The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Grit Laskin Guitar - Doc Watson Design

Grit is creating another masterpiece for the shop - this one inspired by Doc Watson.

Here are a few shots of the initial inlay design templates:

Here is what Grit said about this one:

"One of the most beloved and influential guitarists was the legend who passed away just last year, Doc Watson. I began thinking about Doc, and about the natural world and the title from Shakespeare popped into my head: ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream,’ which takes place in a forest. The more I read about Doc, the more his life inspired me: His musical beginnings, the events in his life that shaped him and the fact that what gave him the musical bug was the shape-note hymns sung by his mother. My brain locked onto that seminal influence and also latched onto the literal meaning of the word shape — this old-style singing shaped his life, yes, but the notes themselves also provided physical shapes in which I could place scenes and elements from his life. Bingo. I’m putting a large portrait of Doc picking a guitar on the headstock in the same realistic I used for John Lennon on the ‘Imagine’ guitar. Flowing down the fret board are the seven basic shapes of shape notes (do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti) large enough to place within elements such as Doc’s earliest musical instruments, his early solo album, ‘Southbound,’ which first brought him to prominence. In fact, the working title of the piece is ‘Southbound.’" - Grit Laskin

We love his work and this one is going to be amazing.

Paul H.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 AM

Paul, it was nice (very briefly) meeting you at the Petros table.

I was actually on your website last night as I was browsing for Grit Laskin's guitars -- and stumbled upon the page you had created for this custom build.

This will be a very fine guitar indeed. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a good home for it.

For some reason I always thought that Grit was located somewhere in Western Canada -- but when I found out that he's actually in Toronto, I couldn't resist sending him an email (which he actually replied to on a Sunday morning).
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM

astonishing inlay artist is Grit Laskin. Had a wonderful talk with him at Healdsburg.

Kevin.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pleasure meeting you as well in Healdsburg! What a great show. This one is going to be an amazing instrument. I will keep everyone posted as we get more images on build progress!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
custom inlay, doc watson, dream guitars, dreamguitars.com, grit laskin guitar