The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Fender Strat

I went out yesterday and picked up a Fender Strat to add to my collection.........made in mexico........although I am told that it mainly is just painted there but cant know if thats true or not.
Anyway, she cost me 450.....is that a fair price?

Now whats going to be the best yet least expensive amp I can get that will give me good sound and span the spectrum from clear and clean to heavy distortion, depending on my mood on a given day?

Any suggestions here?

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 04-30-2002, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm watching this thread too.
Just picked up a Jay Turser strat and am looking for the same thing, an inexpensive amp that will give lots of sound variety.
I'm sure someone here will have some good suggestions.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:14 AM

If its the 'Standard Strat', Musician's Friend has them listed fot $349.99 + $99.99 for the case (did your's come w/case?). The quality of the MIM Strats has really gon up in recent years. I think that they are a very good buy!

AFA the amp suggestions, one of the cheaper modeling amps like the Line 6 Spider (starts a under $400) has a wide variety of amp styles and sounds. Might be what you're looking for.

James
Old 04-30-2002, 11:54 AM

yep

came with a fender case to, so I guess I didnt get ripped off.
Thats a good thing.

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 05-01-2002, 04:35 AM

I have been playing a stratocaster for a long time. I have had my 66' for 25 years now.
And the (newer) MIM products seem to be of good construction and materials for the price range.
If you’re going to gig the hot rod deluxe is pretty nice3 channel with great clean sounds and good overdrive. But, way too loud for bedroom playing. If you want something lower in volume try out a champ.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:44 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Acoustics,

I bought a Made in Mexico Strat about 3 months ago - paid $350 (not including case) so your deal was reasonable.

I love the guitar. I think the quality is excellent.

I would recommend the Fender Blues Jnr amp. Small (ish), inexpensive yet puts out a good sound.

Have
fun.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:19 AM

Thumbs up

Most, if not all, of the parts on the MIM guitars are made in Corona, California. The parts are then shipped to Ensensada, Mexico, where the guitars are finishged and assembled.

Because parts go south and guitars come north, by law, they have to say "Made In Mexico" on them.

The quality of the Fender MIM guitars is great, considering the price point. I know more than a few players who use MIM Strats as their main gig guitars...

Steve
Old 05-08-2002, 04:00 PM

I'll have to agree on all the amp opinions. try the different ones out they all have different sounds

Go SPURS Go
Old 05-08-2002, 07:11 PM

Agree, the quality has gone way up.
If you play these blindfolded....nah.

But they are a good guitar for the $

http://www.fretland.com
Old 05-20-2002, 10:25 AM

I have been looking for a new guitar, looks like a Taylor will be out of the question this year, but have been looking at either a Mexican made Strat or Telecaster. I have an Alverez Strat copy that I don't care for and will want to trade it. I sort of prefer the Telecaster over the Srat but I do like the looks of some of the MIM vintage 50s and 60s Strats. Any thoughts or your experience, thanks.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:08 PM

I'll second the Blues Jr. Great little amp.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:42 AM

I'll throw in another recommendation for the Hot Rod Deluxe. It's got a nice tube sound at a good price. Plus you can experiment with different tubes/speakers to modify the sound as you see fit. If you'd like more amp info check out the www.fenderforum.com forums. A lot of good Fender discussion there.

Just a heads up about the amp-it is loud! You probably won't get it above 1 or 2 for bedroom playing, but if you're playing out it might be nice to have the power.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:12 PM

Amp selection is very difficult based on your post. What types of music do you play? What do you consider "heavy distortion?" How much do you want to spend? Do you expect to play out or jam with others?

JMintzer's recommendation for a Line 6 Spyder is a good one because it's very versatile, but if you're going to play out or jam with other you might find that a 2X10 or 2X12 Spyder is what you need (minimum of 60 SS watts as well).

I'm more of a tube guy myself (I own 9 Tube amps), but it really depends on your needs both today and in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification