The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2018, 08:25 PM

Default The beauty of SL Mossman guitars

For years I've been lurking in the rain forest reading agf threads about Mossman guitars. I finally decided, wth, I'm posting one of my own. Stu deserves another one.

I've collected acoustic guitars for many years. Many Martin's have come and gone. A few years ago I stumbled on Mossman guitars and then read the story or what I call the Mossman lore. The early days, taking on Martin and Gibson, the build quality, the fire, the last special few made, etc.... and of course the man that was Stuart Mossman. When you own a Mossman guitar, it's more than a special instrument.

I've been lucky enough over the years to collect three. A Winter Wheat and two Great Plains including a '73 Brazilian. I picked it up in very poor, unplayable condition but with good bones. I sent the guitar to Steve Mason for a rebuild. He had it for about a year. I like to think he just liked having it around but am afraid it was probably due to the work needed. Steve repaired the neck, new bridge, nut, bracing work, etc. Great luthier and stories. I suggested to him at the time, he should write a book. I've posted pics of the guitar (see post #13 below), mostly for the sake of the Brazilian. The back of the guitar is a Martin. I'm not smart enough to know these things but Steve is. Thank goodness.

Thanks for looking. If you own a Mossman, you are blessed, I know I am. I encourage any Mossman owners to pillage my thread and post pics of their Mossman's.

TS

Last edited by Tube Sound; 03-31-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 PM

My first really good guitar was a Mossman Tennessee Flat top. Wish I still had it.

My favorite bit of Mossman lore is that Stuart Mossman is the only guitar builder to have a speaking role in a major Hollywood movie.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:42 PM

Tube Sound, my first professional quality guitar was a Mossman. I gigged with that guitar throughout the Midwest, then over in Scandinavia, and when I played my initial tours of Alaska, South Korea and Japan. It was a terrific workhorse guitar. I wish I still had it.

I do still have the Baxendale Mossman 000-42 Scott Baxendale built for me in 1988 when he still owned the Mossman brand name. The top is braced like a pre-war Martin but the back has the six back braces of the Mossman design. It's a great guitar.

By the way, the photos didn't show up. I understand Imgur is a better platform for that these days.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Mossman has been on my radar for a long, long time. Maybe one day...
Old 03-30-2018, 09:06 PM

For a guitar that was unplayable, it looks pretty darn good.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

I’ve only ever played one—sometime around 76. It was a pleasure. Yours looks beautiful.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-30-2018, 11:01 PM

What model is in your pictures? I have one exactly like it but there is no model name on the label and I've always been confused which model it was. I was thinking a souped up Great Plains but can't be sure.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:50 AM

Its a shame you'll have to sell it to pay Photobucket hosting fees.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:10 AM

I was looking for my first quality Acoustic guitar back in '77. I thought I wanted a Martin D28 or D35. A lawyer at work who had gone to school in Winfield, Kansas told me about a guy he knew back there who built killer guitars. Long story short I bought a new Great Plains. It's still in pristine condition. I play it often but only at home, and it is housed in it's original case. After 40 years it just sounds better and better, plays like warm butter, and never needed a neck reset. I just tweaked the truss rod once in all that time.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:26 AM

Default Mossman

They're cool guitars with an interesting story. Scott gave me a CD with the Mossman story. If I can find it on line I'll provide a link.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-31-2018, 08:42 AM

Can't see the pictures...wish I could.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 AM

Thank you all for the stories and comments. The pics..... my first experience with photobucket and probably my last. Did not read the fine print. Any ideas on how to repost the pics would be appreciated. They are on my pc. Kind regards.

TS
Old 03-31-2018, 10:31 AM

With any luck, images with imgur.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:32 AM

Now I see the pics. Beautiful!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-31-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
What model is in your pictures? I have one exactly like it but there is no model name on the label and I've always been confused which model it was. I was thinking a souped up Great Plains but can't be sure.
Mine is the same, no model name. Label says No. 73-268. Made in 1973 and number 268. From memory, the early Great Plains were two piece back and perhaps with Martin back strip, like mine. My later GP (1976?) is a three piece back like a D-35 and not Brazilian. Post some pics of yours. Is yours Brazilian? Cheers.

TS

Last edited by Tube Sound; 03-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion