The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Sometimes older equipment is better

Hi I am a newbie.

A singer/guitarist from London UK.

Recently I brought the new Mackie pro FX 8 and was initally excited as it has some great features and lots of headroom.
But I also have the previous mackie DFX 6 and although a bit less headroom them the Pro FX 8 and more bigger in size. I find the sound quality on the DFX 6 much better then the ProFX 8.

I brought the pro FX because of the added USB feature and will keep it for that reason.

But The mic pre's are so good on the previous version the Mackie DFX 6 that I find I can plug my jack to jack lead straight into the line input without the need for a DI box.
Though the Pro FX 8 has has a DI input the overall sound quality is'nt quite the same.

I am finding that sometime with older equipment there is a warmth that the new upgrade's are missing.

Has anyone else found this with there equipment?

Its a shame that the DFX 6 is now discontinued.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
Hi I am a newbie.

A singer/guitarist from London UK.

Recently I brought the new Mackie pro FX 8 and was initally excited as it has some great features and lots of headroom.
But I also have the previous mackie DFX 6 and although a bit less headroom them the Pro FX 8 and more bigger in size. I find the sound quality on the DFX 6 much better then the ProFX 8.

I brought the pro FX because of the added USB feature and will keep it for that reason.

But The mic pre's are so good on the previous version the Mackie DFX 6 that I find I can plug my jack to jack lead straight into the line input without the need for a DI box.
Though the Pro FX 8 has has a DI input the overall sound quality is'nt quite the same.

I am finding that sometime with older equipment there is a warmth that the new upgrade's are missing.

Has anyone else found this with there equipment?

Its a shame that the DFX 6 is now discontinued.
I currently have a Mackie DFX-12, and I also had another one that I recently traded-in. I think the slightly older Mackie DFX-12 and DFX-6 boards sound very good. I also have a newer Mackie 802VLZ3 board, and frankly, I don't hear much difference between the boards. Aside from its additional features, such as a USB connection, I'd bet most players could hear little or no difference between the Mackie DFX Series and the new Pro FX Series. Your description of finding your older Mackie DFX-6 board "better sounding" than your new Mackie ProFX 8 board, may hold true for many players, though. Sometimes, newer ain't necessarily better, but it may offer more versatility.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-02-2010, 05:18 AM

Hi sprucetop

Yes your right.

Its a bit strange with my DFX 6 I have to turn the fader and gains fairly high before I get a decent signal but the signal is very clean and crystal clear. I play private parties and small wine bars. My set up is a DFX 6 mixer link to it through the aux sends I have a TC Electronic Mone effects unit which has some really nice reverbs and delay settings. Plus a RCF Art 322A and sometimes the RCF Art 310-A which is smaller then the 322 A.

I am happy just using one speaker. My guitar is a Cort Jumbo CJ5X which has a nice Fishman prefix plus pick up.
I use various mics I like the AKG C 535 although a very good mic you it can pick up a bit of siblance , the Beta sgure 58a which has great presence and the Audio tech AE5400 condenser mic which I like a lot though not cheap.

Whats your set up Spruce?

Dave

Last edited by Mr Blues; 05-02-2010 at 05:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD