The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Default Hawaiian or US made Ukuleles- whats available?

Hello all,
I've been getting interested in the Ukulele again. i had a Fluke Flea model years ago and really enjoyed it, but am now looking to see whats available in a little bit higher end ukes (ie with all solid wood construction and OK intonation).

I've done a little looking but am unaware of who else besides Kamaka makes real Hawaiian (or US) made Ukes. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a uke but I also refuse to buy one of the Asian imports.

So, whats out there for $600 and under in solid wood Hawaiian or US made ukuleles?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Kiwaya. KTS-5, KTS-4. Don't look back, just get it. Rivals Martin. Seriously rivals Martin.

Edit: Sorry, not Hawaiian or American, it's made in Japan.

In your price range maybe a Kamaka or Ko'Aloha. Too bad, not sure though if Japan is on your blacklist.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 AM

From Hawaii:

Kamaka, KoAloha, Kanilea, Koolau and many custom builders (Mya Moe, Moore Bettah, Devine and others).

There are many custom/semi custom builders in the US. A few that I can think of:

LoPrinzi, Rick Turner (Compass Rose), Hive Ukuleles, Pete Hurney (Pohaku), Mike Pereira, DaSilva

I'm sure that there are many others that I don't know about, but these are a few that I could think of off the top of my head.

Edit: Just reread and noticed your price requirement...most of the above will be above your limit. Depending on the size you're looking for, you could probable find used for under your budget. If you're looking for new, the only one that I think you might find under $600 would be the LoPrinzi. Their Model A tenors come in right around that price. They are very nice handmade ukes, but I find the neck profile a little thinner than I like. I'm actually selling the one I have due to this reason.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:55 AM

Here's a soprano Kamaka on eBay for $600.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:57 PM

What i get a kick out of , are the people who think their going to go to Hawaii to pick up a real hawiian made uke on the cheap , or in a flea market -maybe back in the 1930's you could !.
Its alot like the folks who think their travels to Spain are going to get them a first rate Classical guitar for a few hundred .
Thirty years ago -the real mc coys were in flea markets -on the cheap- maybe 30 or 40 dollars ( I bought a nice soprano back then for 5 dollars )
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 AM

Have you looked at the Ukulele Underground for sale items? You might find something to your liking there plus there is plenty of chatter about all things ukulele. Another good site to visit.

I bought a Uke from "Covered Bridge" ukes off that site about two years ago. I've been very happy with it. They sell for just under what you are wanting to spend. They are two brothers that build up in Oregon.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

I did some deeper looking and found a brand called Keli'i. They are all made in Hawaii and their all koa soprano runs $379. I knew there had to be SOMEONE who made more affordable ukes. What I don't get is how so many of these things cost as much or more than a really decent acoustic guitar! Really, what are you paying for on such a tiny instrument at $2500!?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM

Are you sure about that?

I don't know how important "Made in the USA" really is to you, I just found a recent article from a very reputable and respected uke seller, and he is no longer carrying Keli'i because they are no longer made in Hawaii.

Apparently they have their bodies and necks built in China, and complete them in Hawaii. And since over 50% of the labor cost is in Hawaii (completing the build, I assume), they can legally claim that they're made in Hawaii.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, and there are some positive reviews about the ukes themselves.

However, your post makes it seem like "Made in the USA" is important to you, so I thought you'd be interested in this. Maybe it's good enough that the final assembly is done in Hawaii.

It's just very difficult to keep prices that low with US labor.

By the way, I just searched "Keli'i ukulele" and the article was pretty close to the top. The title gives it away.

Jason
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchimneys View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I did some deeper looking and found a brand called Keli'i. They are all made in Hawaii and their all koa soprano runs $379. I knew there had to be SOMEONE who made more affordable ukes. What I don't get is how so many of these things cost as much or more than a really decent acoustic guitar! Really, what are you paying for on such a tiny instrument at $2500!?
As said above, Made in China. Assembled and set up in Hawaii.

If you are not a uke enthusiast, and don't know a lot about construction and costs, I can understand your wondering about the 2500 on "such a tiny instrument". It really is the same as guitar, the level of appointments, the skill and reputation of the builder, etc. I have a few customs that were much less than 2500, Martin has re-introduced their line of Nazareth made ukes, Style-2 at a street price of under 1K. One can find a great LoPrizi uke, made in Florida for well under a grand. David Newton Guitars in Texas will build you a great uke from 500 on up, and there are many other competent little-known builders, as well as the highly regarded, more known builders.

You truly DO get what you pay for, some uke players need a superbly performing uke, and they are out there, whether Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, or American.

You can always opt to go used for a great American uke as well, Favilla, around 175, '30s-'60s Martin Style-0 300-500, '20s-'30s Gibson Uke-1 or 2 for the same ballpark.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
What i get a kick out of , are the people who think their going to go to Hawaii to pick up a real hawiian made uke on the cheap , or in a flea market -maybe back in the 1930's you could !.
Its alot like the folks who think their travels to Spain are going to get them a first rate Classical guitar for a few hundred .
Thirty years ago -the real mc coys were in flea markets -on the cheap- maybe 30 or 40 dollars ( I bought a nice soprano back then for 5 dollars )
Actually, you totally could find a very good instrument for far less the market price - if you know where to look. I found a great all-solid koa concert from a local luthier in Oahu for less than $200. It was by no means a Kamaka (which I also have) but certainly has its own character and distinct sound. This was a couple years ago.

To your point, most people do end up either dissapointed or spending EVEN MORE for a "genuine Hawaiian uke".

To the OP, your answer is Mainland Ukes.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM

If it were me, I would save the time and frustration and get a K brand up front.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 01-24-2013, 08:29 PM

It's a uke, those are toys. Just get a cheap purple Mahalo and be done with it. 30 bucks and there you go.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM

As others have pointed out, a handcrafted ukulele built by a well known luthier is no different than a guitar. I recently took delivery of a wonderful "hornet" shaped tenor uke built by Jake Maclay at Hive Ukuleles. You can take a look at his work at:

www.hiveukuleles.com

My tenor is highly figured hog sides/back with an Adi soundboard. It's strung in low g and is by far the best sounding uke I have ever played. The waiting list for a custom uke is similar to a guitar. I think mine was about 11 months from start to finish.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the build photos:

http://photobucket.com/hiveukulele

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited by markallen; 01-25-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Spend some time browsing here...

http://www.theukulelesite.com/?SID=j...2dledbtedt7tn5
Old 01-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
Actually, you totally could find a very good instrument for far less the market price - if you know where to look. I found a great all-solid koa concert from a local luthier in Oahu for less than $200. It was by no means a Kamaka (which I also have) but certainly has its own character and distinct sound. This was a couple years ago.

To your point, most people do end up either dissapointed or spending EVEN MORE for a "genuine Hawaiian uke".

To the OP, your answer is Mainland Ukes.
I assume you're talking about Nice. If so, there has been a lot of discussion that the ukes were actually made in PI and finished on Oahu by Edmund (similar in a way to Keli'i). People that pressed him had him admit it. I'm not sure if that has changed, but I doubt it...

Considering a nice set of Koa in uke size will run you ~$70-90 plus everything else you need for a build (neck, fretboard, bridge, fretting material, tentalones/kerfing, bracing material, finishing material, and 20+ hour build time - which is a pretty low build time in my experience as a luthier), if you are paying under $200, I'd be skeptical it was made by any luthier or in the U.S. That is basically a give-away-free price. Even the relatively young luthiers I know here on Oahu begin charging at $300 for wood combinations that are much cheaper than Koa and they were eating money on each uke. After the first couple ukes were built, prices increased. I guess my point is buyer beware.

If you are willing to be around $600, you can find relatively inexperienced luthiers that would build something nice (in most cases) for you.

And I totally agree... Spend some time on theukulelesite (formally Hawaii Music Supply) and get a feel for what's out there and the pricing.

remy26 - Just to clarify, Mya Moe ukes are not built in Hawaii. They are build in WA.

Last edited by haolebrownie; 01-25-2013 at 07:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments