The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Adobe Audition question re: bouncing

I started with Cool Edit Pro years ago, and I recently updated to Audition. I love it, but there's something going on that I never had a problem with in Cool Edit.

I use a lot of loops. Sometimes I'll take a couple looped tracks of the same length and bounce them to a single track (often, when I'm crossfading them to fix a "clam"). However, the new bounced track is always just a hair longer than either of the two original tracks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's like the tail end of the track is just ever so slightly stretched out. The result is problematic for two reasons:

1. the new track will usually not loop smoothly, there now being an audible click because the beginning and end aren't matched up the way they were intended; and

2. the track will quickly fall out of sync with all the other loops because it is a different length.

I used to do this all the time in Cool Edit, and the bounced track would be an exact replication of the original tracks I was bouncing. I've fiddled with every option and preference I can think of in Audition, but nothing works.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
I started with Cool Edit Pro years ago, and I recently updated to Audition. I love it, but there's something going on that I never had a problem with in Cool Edit.

I use a lot of loops. Sometimes I'll take a couple looped tracks of the same length and bounce them to a single track (often, when I'm crossfading them to fix a "clam"). However, the new bounced track is always just a hair longer than either of the two original tracks, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. It's like the tail end of the track is just ever so slightly stretched out. The result is problematic for two reasons:

1. the new track will usually not loop smoothly, there now being an audible click because the beginning and end aren't matched up the way they were intended; and

2. the track will quickly fall out of sync with all the other loops because it is a different length.

I used to do this all the time in Cool Edit, and the bounced track would be an exact replication of the original tracks I was bouncing. I've fiddled with every option and preference I can think of in Audition, but nothing works.

This shouldn't happen. Do you lock the loops so the can't move in time? If all else fails, uninstall Audition and reinstall it in a different folder than the original. See if that helps.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:

If I understand you correctly and am duplicating your process, I'm having no issue here.

Track 1
Track 2

Edit the two together with a crossfade.

Bounce to new track.

The new track is the same length as the edited track.

I can't offer any suggestion. Tried the Adobe forums?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post

I can't offer any suggestion. Tried the Adobe forums?

Fran
Yep, I've tried everything I can think of. By the way, try zooming way into the new track. It looks the same length at normal view, but when I zoom in enough, I can see the discrepency. It's small, but enough to throw everything off after a a few loops.
I'll try to take some screen shots this evening.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM

I am not sure why you are having this problem, it can't be duplicated here.

If you continue to have difficulties with this, the folks at Audio Masters Forum can be a good resource.

http://www.audiomastersforum.net
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Wow, no clue on this one. I've used AA for years and never experienced anything like that, though admittedly I rarely use loops. ronmac's suggestion re audiomasters is a good one.

This is a long shot, and I don't know much about the phenomenon, but could this be some quantization issue?

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yep, I've tried everything I can think of. By the way, try zooming way into the new track. It looks the same length at normal view, but when I zoom in enough, I can see the discrepency. It's small, but enough to throw everything off after a a few loops.
I'll try to take some screen shots this evening.
I zoomed down to the sample level. No difference in length. Please include as much detail as possible in describing and illustrating your process.

Do you have snapping on? Which styles of snapping? What version of AA?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I was out of town this weekend so I couldn't follow up until now.
Here are some screen shots of what I'm talking about:

To anticipate some questions, the two tracks being bounced were perfectly lined up, beginning and end, and were never moved. All types of snapping are enabled. Also, I have messed with every option in the preferences that I even remotely thought could affect things.
Note, by the way, that the bounced track is not just a combiantion of the first two plus a little bit of space. It seems to have actually stretched the wav form out. To clarify, the top of the two source tracks ("shakes") is completely silent at the end, so the end of the bounced track should look identical to the end of the second source track ("bass").

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD