makes a Mercedes Benz
Only John Deer makes a John Deer

Got it?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:13 PM

i can tell you imo who makes great guitars but which one makes your boat float is your personal choice . I have a martin OM28v -its a great guitar , not a good guitar- a great guitar . i also own a Mike Franks Brazilian Legacy Dread , its a great guitar -but it has a a different sound -one i really like as well ( its not a Martin -but its own animal ) - so you have to try different quality guitars and see what floats your boat wether it be a
Guild , Martin , Collings or what ever -good luck and have fun in the search for the one.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Well, I hope you can respect that some of us don't have a problem with the premise and have an opinion. Topics like this are bound to ruffle feathers, especially with the brand-loyalty that Martin has. The best we can do is respect that we all have opinions and preferences. I've purchased Martin-style guitars that I thought were better than the Martin version, but I totally respect that some people would not make that same choice, and might think my guitar was too heavy in overtones, or not heavy enough in the bass. Doesn't make them wrong or me right. Just means we have opinions about which is the superior Martin STYLE guitar.
Fair enough. But if we're talking about traditional style builds here, aren't all non-Gibson type guitars "Martin STYLE" guitars? And if so, then isn't it really moot to ask which style of Martin is better, when we are really comparing brands, not "styles"? So IMO, the question isn't who makes a better Martin D-28, it's, who do you think makes the best traditional standard scale 14-fret dread.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
First you'll get the "nobody makes a better Martin than Martin" guys.

Then you got the "insert boutique $4,000 brands" guys.

Then you got the "insert name of obscure independent luthier whose guitars are the best I've ever played and he lives in my town and you should try his guitars" guys.

Then you got the "argue over the definition of what is a Martin" guys.

Then you got the "I will never buy another Martin again after insert random bad experience" guys.

Then you got the 11+ pages of arguing and the thread is closed for having veered too much off topic from original question.
This reply was perfect, except that you forgot the "Blueridge/Recording King/Silver Creek guitars are just as good at a fraction of the price" crowd.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic View Post
First you'll get the "nobody makes a better Martin than Martin" guys.

Then you got the "insert boutique $4,000 brands" guys.

Then you got the "insert name of obscure independent luthier whose guitars are the best I've ever played and he lives in my town and you should try his guitars" guys.

Then you got the "argue over the definition of what is a Martin" guys.

Then you got the "I will never buy another Martin again after insert random bad experience" guys.

Then you got the 11+ pages of arguing and the thread is closed for having veered too much off topic from original question.
You left out "Eastman makes every part of every one entirely by hand for thousands less."

rct
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Fair enough. But if we're talking about traditional style builds here, aren't all non-Gibson type guitars "Martin STYLE" guitars? And if so, then isn't it really moot to ask which style of Martin is better, when we are really comparing brands, not "styles"? So IMO, the question isn't who makes a better Martin D-28, it's, who do you think makes the best traditional standard scale 14-fret dread.
Well.... Not really, because you come into things like bracing (Larrivee symetrical for example) and other considerations that make many differ from the traditional Martin style significantly but I don't think either of us want to drag this out into minutia and I think we both see where each other is coming from, and I'm cool with that.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:17 PM

I suspect that if it sounds a lot like a Martin D35 ( I think the OP asked about ), but with "More" of what the OP likes about the D35, then that would fit the bill.

So, if a few people that have D-35s would define just what a D-35 sounds like to them, we could go on that bit of data to suggest a brand/model that " Does it better " .

It may be that he may have to spend a bit more for what is suggested, but as long as it stays in the stated budget, that would be OK, I think.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM

no one. only martin makes martins. other may make copies and they may be subjectively better but they are not a martin made by martin.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-01-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
It's pretty simple really:

Only Taylor makes Taylors
Only Martin makes Martins
Only Santa Cruz makes Saints Cruses

Only Mercedes Benz makes a Mercedes Benz
Only John Deer makes a John Deer

Got it?
Thank you! Who lets these threads go on past page 1?
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-01-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
only martin makes martins.
But the question is now who makes a better Martin.

Is the answer still Martin?

I have a feeling that the answer is yes. Or no.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHill View Post
This was mentioned in another thread, but I'd like some opinions. Specifically who makes a better D-28 or HD-35 type of dreadnought?

By better, I mean more consistent sound from guitar to guitar, and better quality in build. I am specifically interested in spruce / EIR tonewoods. I like the sound of that combination. Cost is secondary, but given an HD-35 MAP is $3229 or thereabouts, I'd like the answers to be in the $3000-4000K range. I'm not looking to spend $6K+ on a new guitar. I'm also not looking for a dread that sounds like a Taylor. I'm looking for a dread that sounds more like what the a good Martin D-28 or D-35 sounds like. Flat picking or strumming would be the main style of play.

And, yes, I know I can just buy a Martin. Just wanting to open up my options for consideration.
What is "Better" is a very subjective experience and people have their tastes and preferences. So if you really prefer the Martin Tone you will by default prefer the Martin Tone over Taylor for example. It doesn't mean one is inherently "better" than the other, comparisons such as these only communicate what we like and prefer.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Answers will be Collings, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz
Absolutely NOT^^^

None of those fine guitars is better than a comparable level of quality Martin...and NONE of them sounds either a little...or alot...like the actual Martin "Martin" tone.

Really...if you want the Martin sound...the Martin tone...the Martin dynamic response...

Buy a Martin

end of story

duff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion