The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-02-2002, 02:00 AM

Default NS-72 BC

Just played played one today, trying to think how it would compare to the NS I already have ... then I realized it had an Engelmann top (I generally don't look at the wood carefully before I play a guitar ... but after I've made at least some assessments in my mind, I carefully look the guitar over).

Surprisingly, I did not hear a great difference between it and a NS-72 (Indian Rosewood/Cedar) I played ... as I thought there would be since I heard quite a bit of difference between the two Brazilian NS at NAMM as well as between the NS-72 and the Brazilian/Engelmann ... with me having a preference of the Engelmann top guitar each time.

I won't be trying to compare this guitar with the one I already have since they are the same combination of woods and I didn't hear a real difference between the NS-72 BC and the NS-72 (which I have compared with my NS a few months ago). Besides, I really don't like the D'Addario strings, so it would be an unfair test as I've since changed to Savarez strings ... I think they make a world of difference.

Has anyone else played one or gotten one yet? Are they all coming with Engelmann tops or are some Cedar? I was expecting Cedar to be standard as it was an NS-72, so I was a little surprised when I realized it was Engelmann.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:10 AM

Oh, other things I noticed ... it looks like Taylor's still using the single-hole stringing system ... wonder when we'll see the doubles again.

And now the NS has it's own special label ... looks nice ... well, I like it, anyway ... though I've never bought a guitar because of the label inside of it ...
Old 06-02-2002, 10:01 AM

We played the 72 and 42 that one store had. Can't remember which top it had, though. Surprisingly the 42 sounded much nicer, richer, and alive. Maybe that 72 was a dud.
I've played a couple of the 32's and the first one was awful -- very plasticy sounding. The second one was much nicer.
Maybe they're still getting used to making the different body.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:05 AM

played a 72 and 32 recently. Both had the double hole system and it sounded great.

Go SPURS Go
Old 06-04-2002, 11:05 PM

So ... has anyone played an NS-72 BC? I'm still interested to find out if some were made with cedar tops.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:27 PM

Default good point

Buddiesorg hit on something extremely important with nylon instruments, ie string quality, even way more so than steel string instruments. If I am serious about an instrument I make a deal with the salesman, put some new wires on, if I buy the guitar you made a sale for the cost of the strings, if not I will split the cost of the strings which means they cost the store nothing. Only one time on a 655 did the salesman refuse, probably cost them a sale. Sent the store owner a note relaying the refusal, he had a SPASM. Offered to come in any time day or night at my convenience and put strings on anything I wanted to look at. You know, it just occured to me we should come up with a "Guide for guitar salesman". In fact, I am going to post that thread. Anyway, good strings ONLY can define the sound of a nylon.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:51 AM

buddiesorg --
you're gonna hafta wait until Taylor actually makes and ships out these lovelies before anybody answers. You got the lucky brazilian head start. I paid for mine months ago and still no word. Recently called the store and I think they won't be getting any more of my business. They had an attitude of "don't call us, we'll call you when it's in." I've only called a couple of times over the last 3.5 months. I don't think I'm hounding them. They just never have any ETA and it's killing me!
Old 06-06-2002, 07:42 AM

Well, Trombone, the good news is they're starting to ship them NOW as I've seen one. Did you specify cedar or Engelmann or choice of preamp (this one had just a Matrix)?

Hope you get yours soon.

And when you do, I suggest you trying the Savarez strings ... actually, I think I'm trying the ones that start with "A" next ... I think they're "Augustino" or something like that. I feel like an uneducated person when it comes to good classical strings. With my Yamaha classical, I just stuck any set of strings that were the cheapest or came free with some deal.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:29 AM

FWIW I've played two 32 models, two 62 models, 72 and one 42. One of the 32s and one of the 62s were AWFUL. The first nylon string I played was that bad 62 and it really soured me on the whole line. That guitar sounded like it was made of tupperware!

The second 32 and 62 I played were okay, but nothing spectacular. They were a HUGE improvement over the other examples I played.

The 72 was very, very nice (cedar top). It had very warm tone, and wonderful bottom end, but it wasn't as balanced as I like. Maybe different strings would have made the difference. The mids and bass were great, but the upper register was a bit lacking.

The 42 I played (just this past week) was breath taking. Very balanced, very loud, vastly superior to any other Taylor nylon string I've played. If it didn't have that **** hole in the side I probably would have bought it, but I'm not buying another guitar with a big hole in the tone wood.

I've enterteined the notion of getting a nylon string at Taylorstock. It's doubtful, but possible.

David
Old 06-06-2002, 08:19 PM

buddiesorg --
Thanks! I hope it arrives soon, too.
I specified no hole electronics and cedar top. Let's see if that's what the store actually ordered. I will certainly let you know when it arrives. Oh, the anxiety!
Old 06-06-2002, 09:59 PM

Well, Trombone, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I hope I get to play a cedar top one ... the Engelmann top NS-72 BC just didn't capture my interest. I kind of wonder why since it was the Engelmann top GC Special that I liked most at NAMM ... maybe I just got an exceptional GC Special ...
Old 06-07-2002, 02:38 PM

I'm new here...what is "Taylorstock"?
Old 06-08-2002, 07:30 PM

buddiesorg---
I just got back from my favorite Taylor dealer. They had the 62, and 72. The 72 had a Cedar top. I loved 'em both. The rosewood/cedar was louder, and had more bottom end, but the Maple/spruce had a more balanced, sweeter sound to it. Never played a nylon string guitar I liked, until now. I WILL be buying one of these, I just don't know which. I guess I'll have to spend some more time with both........
Old 06-08-2002, 09:11 PM

I played a 72BC the other day. Very nice looking guitar. Very expensive compared to the other nylons. I'd like to have walked out with it, but I'm afraid the deal (or NOT) they wanted to cut didn't get my business..

Nice guitar though... Too bad there's only 50 of them.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:58 PM

UPDATE:

YIPPIE!!
It arrived!
Whhoooooo hooooooo .......!
I am very pleased.
Surprised to open the case and it had the Engelmann top. That's ok because it sounds nice. Has electronics but no hole in the side. Decent brazilian. Not "A" in my opinion, but quite nice B. Top is really nice.
I am exstatic over the two nylons we are blessed to own -- first the maple, now this one.

I am a happy camper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification