The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-06-2001, 12:23 PM

Cool

It is kinda crazy how each guitar likes a certain string like each person likes a certain guitar. Getting player, guitar and the right string together makes it happen. I dont think you should be afraid to try a differant string now and then. I try differant strings and on differant guitars I use differant brands. On all the taylors I own I end up going back to what came on it. I guess it struck the right tone for me to buy it it continues to seduce me with the same strings. I use to have a D-45 I put elixirs on. YUK! and went back to SPs. I will be glad when the price goes down. JW
Old 11-06-2001, 03:27 PM
Bob Womack

I've heard it said that guitarists are some of the most conservative people out there when it comes to adventuring with new gear. I know that I have a tendency to go through a trial period where I try out things like strings and then I settle in on something that works and don't want to monkey around anymore.

I hadn't tried Gibson strings on my electrics for years because they sounded so much different from my usual Fender strings. They recently offered free "Les Paul" strings so I accepted a set. As soon as I put them on I said, "Yuk! Way to midrangey, no shimmer, ugg!" I was, however, too lazy to take them back off. Lo and behold, the next day, they sounded better and after playing them for a week, I liked them, except for the fact that they turn my fingertips BLACK as the nickle plating wears off.

I can't stand changing the D'addarios every week or so as they go dull but they are mighty pretty while they last. Alas, I've fallen under the spell of the Nano-webs. They may not sound the best, but they sound the way my guitars sounded when they were new, don't corrode or blacken my fingers (or make them stink), and last FOREVER. Sold. Now I've got to find a local dealer who sells them for a decent price.

Bob
Old 11-06-2001, 06:11 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

I've been very happy with the Elixers overall. I'll admit that they sound slightly more dull than a brand new set of Martin XP's, but they are consistent and sound the same for a long period of time, while the Martin SP's become dull and tarnished fairly quickly. An added bonus with the Elixers is the reduced squeak when moving up and down the strings. Some of my Taylors that were bought in early 2000 still sound great with the original Elixers, believe it or not. I would have been through four or five sets of traditional strings by now.

J.R.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:42 PM

JR (our beloved administrator)...your "original" strings input convinces me that either you don't play enough, or you have too many guitars, or both. I have considered investing in GORE stock since I'm changing Elixir polywebs on my two Taylors on a 2-3 week basis....because thay are shredded by then, and losing their brightness.....but they are more consistent and lasting than anything I've ever used.....I might try nanos sometime, and the rare earth advertising sounds intriguing...but polywebs are the string of choice for me
Old 11-06-2001, 07:50 PM

I've asked before, and gotten little response. But since this thread is going hot...Maybe I'll get some feedback.

What strings sound the best on a K14C?
(Hoping to save myself a little time and money!)
Old 11-07-2001, 04:38 AM

Sorry for heading off topic for a short moment... Taylorman, I see you're from Chicago - do you play in any bands around town?

OK, back to topic... I'm one of those people who's torn between the poly and nano's. I think I would stick to the nanos if I didn't lose something on the bottom end. I have yet to experiment with many string other than Elixirs but this forum has mentioned some other contenders that I'll be looking into soon (DR, D'addario)...
Old 11-07-2001, 07:51 AM

Elambo. I was in a band up until a year ago. Now I just play with myself! Hey wait...that doesn't sound right!

Why are you asking? Looking to put something together?
Old 11-07-2001, 08:10 AM
Bob Womack

Taylorman,

I like polywebs on the K14c.

Bob
Old 11-07-2001, 09:36 AM

I made the move from Polys to Nanos for both 714 and 410 (Baby still has original Polys; shows you how much I play it). Believe it or not, I think they last longer than Polys, even though the coating is thinner. In fact, I just bought a bunch of sets off eBay, so I'll be using them for a while.

I haven't tried others since owning Taylors because, like JW said, I wanted to preserve what made me buy Taylors in the first place, and I guess I associated some of that with their choice in strings. I never played any when they used D'Addarios. Would like to try John Pearses sometime though.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 11-07-2001, 12:27 PM

taylorman, I'm always interested in seeing a good band, but I don't think I'd be interested in seeing you play with yourself.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:19 PM
mstorie

I personally think nanoweb elixirs sound best on my K14c. I put a fresh set of John Pearse on last night, but couldn't stand the tonal difference and today put nanowebs back on. I tried to be open minded and figured the JP's needed to be "broken in". So many people like them here on the forum. I played them for a while and they seemed to improve, but alas, they seemed like they were made more for strumming on a rosewood/sitka combo. When you drive the JP strings, they sounded really good. Individually they lacked definition with my cedar top. I used polyweb elixirs on my other guitars, but they lack bass response on my K14 and seem a little dull.

Its a good thing we have so many strings to choose from.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:00 PM

Well Elambo...If you wanna check out the band, go to chicagolocalbands.com and look at Six Strings Down. The MP3's are still of me, even tho they've changed Lead Singers. (I WAS the lead singer)
They're still an excellent band!
Tell them Dave sent you!
http://chicagolocalbands.com/bandpag...ingsdown.shtml

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: taylorman ]

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: taylorman ]
Old 11-09-2001, 04:57 PM

Thumbs up

Stuart, was that the TUMGF where you saw the Elixir discussion? Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Elixir strings. I think it boils down to playing style. I have a heavier playing style both with flatpick and fingerpick so I don't readily hear any difference. If you have a softer approach then the coating on the strings may be more noticeable. It's different for everbody I guess.
Old 11-22-2001, 09:34 AM

i use poly's and martins ....whatabout the thomastik-infields?how much for them?.....i think when you are playing just with youself you are in the 'phrygian' mode.....really
Old 11-22-2001, 02:28 PM

Cool

The last couple of sets of medium gauge Thomastik-Infelds I bought were fifteen bucks each, minus my swell, good customer, 20% off. I guess that made them twelve bucks per set.

Love those discounts at the mom & pop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification