The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis1971 View Post
No one buys laminate over solid wood if they can avoid it.
I would, on the right guitar.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:26 AM

Kieran Moloney musical instruments in Galway has some Sheeran guitars in stock. He also has a video of three of them being played on Facebook, I don't know how to copy the link here but you'll find it easily enough.
They sound good, I was quite impressed. Kieran is a very pleasant man to deal with and also stocks real Lowdens, McIlroy and O'Rainne Irish made guitars along with several Irish made mandolins and bouzoukis.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
If they are only going to make 24 guitars or 1248 per year, it's still going to be a pretty boutique-ish guitar.
Just wondering where you came by that number, LR - that’s not something I’ve heard. GLG Co. make around that number of their frontline Lowden instruments per year, I’d expect a much greater number of ‘Sheerans’ would be planned.

Could you give a link to it?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 10-03-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagerty View Post
I went on a tour of the Lowden shop in Downpatrick today, it was pretty sweet and a really great experience. Here is some updated info about the sheeran's and lowden in general ...

- played three of the sheeran models - W02, W03, S03. The W03 sounded the best to me.

- Cases are nice - made by the same manufacturer that makes Mono gig bags, looked and felt just like the M80.

- Same bracing as the traditional Lowden models, although slightly heavier, I think due to the layered back

- Built in a new factory IN Northern Ireland, about 10 minutes from the Downpatrick location. Next year all of Lowden will move to the new facility so everything will be under one roof.

- These have been 3 years in the making, pulled George out of semi retirement, and the biggest delay in production has been the finishing. Originally they were spraying them with the satin poly finish like the traditional models, but have since moved to the oil rubbed finish like the electrics.

- They will be shipping to dealers who have pre orders in the new few weeks, and then supplying 1 of each model to dealers for some stock, but said they are very back logged due to pre orders.

Lowden is still making the majority of the guitars by hand- CNC cutting necks, but they are shaped and finished by hand, a plek machine shaping the fretboards, otherwise they are cut, shaped, glued, sprayed, assembled, set up and package all by hand. They have a production goal of 24 guitars a week..

I only wish the would allow you to purchase direct from the showroom, I had some money set aside but I'm going to wait until I can get down to a dealer.
It's in this post from the previous page from Hagarty who visited the plant.

But maybe 24 is what they are hoping for now, but will up that number in the future.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Ah! Thanks, LR - I’d read Hagerty’s post, but that detail had gone straight over my head! Duh!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 AM

Designed by George Lowden (after his S and Wee models), built under George Lowden supervision, with a couple of cost killing options (one piece neck, no binding at all, laminate body with a solid top, reclaimed woods, single saddle, chrome tuners...) All other important Lowden features like the pinless bridge and original bracing are there. As they wrote : "George Lowden designed the guitars for the player, for uncompromising tone and playability with a careful choice of woods to ensure innate natural beauty. An ‘almost bare’ finish enhances this."
They sure aren't Lowden but certainly appealing instruments for a quarter of the less expensive new Lowden. And... they're landing in the shops now!
2015 S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce)
2020 Jérôme Lair French Romantic guitar (Yew/Spruce)
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreM View Post
Designed by George Lowden (after his S and Wee models), built under George Lowden supervision, with a couple of cost killing options (one piece neck, no binding at all, laminate body with a solid top, reclaimed woods, single saddle, chrome tuners...) All other important Lowden features like the pinless bridge and original bracing are there. As they wrote : "George Lowden designed the guitars for the player, for uncompromising tone and playability with a careful choice of woods to ensure innate natural beauty. An ‘almost bare’ finish enhances this."

They sure aren't Lowden but certainly appealing instruments for a quarter of the less expensive new Lowden. And... they're landing in the shops now!

I don’t understand how solid v laminate is cost killing. It costs about $100 more for the d jr over the lower cost laminate Martin. How bout rephrasing this as “profit maximizing” options? Cmon. Make it out of solid wood. Ridiculous
Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagerty View Post
I went on a tour of the Lowden shop in Downpatrick today, it was pretty sweet and a really great experience. Here is some updated info about the sheeran's and lowden in general ...

- played three of the sheeran models - W02, W03, S03. The W03 sounded the best to me.

- Cases are nice - made by the same manufacturer that makes Mono gig bags, looked and felt just like the M80.

- Same bracing as the traditional Lowden models, although slightly heavier, I think due to the layered back

- Built in a new factory IN Northern Ireland, about 10 minutes from the Downpatrick location. Next year all of Lowden will move to the new facility so everything will be under one roof.

- These have been 3 years in the making, pulled George out of semi retirement, and the biggest delay in production has been the finishing. Originally they were spraying them with the satin poly finish like the traditional models, but have since moved to the oil rubbed finish like the electrics.

- They will be shipping to dealers who have pre orders in the new few weeks, and then supplying 1 of each model to dealers for some stock, but said they are very back logged due to pre orders.

Lowden is still making the majority of the guitars by hand- CNC cutting necks, but they are shaped and finished by hand, a plek machine shaping the fretboards, otherwise they are cut, shaped, glued, sprayed, assembled, set up and package all by hand. They have a production goal of 24 guitars a week.

I only wish the would allow you to purchase direct from the showroom, I had some money set aside but I'm going to wait until I can get down to a dealer.
any idea if they are up to 24 guitars a week yet?
Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndavis1971 View Post
I don’t understand how solid v laminate is cost killing. It costs about $100 more for the d jr over the lower cost laminate Martin. How bout rephrasing this as “profit maximizing” options? Cmon. Make it out of solid wood. Ridiculous
I still haven't been able to lay hands on a Sheeran, but I think that some people think that solid versus laminated back/sides makes a bigger difference in tone than it actually does. Sure, most discriminating players will choose all-solid over laminate. But just because a guitar is made out of all solid woods does not mean it'll sound better than a laminate body. In fact, right now I've got an all solid Guild F-1512 and a laminate Guild F-2512. The 2512 is louder, more responsive, and most importantly... it's LIGHTER. Laminate woods enable guitars to be build lighter. Which usually results in them being louder and more responsive. There are MANY great sounding guitars in the sub-$2K price range that are laminate. Solid top is by far the most important part of a guitar being solid. There are those who say that the more rigid the back and sides are, the better the guitar will sound. Lamination adds to rigidity.

At any rate, I've got plenty of all-solid American-made instruments in the man cave, but I don't expect a guitar coming in at the price point the Sheerans are to be all-solid. Some are, many aren't.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
There is NOTHING wrong with laminate back and sides...done well...they work basically just as well as solid back and sides...and certainly on an inexpensive guitar that is not going to be highly "tuned" for maximum dynamic response, they will work just great. Yamaha has done this for many decades on many of their lower price point guitars, and those guitars...of which I have owned quite a few...can and often do sound terrific.

These are really high quality, evidently very much made by hand, lower price point guitars. Again, this was a stated goal of Ed Sheeran's, to make a guitar that was much more affordable for folks who want to learn and play, but don't have a lot of money to spend on an instrument.

Why not give them a chance. Let's see how they do as they roll them out into the public's hands before we bash the crud out of them.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Because everyone knows that expensive cork smells better than cheap cork!!!

Old 02-11-2020, 04:32 AM

Just saw this on Youtube:

Apparently they don't sound good (at all). From the comments (this is from Richard himself):

Quote:
The W01 literally sounds like you have strung up a tin can .... a £600 tin can though.
Sheesh.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

All along, it's seemed like most of the people who've tried the Sheeran's have come to the same conclusion as Richard.

A year ago, I was excited about these guitars but the comments I've been hearing have taken all of the gas out of the balloon. I got an email from Music Zoo almost two weeks ago that the Sheeran guitars were now in stock. I still haven't gone over to try them and MZ is only about 15 minutes away!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

First of all, I love Lowdens, but that’s beside the point. If you are a guitar dealer, you need to carry and sell what your clients want, not what you would buy for yourself. Some dealers just don’t get that it’s a business.

As for the Sheehan’s. I was at TME in Lexington Saturday afternoon. I believe the have around 6 or 8 Sheehan’s out on the floor for sale. I lost interest with the long wait, but they are what they are. They are not Lowdens, and I never thought they would be (not at that price point). However, they are a good starting point for someone who can’t afford to spend even $5k or $6k on a Lowden, and wants that style of guitar. They are a great alternative to a Road Series Martin, or a lower end Taylor.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Well, he is pretty up front that they are not his cup of tea and he doesn't want to be in the position of selling something he doesn't believe in. He supports what Lowden and Sheeran are doing and thinks that the guitars will get better over time. And, time will tell. Clearly, Richard is pained to not be supporting this British business venture and understands his role in advising people about quality guitars. He is not the first guitar shop owner to pick and choose his inventory based on his own experience and expertise. You only have room for so much inventory so you might as well represent the products that you believe in the most.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I think in the price category, they are what they are. Play one or two before you label them. TME has them next to the guitars in the same price category, and they hold their own there. If you are a shopping for a sub-$1500 guitar, they are a viable option for someone looking for an alternative to Martin, Taylor, Eastman, etc.

Does anyone know if Richards Guitars has even had a Lowden in stock? I looked at his website and it is mainly Eastman, Godin, etc. I didn’t see any of the higher priced names there that I expected to see? Is this a new shop?

My point being here is that give the Sheerans a chance, and judge them amongst their “peers”.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion