The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-28-2019, 03:50 PM

I'm 67 and feeling more and more pain in my hands every year.
I also wonder how long I will be able to enjoy playing guitar.
I will try smaller guitars with light gauge strings and see how much that helps.

I agree that there will be a lot of guitars on the used market.
In fact, just take a look at Reverb right now.
You can see almost any guitar that you would want fro sale there and quite often, several of the same model.

It will be interesting to see who will fill our shoes.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

While you might not play as you once did, you still have the knowledge, experience and wisdom you always had.

If you could not use hands at all you would still be one of my favorite YouTube channels. You have much to share about music, gear, and helping those coming behind you on the path.

Please don't stop. Slowing down, shifting focus, doing what YOU enjoy, that is part of the process.

Please don't stop making YouTube videos. Even if all you do is go over sheet music and explain it to some no talent hack like me, you have much to give.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:47 AM

I'm also at that age. I have alot of nice stuff, both guitars and fly fishing equipment. I have been debating thinning both of those herds since my only son isn't interested in pursuing either of my hobbies.

For what it's worth, I've currently at this point of view (at least for today). In the bigger scheme of things, selling my stuff is not going to make a significant difference financially to my family or myself. I could probably generate 20 -30K, but what am I going to spend it on? That's the point of selling in the first place since I can't participate in my hobbies that I loved as a younger man.

If I don't sell, what happens to my stuff after I'm gone probably is a moot point. Either it's the total end of my spirit in which case I won't know or care what happens to my stuff - or - I'll be in heaven in which case I'll be totally content - or - I'll be in hell in which case the disposition of my stuff is the least of my worries.

At least for me, the only thing that makes sense, if there is someone special that I would like to see have something of mine, I should give it away so I can see the special person use and enjoy something from me. Otherwise, don't worry about it. If I decide to sell of dispose of something in the future, that option will still be there.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:15 AM

I’ve been looking at getting a solid body electric, setting the action low, using extra light strings, and practicing on it a certain amount just to make my hands last a little longer going forward. My main inspiration for this is an incredible player named Mark Leggett, who gets a wonderful melodic sound out of his electric:

https://youtu.be/nEj1_0VOigE
Old 04-30-2019, 04:59 AM

So many great replies.

I turn 50 this year, so I have JUST STARTED dealing with this "aging" thing (well, my hair left me long ago, but that's another story). I can feel arthritis perhaps making itself known for the first time.

All I wanted to add (because everything has been said), is: JOY.

Without joy, there is no life. Trying to imagine myself in your situation, I can't imagine hanging it up. Going down to one guitar, playing only at home, and only for short bursts... yes. But not quitting altogether. Unless of course you are not physically able to play. If I reach that point someday, and I am not able to play ANYTHING (not even a simply native American flute for example, another instrument I love), I would become a more avid LISTENER to music (more avid than I already am). Because.. I can't give it up or "move on."

I made that mistake once- actually wrote a letter to myself entitled "I don't need music to save my life", after finally realizing all my dreams of being a professional musician were not going to happen, for various reasons. I hung it up for about 8-10 years. Turned into an avid mountain biker, runner, backpacker. Enjoyed all of that immensely. But.... I was wrong.

I DID need music to save my life. I don't know who I am without it. Even if I can't play it (someday), I can still read about it, watch it, and listen to it, and revel in the joy that the magic of music brings to me.

I'd keep one guitar. Even if I could only pick it up for 20 minutes a day. Heck, that's no different than the 20 minutes it takes me to do my daily Qi Gong, or Tai Chi, or my stretching routine, or the 20 minutes it takes me to drink my daily 1st cup of coffee, or the 20-minute walks with the dog, or the 30 minutes I read before bed every night..... all of which brings me joy. If you can still get 20 minutes of joy a day out of it, DO IT. Because joy is what life, the universe, and everything- is all about.

Good luck to you, and God bless.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 04-30-2019, 05:18 AM

Don't give up! I once befriended a widow in Woodstock whose husband, a professional artist, was diagnosed with ALS on their wedding day. She didn't back out, and for two years, she was his caretaker.
She told me that her husband never complained and never lost his sense of humor. He continued to make and sell paintings and died with a paintbrush in his mouth as he had lost use of his fingers long before.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 AM

20 yrs ago I was playing blues festivals and those seasoned players were all in there 70's and 80's. They all used light guitars, light gauge strings, and carried no amps(there are light weight amps now). I'm planning on the same with acoustic and electric. My Taylor 414 weighs 4 lbs. and has 10's installed on it.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:02 AM

My friend Gordon was a mountain climber. After an horrific fall he ended up in a wheelchair without the use of any of his limbs. Gordon had to blow through a straw to operate his chair, computer and camera as another passion of his was photography, which he was brilliant at!

First and foremost Gordon was a musician. He was a great guitar, banjo and mandolin player.

Gordon had an amazing collection of instruments (most purchased after his accident) and continued buying guitars that took his eye, right up until the time of his recent death. His wake was amazing. All his friends singing and playing his collection.

Gordon had lots of musician friends and they were always visiting and playing his guitars for his pleasure.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is there is never a reason to give up your passion only excuses. Physically playing an instrument is only part of the enjoyment. Humans have a great ability to adapt to any situation. Those who don't, just give up...
Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 AM

A couple of years ago I had blinding flashes of pain in my temple area while playing the trumpet in church. They came and went for the next day and I finally went to the ER. After many hours and a few tests the good news was no brain tumor, and the bad news was they had no idea what I had.

A few doctors and tests later it was diagnosed as pressure induced migraines. I didn't play for a year and a half. I was a trumpet major in college and played it for hours virtually every day for 55 years up to that point. There were days, honestly, when it was nice to be relieved of the obligation to practice (it's not like the guitar - it doesn't forgive missed days). I had the guitar, flute and piano, so it wasn't like I was giving up making music. But every time Jerusalem My Destiny came up in the song order in church I was fighting back the tears trying to make that impact on the flute. I did some research to find out what my 5 trumpets were worth, but never followed through on the sale.

Then my band director daughter asked me to play in her elementary concert with her kids. I didn't know if I could make a sound on it, but I knew there wouldn't be enough pressure to cause migraines with elementary music. I got it out and still sounded like me! I played and then found a possible solution in one of my trumpet books to reduce pressure. I've been playing ever since that discovery (although my wife made me promise: no high notes).

The point of this long tale is that it's very hard to predict the future. You don't really know what you'll be able to do. Maybe you'll need a long break after every 10 minutes of playing. Maybe you'll need lighter strings. Maybe you'll need to consider a more electric acoustic. Some or all of these things might have you turning up your nose right now, but you may well find - as I did - that it's more fun to make music with some accommodations than to give up all together.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 AM

If you can still sing, I suggest karaoke. When I went thru, and still going thru, several shoulder surgeries, I couldn't even hold a guitar, and when I did, I had nerves getting pinched that disabled my right arm completely. So I went to a karaoke gig one nite and after listening to a few, I found that amongst the drunk singers, there were quite a few exceptional singers. They were people who used to be in a band, that got tired of the drama and bs, and they do karaoke for fun. A couple of them had won $500 prizes for first place in karaoke competitions.

So I sang a few of my favorite songs, that the band I used to be in would never play, or couldn't play. The sound system was so good that if I closed my eyes, I thought there was a full band backing me up. And recently I saw a couple singer/solo musicians using karaoke backup for their performance. One guy did a regular gig singing a lot of the oldies and he just runs his own karaoke show, but he is the only singer!

Give it a try, you will be surprised at all the good singers out there in karaoke land! And when you count up all the great singers, who do not play an instrument, you will begin to appreciate your own voice as your one and only last instrument...use it as long as you can.

Last edited by Timotao; 04-30-2019 at 06:53 AM. Reason: edit
Old 04-30-2019, 07:50 AM

I agree with most, if not all, the comments and sentiments herein. However, I will add, for me, guitars are simply items/things I own. They are not loved or beloved. Like driving, the aging process dictates that as we age, there are limitations that befall us outside of our control. Some have to give up sports, driving, SCUBA diving, cycling, running, performing...... I find that by keeping life, family, friends... in perspective, it's easier to rid oneself of "things" (including guitars) when the time comes time to down-size or even when un-cluttering one's life. The beauty is, unless one needs the space or money, you never "have" to sell them unless you want to. For anyone considering a move to retirement living or even assisted living, down-sizing is mandatory. As we get closer to either of those where we are nearing having to move from our current residence to a much smaller controlled existence, I've seen people who do it on their terms, over months or years, happier in the end over those who wait until a catastrophic event requires them to immediately down size and move within days or weeks. Many find ridding themselves of the vestiges of their earlier lives very freeing. Others hold on until required by circumstance to change. Every one has to decide for themselves when it's time to hold 'em or fold 'em as Mr. K Rogers said. You too will know when it's time.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 AM

All I can offer is prayers. Meant sincerely.

I often wonder what I'd do, if I couldn't play anymore, for whatever reason. I have some years before I hit 70, let alone 72. But it's on my mind, as my kids get older. I do agree w/DenverSteve - to me, my guitars are just "things". Makes parting with the one's I've parted with, less emotional.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 04-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I’m sorry that you’re struggling. I can’t offer help through personal experience. But I can offer some encouragement. Your YouTube channel appears to be touching more people daily than perhaps even your live performances. Don’t give up. Maybe you don’t need all the guitars. But, you’ve still got the talent and passion. Find the right way to put it to use. And, play in smaller doses. I’ve got players in my club who suffer the same maladies. They still attend and participate. They don’t play every song. But they feel the music nonetheless.
I'm sorry that you are having a rough time but I will echo these sentiments. I love your Your Tube videos and am a subscriber there (I've made a comment or two, as you know). I'm a few years younger than you but I doubt I could make it through a two hour rehearsal! I think figuring out what you CAN do with your playing/singing is a good approach.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM

Andy, you inspire me. Your threads here on AGF and your videos have provided so much entertainment for me and others here. I'm 66 with some arthritis in my thumb joints making my grip a constant issue for me. I've been through both frozen shoulders and various trigger finger issues but nothing like you are experiencing now. The only reason I've kept my collection down is so my wife and daughter don't have to deal with selling off my stuff when I'm gone. Hopefully not for another 20 or 30 years. I've got my little 12 fret parlor with a cutaway in preparation for my later years. And I've got my D-18 until I can't play it any longer. I recently sold my pedal steel but still have my lap dobro. It's good to do some planning now so your loved ones don't have to when the time comes. But give up? NEVER! Keep playing through the pain and learn to accept the things you can no longer do but concentrate on what you still can do. And keep making great music.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 AM

SM, I am exactly your age and I have twice very narrowly dodged medical bullets that almost put me in the ground. So I think there are two sets of advice I have for you. The first is that there are many functional things you might try, lighter strings, short scale, sold body electrics, whatever, but more important is the realization that at our vintage we have only so many years before the dark curtain descends, and so it is important that we do whatever we can to enjoy that time we have, and if physical limitations force limitations on our activities, then you must seek alternatives that continue to give you joy.

Playing the guitar and singing are a major source of mental health to me, so I suffer when one thing or another limits that, but with your talent and imagination, you will find many alternative approaches to music, or alternative activities that will feed your soul going forward as long as you don’t let the inevitable process of aging defeat you (no small job of work, that). We are limited vessels and there is only so much we can do when we hit the wall of our own limitations, but on the other hand (as people with much more severe limitations often show us) we are almost limitless in the capacity of our imagination and problem solving. If I were you I would hold onto at least one of those guitars (the easiest one to play) and look towards those things which can give you joy in one way or another and seek them with the same energy that you pursued music. However difficult the diminishments of age can be, it is way better than being dead (which after all is the next stop of the train).

And what do you use to keep your mustache in such magnificent form? Wax? Styling gel? Will power? Inquiring minds want to know.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion