The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2002, 08:53 PM

Default FRET WEAR

Has anyone had trouble with a buzzing caused by fret wear on their Taylor? Are the frets wearing down faster than other guitars you have owned?
Old 05-25-2002, 06:06 PM

Been some folks commenting on rapid fret wear here. Do a search and you'll find the threads, I think.

Yoda
Old 05-25-2002, 11:18 PM

My Taylor's frets are definitely wearing down much faster than my other guitars.

That's because I don't play them anymore!

cotten
Old 06-02-2002, 02:08 PM

The frets on my 914CE are wearing away at an alarming rate. I bought the guitar in December and it will need either a crown and polish (if there's enough metal left) or a refret before the guitar is a year old. Totally unacceptable for a guitar with a list price over $4000 and a street price over $3000.

I remember reading a post a few years ago, on a different forum, from someone who worked for a company that sold fret wire. He intimated that there was a major acoustic manufacturer who bought the cheapest fret wire they sold. He suggested it was a good thing for local luthiers, and for the manufacturer, but unfair to the buyer. I wonder now if he was referring to Taylor.

I'm pissed that after spending the money that I did for the 914, that I'll have to shell out another $300 for a fret job next fall. My Martin btw, is 7 years old and may need its first crown and polish next year. My electrics typically need a crown and polish after 3 to 5 years of heavy play (less often now that I use Pyramid Roundwounds exclusively) and a refret at around the 7 to 10 year mark.

I may go for stainless steel frets when it's time.

Shemp
Old 06-02-2002, 04:16 PM

I'm wondering how to tell when the frets need to be dressed or replaced...is it a sonic event (buzzing) or merely a visual....my 510 shows a lot of wear after one year plus ....but still sounds fine....any advice out there?
Old 06-04-2002, 06:46 AM

I think there is a point at which you can get away with a leveling, or fret redress I believe it is called- and thats something you do when it is still just a visual. Of course, I let mine go till there is a buzzing note, and by that time the grooves are so deep I have had to get them all replaced, and thats more costly. Ah, sadly I have now had my frets replaced TWICE on my '98 510ce, and I can already see a lot of wear... guess if I decided to be smart this time, I could look into a redress soon...

I don't know if I just play more these days or what. I do use a capo a lot, that doesn't help....
Old 06-04-2002, 06:28 PM

A question arises.....

Can we assume that a luthier is using the SAME 'brand' of fret wire that Taylor originally installs??

If true, and the wear continues, then Taylor needs to address the issue.

However, if a luthier installs fret wire that he/she uses on other axes, and it's not the same that Taylor installs at the factory - and the wear continues on the Taylors???....???

Where does that leave us?

Yoda
Old 06-04-2002, 08:13 PM

There's a similar thread over at the AG forum under "Gear." One of the luthiers noted that the major builders use the same fretwire these days, so it's not a matter of material. Here's the link: http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubb/Fo...ML/008440.html

I noted there my guess that Taylor's factory setup might be contributing to the problem, with harder fretting than necessary from folks who are used to higher action. It's strictly a guess.

FWIW (because I'm not a hard driver) I've had my 615 for 14 years and haven't had trouble with the frets. I had them dressed about five years ago, but they're still holding up well.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:57 AM

When my 410 was pretty new I had a Fishman installed by a Taylor-recomennded tech. He corrected some buzzing and dressed some fo the frets up toward the 8th fret or so. I couldn't tell, but he saw it. Didn't charge me, but may have billed Taylor, I'm not sure.

Jay
Old 06-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Guitar Gourmet

You can ask a luthier to change the fret height when you have the frets changed. I tend to like medium-jumbos (.046), which are quite a bit taller than factory Taylor frets. Four good reasons: 1. They give you greater security than the shorter frets when you a bending . 2. They last longer! 3. Your fingers don't come into contact with the wood of the fingerboard as much. 4. They don't require as much pressure to fret securely.

When Taylor changed over to the NT neck, they also went to Monel steel frets, probably in response to people's complaints that they weren't getting much mileage out the previouis ones. Monel's are supposed to be much harder.

I may be the only one you know who is actually looking forward to a fret replacement on his Taylor. My luthier says many people bring brand new Taylors and have him yank the frets and put medium jumbos on.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-06-2002, 01:40 PM

That's interesting, Bob, because I feel just the other way. My EM9 (like all Tacomas) has large frets, and I find them uncomfortable for extended play, so I'm having them milled and re-crowned. I know I could learn to adjust, but I'd rather keep my playing style constant among my guitars, and I like the EM9 enough to keep it otherwise. Just a different viewpoint.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:23 PM

Unhappy fret wear

I've had fret wear problems with all the Taylors I've owned, fortunately I only live 1 1/2 hours away from the Taylor factory and I just take the guitars over there and have Tim in the repair shop put a harder fret wire, it,s more brittle and will last longer. My playing technique may also be to blame, I just hold that baby too tight
Phil.4:13
'98 514 ce w/Baggs iMix
Rockbridge Dread BRZ/Adi w/Baggs Anthem
Schertler Unico amp
Michael Tuttle Guitars Tele & Strat
Old 06-07-2002, 07:08 PM

Unhappy PREMATURE FRET WEAR

My Taylor (310-CE) was purchased last Christmas and within 3 months I noticed some buzzing. A trip to the music store's repairman said I needed a fret dress. After paying $1,200 for the
guitar I didn't feel right about forking over another $100 to have this done. I contacted Taylor and they referred me to their authorized repairman. He looked at the guitar and showed me where the frets were wearing out. He offered to do a fret job for around $120, but added that the next time I would need to replace the frets so.....I'm figuring at least one fret dress and one set of new frets a year costing about $450 total each year including putting up with a few months of buzzing. I'm thinking I can't afford the maintenance on my Taylor and my wife will not understand (and neither do I). He called Taylor for me and they admitted that their frets do wear faster than other guitars and explained why: "the Taylor frets are designed with a higher profile to attain near perfect intonation. This is accomplished by a smaller fret wire which gives a more precise contact point on the string, which in turn helps give that beautiful Taylor sound." They offered to pay 1/2 of the price for my first fret dress, but after that I would be on my own. I decided wait on the fret job and call Taylor myself. In spoke with Zach. After getting the same story I asked why they don't warn people that Taylor guitars are high maintenance and costly after the initial purchase. I told him about getting 10 years out of my Yamaha before it started buzzing and he said something about the tires wearing out on a Roll Royce as well as a Volkswagon. It didn't make much sense to me , but I guess he felt better. I asked if they would take the guitar back and he flatly refused. He also said that I was in the extreme minority complaining about fret wear. After looking through the threads on fret wear I find that hard to believe. Although Taylor guitars do sound beautiful (for awhile) there is a price to pay and Taylor will not back up their own product. They have come up with quite a guitar, but they are not being honest or fair with their customers. What goes around comes around though and people will get the word out, maybe Taylor will address this problem and finish the wonderful guitar they started.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I guess this is like the difference between an Alfa Romeo and a Honda: The Honda is designed to drive along marvelously with minimum maintenance and last a long time. Alfa Romeos are designed for high performance but aren't expected to last as long without intense maintenance. Even the tires don't last as long because they are also designed to contribute to high performance at the expense of longevity.

Now, mind you, my family has owned both Alfas and Hondas. The Alfas are more fun to drive but the Hondas are more fun to pay for.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-13-2002, 07:59 PM

Alphas Romeos and Hondas? High fret profiles versus flattened frets? Should be a way to get more mileage out of the Taylor frets. I hope I just have a lemon and Taylor will replace it, but if the problem is more widespread, then Taylor guitars will be the buzz of town and maybe then they will remedy the problem and take care of those who have invested in their product.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification