The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2015, 04:04 PM

You can't go wrong with the brands mentioned. When I was looking for an indestructible case a couple years back, Jon Green hadn't rescued Calton yet so I had to decide between Karura or Hoffee. Originally, I was leaning towards Karura but then I thought on the remote chance the fit wasn't perfect, it would be a hassle to ship back internationally. Supporting Hoffee, a US based company was a bonus. That's the logic I used and I suspect that I would have been happy with either. Since that time, I ordered another Hoffee and am extremely happy with the case.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofC07 View Post
So, I just pulled the trigger on a Calton Case. Did a lot of research and spoke to Jeff Hoffee (who was wonderfully accommodating). I also spoke with Keith Calton and Jon Green (of Calton-Austin) and all things considered, I was secure with the protection the Calton offered.

The Hoffee is an amazing case, and a lot of options (thinsulate insulation) are desirable options, but the overall size and aesthetics won out for me with the Calton.

Thanks, All.
what color combo did you go for.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:17 PM

I went with a White Exterior, Black Interior. Also had my name engraved on the nameplate for a small charge. While I reside in Boston, I spend a good deal of time in Charleston, SC in the summers--which can be oppresively hot and bad for guitars. I thought the white shell would help.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
You can't go wrong with the brands mentioned. When I was looking for an indestructible case a couple years back, Jon Green hadn't rescued Calton yet so I had to decide between Karura or Hoffee. Originally, I was leaning towards Karura but then I thought on the remote chance the fit wasn't perfect, it would be a hassle to ship back internationally. Supporting Hoffee, a US based company was a bonus. That's the logic I used and I suspect that I would have been happy with either. Since that time, I ordered another Hoffee and am extremely happy with the case.

Your Pollock case is beautiful! Jeff did an amazing job with your case. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I went with a White Exterior, Black Interior. Also had my name engraved on the nameplate for a small charge. While I reside in Boston, I spend a good deal of time in Charleston, SC in the summers--which can be oppresively hot and bad for guitars. I thought the white shell would help.
I have my name on mine

Old 03-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Humanist

I love the brightly-colored/multi-colored cases...can you imagine someone trying to run off with your guitar at an airport and you hear through the overhead, "please stop the guy with the clown-barf colored guitar case...it is being stolen"...?
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-23-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I love the brightly-colored/multi-colored cases...can you imagine someone trying to run off with your guitar at an airport and you hear through the overhead, "please stop the guy with the clown-barf colored guitar case...it is being stolen"...?
you should see my case color LOL
Old 03-23-2015, 01:41 PM

Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM

While talking cases lets not forget the HISCOX range.

I own one that came with my Lakewood and am about to get a second one with my H&D.

These cases are really light for travelling but don't be fooled by this, they are nearly indestructible and will protect your guitar through most situations. Even American Airlines would have trouble damaging a guitar in these cases...

The best thing is the reasonable cost of these cases.

Her's a link to a video on how they are made and their benefits over other designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs

I beleive they have a number of dealers in most countries

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:34 AM

I world like to name Bam cases as one of the lightest, hard and les expensive you can find with the best quality. I bought one and is the best to carry in your car or from one gig to another, really nice.

I would like to know if someone has an experience with Jurassic cases, they look really good too.

Carlton for me !
Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
you should see my case color LOL
I had a few cases that were "taxi cab yellow".

No way to get lost in the crowd...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
I had a few cases that were "taxi cab yellow".

No way to get lost in the crowd...
all my friends think im crazy for not showing that i have a carbon fiber case, I told them should i walk around with a bag of diamonds with a sign on my back saying i cant fight and i have 8 million in diamonds in my front pocket,

Taxi Cab Yellow is beautiful.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
So, I just pulled the trigger on a Calton Case. Did a lot of research and spoke to Jeff Hoffee (who was wonderfully accommodating). I also spoke with Keith Calton and Jon Green (of Calton-Austin) and all things considered, I was secure with the protection the Calton offered.

The Hoffee is an amazing case, and a lot of options (thinsulate insulation) are desirable options, but the overall size and aesthetics won out for me with the Calton.

Thanks, All.
did you get a custom fit
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...ate+-+form.pdf
Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post

Must have left the the guitar case mould under the bench while a few other gelcoat jobs were going on.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 05-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Cool thread. In the not-too-distant future I will be buying an expensive mandolin. Do both of these companies made good mando cases also?

CL
did you get a mando and case? love to see them if you have, here's my Collings mando with it's Calton Case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
calton cases, hoffee cases