The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2002, 07:20 AM

I like Elixer strings on my electrics, but not on acoustics. Too dull.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:07 AM

I bought my Taylor used so it didn't come with Elixers. I used strings from Webstrings.com and was very happy.

One day I decided to break down and buy a set of Polyweb Elixers. After I put them on I fell in love with them. This feel and sound is what made me want to buy a Taylor to start with.

Three days later the B string broke rendering my $15 set of strings useless. First time I ever broke a string in 5 years of playing.

I am now back using Webstrings and saving the money I don't spend on Elixers to buy my next Taylor.

Elixers stink for a strummer. This is the end of my Elixer story.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:10 PM

Its funny how different strings sound depending on the guitar you put them on.
My 410 sounded great with D'Adarrio EXP's but they sound like crap on my 810ce.
Hate the nanowebs
so far the Poly's sound best on the 810ce. Going to try John Pearse 80/20 "s

Tom
Old 04-27-2002, 08:18 AM

I'd be curious to do this knowing what type of players the responders are.

Say, "strummer, likes elixers, poly"
"fingerpicker, likes elixers, nano"
"fingerpicker, hates elixers, JP"
"strummer, hates elixers, Thomastik"

...and to see whether or not there's a correlation there. I'm a 95% strummer/rhythm guitarist. I really don't like those elixers.. JP's for me, altho i'm gonna check out those thomastiks soon.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:59 AM

I'm a strummer and a picker, and just starting to play around with some flatpicking. Elixir Polys are my choice.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:08 AM

.I like the lower squeak and longevity that the Elixirs have, but don't care much for the tone on any of the guitars I have. I use mostly D'Addarios which (to me) sounds great!
Old 04-29-2002, 07:12 PM

The guy at my local shop says Dean Markley Blue Steel strings wear the frets. Anyone heard of this?

814ce-LTD Brazilian
Old 05-07-2002, 01:52 PM

Really? That's nice to know.

814ce-LTD Brazilian
Old 05-08-2002, 04:08 PM

Default Elixir Strings

I can see why there are so many opinions on the Elixir strings.
They sound great on my 455, They made a BIG improvement on my beater Washburn F11, but they sounded AWFUL on my Lowden. I tried both the nano and poly. Good was good, bad was bad and there seemed to be no middle ground at all.
Go figure... I have no idea at all why there was such a drastic difference. Guess it just proves that guitars are really living, breathing things.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:36 PM

Thumbs up

I've been playing guitar for 30 years. (Not really good yet, just played that long..)

For me Elixirs is all about feel. When I'm in the mood to play I play for a long time. Also when I play for Adult Worship we have 3 services at 25 Min worship each & 2 additional practices each week.

I go back & forth about which Elixir I like best but I've come to the conclusion that if I play uncoated strings for that long it starts wearing at my callouses even though I play almost daily & that requires a comfortable guitar with comfortable strings. My 814ce with Polys.

(Strummer & picker)

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 05-22-2002, 03:30 PM

I like the elixirs (polyweb) that came on my 710 and that was my first experience with them. I just picked up a set for my Guild 12. If there's one guitar I don't want to make freuqent string changes on, it's that one.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:03 PM

Four items:

1. One of the Taylor tech sheets says that, since different string brands even of the same gauge have different tension, changing brands often causes the neck to need adjustment. Anyone had to do readjust the neck?

2. My 414ce came with polywebs, which I used until nanos came out. Never go longer than a 3-4 weeks without changing strings. I have never switched for fear that I would need to readjust the neck, and that I would mess up the action (even tho' the neck adjustment tech sheet says it is no big deal).

3. I had a freshly-changed .012 E snap at the bridge (wasting a set of $15 strings - aargh!) I was practicing the "Drive My Car" solo using string bend vice slide, pulling the E up a whole step. I didn't blame the string.

4. While changing strings last week I noticed the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fret wires were significantly worn at the B and E string positions. Guitar is less than a year old. Freaks me out!

Searcher
Old 05-23-2002, 10:44 AM

[3. I had a freshly-changed .012 E snap at the bridge (wasting a set of $15 strings - aargh!) I was practicing the "Drive My Car" solo using string bend vice slide, pulling the E up a whole step. I didn't blame the string.

4Searcher [/B][/QUOTE]

Searcher: Your third item describes what I would call a high wire act on a 414, but I'm sure the bend was worth every penny of the $15. Try some "extra slinkies" or maybe some banjo strings as an old friend of mine once used for his work in covering Mississippi Queen by Mountain!
Old 05-29-2002, 05:53 PM

I love Elixirs. I buy 'em by the case. They have a by far longer "consistant sound" life than other strings and I think I have played them all. The uncoated strings sound better right off but lose their sound quickly. Yes, the Elixirs are not quite as bright out of the box as the uncoated string but they stay that way far longer.
Old 05-31-2002, 01:26 PM

One negative I note with Elixirs is that they tend to slide off the fingertip when you bend them, as if they were a little slick. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm talking poly. Maybe nanos get a higher grade in this area?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification