The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-24-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Sorry Dave, but I have picture proof that he didn't! - the pics below have just come through from Micheal, taken the day the guitar was delivered.

Seriously, I very much appreciate your comments about the guitar - you have some stellar instruments yourself; the Sheppard Dream Series and fan-fret Baranik were two of my personal highlights from Saturday's get-together at Ian's. Seriously...they were really great guitars and opened my ears to both of these great builders even though they had serious competition at that meet. You're a lucky guy!

...and so am I:

I've had twins!

I wish I could build a guitar as nice as this one...

Oh...I just did!

Cheers,
Steve

Nice Arc on display there Steve,if you feel the need for an upgrade and you need to lose one of your guitars i can accommodate
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 PM

Nice pictures. Nice guitar. And a lovely looking pad.

Congrats, Steve!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Nice pictures.
These might be a bit nicer? They are some from the "pro" shots that Jason had done just before the guitar left the States:

Believe me, it's even better in the flesh!

If proof were needed that Jason can do the business on his own, in Arizona rather than California, the pics above should provide some: This is the first guitar to emanate from Jason's new shop. What a way to start!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Hey, does Jason throw in a pair of red sneakers with each guitar? Well, anyway that is fine stuff from head to toe!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Dreadnoughts can easily look "off" and "disproportionate" -- just because of a misplaced quarter inch here and there. I also think dreads should come with a big and bold rosette, especially when there's no pickguard. Else the guitar looks like it has too large of a waist.

I think Jason's Mod D has some of the most elegant lines in the business. This guitar looks terrific under every angle, which cannot be said of all dreadnoughts.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM

Those guitar photos are fantastic. Great looking guitar, I really like his bridge.

Also love the red chucks and the crib, The exposed beams and big windows are right up my alley. Good taste all around my good man.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I think Jason's Mod D has some of the most elegant lines in the business. This guitar looks terrific under every angle, which cannot be said of all dreadnoughts.
Agreed. This is the first Dread I've owned (and likely the last). One of the questions I'm getting asked a lot is "is it big to hold"? This is especially the case because I don't have a wedge; just couldn't afford it - had to draw the line somewhere. Well, there's no denying its a big guitar but it feels rather easier to me to play than, say, a Lowden O. Both are deep guitars but the fact that the waist is forward on the MD compared to a standard Martin dread means it feels a bit smaller. Also, the cutaway makes it look smaller (and so feel smaller) when you are playing - it's odd but there is "less there" when you look down when playing.

There's no pretending it's the size of an OM though. Nor does it sound like an OM. This is a BIG guitar - the bass response is thunderous and I'm confident it would not suit everyone; the OM is the best compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bords View Post
Also love the red chucks and the crib
Yeah - I know "crib" from "MTV cribs" which I love watching. It seems to me the USA focus is more on how much room you have rather than the number of bedrooms. Over here, people are fixated on the number of bedrooms; Irrespective of the size of the house, a 5-bedroom house trumps a 4-bedroom house every time. Totally illogical - I saw some "3-bed" houses on MTV that were so large you could drive a car around the lounge! You guys have the right idea!

However, "chucks" is a new one on me!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Nice Arc on display there Steve,if you feel the need for an upgrade and you need to lose one of your guitars i can accommodate
Yes - a friend has a pair of Obelisks that I hanker after...

To be honest, playing guitar has been the death of my hi-fi aspirations. I used to listen to music obsessively (especially when younger - had the time then!), but these days I'm far more likely to pick up a guitar instead. Shahinians are absolutely my fave speakers though - some crazy magic happens in Medford NY!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 AM

Default happy

I wish i could look as happy as Jason always seems to be. What a great looking guitar! :0
Old 07-26-2012, 03:35 PM

Great Pics Steve, both the shots at your pad and the pro shots (the guitar looks stunning in those), Many Congratulations on your new instrument, you deserve it!!

Looking forward to the first vid's when you eventually get round to them, and the NAG comparison if that comes off....

My Music

Solway Sunset - Free Album Download
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Man, that is one awesome guitar you have there! Wow! Two thumbs up!

Joel
Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 AM

[QUOTE

Cheers,
Steve[/QUOTE]

I see someone has been reading up about their "Responsive Guitar" by the book set on the floor next to his foot.

Congratulations, Steve.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
However, "chucks" is a new one on me!

Cheers,
Steve
Chucks are de rigeur for the acoustic guitarist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markt View Post
Great Pics Steve, both the shots at your pad and the pro shots (the guitar looks stunning in those), Many Congratulations on your new instrument, you deserve it!!

Looking forward to the first vid's when you eventually get round to them, and the NAG comparison if that comes off....
The session over the weekend was very inspiring and we left buzzing with ideas. We'll take our time to make sure it's not a straight A/B... that's all I'll say for the time being... But it will be very cool!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KolayaGuitars View Post

I see someone has been reading up about their "Responsive Guitar" by the book set on the floor next to his foot.
Very well spotted and bang on the money! The set actually belong to Michael - I asked to borrow them last November and this was an opportunity for michael to get them back.

I'm clearly not a builder but I have fantasized about doing so one day. In any event, I think it's important to understand how these things work etc - I've been doing minor setups on my guitars for years (rod/action adjustment, new nuts, saddles etc that sort of level) and thought it would be useful to hear what Ervin had to say about things (I'd already read the Ciampino book and a few others).

I guess I took two broad things away from reading The Responsive Guitar:

1. Acoustic guitars are not simple. The thing is complex +++ and you're unlikely to get far unless you devote time and energy to thinking about how the things works and why.

2. Pretty much anything you alter on a guitar will have an effect on some other aspect of the guitar. For example, before reading the books, I thought a soundport was a simple matter of cutting a chunk out of the upper bout. I guess it still is but I hadn't appreciated the other effects this might have on the guitar's sound etc. Same goes for just about everything else.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about these books and I don't want to stoke that up here, but I found them very thought-provoking indeed.

It's clear from poking around inside my MD that Jason has taken a lot of Ervin's ideas on board. The bracing is...unusual. When Jason was here I kept threatening to stick an endoscope into the sounhole and have pics of the bracing on the internet by midnight. After all, that's exactly what David Schramm did with his Smallmam (Schramm makes truly excellent Smallman style guitars). This is what a 25k classical looks like from the inside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENImGsolpIw

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by steveh; 08-08-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I have to say, that's the COOLEST end graph and back strip I've EVER seen... Way to put sapwood to use... For real, a work of art... Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop