The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Was that remark really helpful or necessary ?
certainly not helpful at all

This is what I get for voicing my opinion,
which in this case went against the grain.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Was that remark really helpful or necessary ?
Probably not but AmericanEagle would suggest a Taylor even if a Taylor weren't being considered. It gets tiresome.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I am a Taylor enthusiast, and I voted for the Taylor.
You never suggest anything but Taylor. Redundant and predictable.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
Probably not but AmericanEagle would suggest a Taylor even if a Taylor weren't being considered. It gets tiresome.
What gets tiresome is the bashing that goes on here if someone posts something against the majority. I feel the Taylor is the better choice.
Sad that my opinion gets jumped on like that.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosborn View Post
You never suggest anything but Taylor. Redundant and predictable.
Martin snobbery is what is redundant here.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM

Yawn. Let the thread get back to the OP's intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
What gets tiresome is the bashing that goes on here if someone posts something against the majority. I feel the Taylor is the better choice.
You go with taylor i'm go with martin! we will meet him with gibson and others at a crossroads!
Old 01-10-2016, 08:56 PM

OP, have you considered a Larrivee? Great guitars that come in at a nice price with a sound that falls between a Taylor and a Martin. Something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2016, 09:15 PM

The Martin D-18 isn't just a fantastic guitar for the money -- it's a fantastic guitar, period. Good call going with that one -- I want one myself.

I have a friend who had a 414ce. It was a fine guitar, but didn't ever really offer a sound or feel that would ever make me want to play it. Apparently he ended up feeling the same way because he sold it last year. Guess what he bought? A Martin D-16A, which is pretty close to being a D-18. It sounds really good, so much more of everything than the Taylor.

I personally prefer Taylor's dreadnoughts (I own one of the all-solid US-made 210s from about ten years ago) and their 12-fret grand concerts. That said, I don't know that they have anything that punches above its price point the way the D-18 does.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqsrv View Post
I have not played the 000-18 but I have played the 000-28 and the Eric Clapton. Both great guitars but I'm not looking short scale right now. I also tried the om-21 and really liked that but the D-18 beat it out for me. So I did play allot of guitars. Breedloves, laravees, seagulls, martins, yamahas and Taylor's. It really came down to these 2. I do love them both.
These opinions are very helpful.
It's very interesting that it's a landslide for the Martin.
Anyone think the Taylor?
The 000-18 is far more impressive an instrument than the 000-28EC, in my opinion. To put it in perspective, the 000-28EC has the same bracing on it as the D-18. That doesn't make any sense for a small bodied guitar. The 000-18 has thinner bracing and is far more responsive and open sounding. Others will likely disagree, but the take home is this: play an 000-18 along side the other guitars you've mentioned before you make your purchase. My point is just that the 18 will sound A LOT different from the EC. Your job (and I'm jealous!) is to decide which one suits your ear. Have fun!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Buy the 414ce and stuff it with bunch of socks for that Martin sound.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Perhaps AE it would be helpful or productive to offer more substantive reasons that are based on your experience with a variety of Taylor guitars. In this instance, what attributes of the 414 set it apart from the D-18, which you presumably have played as well?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM

D-18 for sure!
Old 01-10-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Perhaps AE it would be helpful or productive to offer more substantive reasons that are based on your experience with a variety of Taylor guitars. In this instance, what attributes of the 414 set it apart from the D-18, which you presumably have played as well?
Great idea!

When I was originally buying my first high end guitar I played both the Taylor 414 and the D-18. Both are beautiful guitars and both were comfortable to play. To my ears the Taylor was had more balance in a treble-y kind of way and lacked a prominent base response. The low E on the 414 sounded like the A on the D-18. The D-18 was also balanced but offered more bass response and, to me, more clarity across the strings. I ended up with the D-18 but would never rule out a Taylor for future consideration, especially a Cedar topped Taylor.

I've also played a Larrivee L-03 which, to me, reminded me more of a Taylor than it did a Martin. I owned a Larrivee L-03R that was a wonderful guitar with incredible sustain and just a joy to play. I've also owned an Alvarez MD-70 that started me on my solid wood guitar journey. That guitar is with my son now but I have fond memories of that guitar and so does my former guitar instructor. She loved it so much that she considered adding one to her stable and she has three D-28s. So, I've owned and played a few guitars before I realized that a 1-3/4" nut works best for me and before I finally decided to plunge into the Martin world. Believe me, I hesitated purchasing a Martin for a very long time looking for that sound in less expensive guitar. I finally found it in a Martin and now I wonder why I waited so long.

Last edited by rosborn; 01-10-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 PM

Good choice. I was going to suggest the one that moves you the most as they are very different but, your choice has been made. Congrats.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion