The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Default which headphones?

I have to hold my headphones against my face to get good sound. When I do the sound is excellent but I dont see any way to tighten them up. I was going to buy another pair but in looking at reviews all of them seem to have problems that dont show up right away. Would you recommend a pair for me under $100 please?
Old 04-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Some studio standards:
Sony MDR 7506
Sennheiser HD280
AKG K240

Grado SR80i
I have the Grados. They are not for everybody or every situation, but they are very detailed and have a longstanding reputation for high quality. Not the most comfortable for longer sessions.

From goodcans.com:
Grado SR60i and SR80i - Hands down, these are our favorite headphones! Why! Because the price/performance ratio is about the highest we have found. Compared to the average, under $50 closed package, department store headphone; the detail offered by these Grados is a huge, noticeable improvement! And, though you can spend a lot more money on headphones, the improvement in sound quality those hundred dollar plus Cans have over the SR80i will only be minor no matter how much you spend! We do want to mention though, Grado's are very "Open" headphones. Sound leaks in and out so they may not be appropriate for use in some public applications. These Grado's are mid-sized headphones, but they are easy to drive so they are popular for both home and portable use. FYI, for well over a decade, the Grado SR60 and SR80 have been best sellers. In 2009, Grado has tweaked them both a bit. Hence, the "i" now found after the model number.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I will second the recommendation of Grado headphones. Their various versions are top rated by Consumer Reports. In your price range check out the Grado Prestige SR80e headphone: https://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR80e-P.../dp/B00L1LXOWS

They are open back headphones so not for the actual recording time but for listening back, possible post recording tweaks, etc..

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I will second the recommendation of Grado headphones. Their various versions are top rated by Consumer Reports. In your price range check out the Grado Prestige SR80e headphone: https://www.amazon.com/Grado-SR80e-P.../dp/B00L1LXOWS
Thanks, Rick. Yes, those are the ones I have.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:14 PM

thank you both, I want them primarily for listening at the gym. It helps the boredom and blocks whatever they call the crap they play through the gym's speakers. Open backs dont seem like that would be for that situation. Im sorry I didnt think to mention that.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Default The world's most famous headphones?

But first the history. The year is 1988 and the manufacturers of the first commercial supersonic airliner approached Sennheiser with a problem...

...having solved that problem Sennheiser realized there might be some money in it and released their new creation to the general public. 31 years later and despite trying (...and failing) to push the new and improved versions of the HD-25 on the public, the original version STILL remains king.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD...gateway&sr=8-4

I should add, these headphones clamp hard, and you will begin to feel the pressure on your ears after about an hour or so.

However, on the plus side these headphones are VERY loud, have superior passive noise cancelling abilities, sound great (reminds me a lot of the Grado SR80i) and are virtually indestructible. They will outlast you, and possibly your grandchildren...

...however if you're clumsy enough to let an express train run over them, then this is how you disassemble and replace the parts (which are available from Sennheiser and other third party vendors).

I recommend buying used and replacing the earpads. You should then be good to go.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 04-04-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 PM

thank you all so much for your help, your description of the Hd 25's is compelling. Amazon has them for 100 bucks new but they are described as "old design". What does that mean, inferior mechanics or is it just aesthetics?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
thank you all so much for your help, your description of the Hd 25's is compelling. Amazon has them for 100 bucks new but they are described as "old design". What does that mean, inferior mechanics or is it just aesthetics?
They were introduced in 1988. I think that makes them the oldest headphones currently in production. The fact that they still sound 'cutting edge' in an era of 24bit/196khz Hi Res audio is a testament to their design.

Sennheiser knows what they’re doing...
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

Last edited by Sonics; 04-04-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:54 PM
Musical minimalist

You said "at the gym" - is there a reason you aren't considering in ear phones (buds)? The way I sweat, I'd ruin and home headphone within a few workouts.

I'd tell you to spend 15-20 bucks for some earbuds and find a decent phone for home.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 AM

could be the buds I have but the gym "music" is too loud and my music is too soft. The phones are a ton better but still a better when held. Would buying a different set of buds do the job, are there better fitting/sounding buds than others? I dont sweat on my head, just body.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
could be the buds I have but the gym "music" is too loud and my music is too soft. The phones are a ton better but still a better when held. Would buying a different set of buds do the job, are there better fitting/sounding buds than others? I dont sweat on my head, just body.
Oh - if you are in a really noisy gym I can see the issues. There are some smaller over ear phones that probably would be better for what you are using them for. I'm not an well versed in anything but home phones, but I'm sure there are some here that are knowledgeable in smaller over ear phones that may block out some noise. Be careful though, about exercising and listening to higher volume levels. The inner ear is more susceptible during exercise as blood flow is drawn away from it to be used elsewhere.

Here's Best Buy's list of noise cancelling earbuds....wide range of prices.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...elling+earbuds

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN