The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
That does make sense other than calling Colorado a "southern Great Plains state." I'm not trying to nitpick, I know Colorado borders on Kansas and Oklahoma, and Texas is just across the Oklahoma panhandle about 40 miles from our border. Colorado is a Rocky Mountain State and my home! The terrain is quite different from those "Plains States.
Just curious - have you ever been east of the Front Range? The eastern half of your state is most definitely part of the Great Plains!! I’ve never been in flatter country than when driving through the endless beet fields of eastern Colorado, and it’s not as though the prairie winds stop blowing when they reach the Colorado state line.

Hey, quibble with me and I’ll quibble right back!!

In any event, I was trying to make the point that Mossmans were best known in that fairly limited region and not much beyond it. I imagine that them pesky Arkansawyers got their hands on some Mossman guitars, too, but there’s nothing anybody can do about that now...

whm
Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 PM

Wink

I said I wasn't trying to nitpick. Of course I've been through the eastern part of my state. As for the winds, while it does blow it's nothing like Oklahoma or the Texas panhandle, and while they might get an occasional tornado they are mild in comparison to Texas, Oklahoma or Texas. I also see that the OP of this thread was from Vancouver Island. Again I have read many of your posts and respect your knowledge and opinions. Still I don't think you'll find great plains states with 14,000+ foot peaks and world famous ski resorts.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Gman, I don’t want to hijack this thread into a discussion of which category Colorado falls into, but the same ancient primordial inland sea that covered Kansas and the other plains states to the north and south of it also covered eastern Colorado. At that latitude the Great Plains end at the Front Range, and it’s kind of silly to pretend otherwise.

The mountain regions of Colorado are obviously the most scenic, but the plains in the eastern side of the state contribute a great deal to your state’s economy. You shouldn’t be so eager to disown them.

Naturally, you don’t have to agree with me, but most geologists would.

In any event, I didn’t mean to stir a hornets’ nest by casually referring to your state as being part of the Great Plains. You can post further rebuttals if you like (somebody cue up “Rocky Mountain High!”) but I have said my piece, and will only discuss Mossman guitars for the rest of the thread.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Throwing another guitar on the fire...

I bought my Mossman in Minnesota, near a little town on the edge of the prairie, that time has forgotten and the decades cannot improve. If this map is evidence, and one chooses to define "prairie" in botanical terms rather than geological, (see this map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallgr...s_Prairies.svg) my guitar qualifies.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Sagatagan View Post
I bought my Mossman in Minnesota, near a little town on the edge of the prairie, that time has forgotten and the decades cannot improve. If this map is evidence, and one chooses to define "prairie" in botanical terms rather than geological, (see this map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallgr...s_Prairies.svg) my guitar qualifies.
I'm glad to see Mossmans are known and played in places other than the aforementioned areas too. I noticed the original poster was from Vancouver, and there were posts from Indiana, Georgia and Florida. I respect Wade's knowledge of guitars. I wasn't trying to start a silly argument over topography. I just found it strange that he referred to Colorado as a Great Plains state. We are pretty well known for our portion of the Rocky Mountains. Ever hear of Aspen, Telluride, or Vail? Our baseball team is the "Rockies," and our Hockey team is the Avalanche. It's true the sparsely populated, mostly farmland and cattle ranching eastern part of Colorado is pretty flat and often referred to a "Kansas" by the rest of us. I doubt there is much market for guitars out there, but who knows?

I gig in a few mountain towns, but leave my Mossman home. I treat it as an irreplaceable item since they are no longer made. I gig with a Gibson and a Guild 12 string that are both probably worth more money than that beautiful Mossman, but I can replace them. They also don't sound as good, to my ear, as that Mossman. That was my original point. They are very undervalued for the wonderful guitars that they are AT ANY ALTITUDE!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:11 PM

Talking

Glad to have found this thread and this forum.
I grew up in Lawrence Kansas. In the 70s my mom worked in Steve Mason's shop and they were in a band together. I got a strong dose of Steve's humor and craftsmanship in my formative years. He was still involved with the Mossman company at the time, so I got to meet Stuart and visit the shop a few times.
Along the way my mom picked up this Flint Hills. She plays mostly bass and when she does pick up a guitar it is usually a classical. So recently she decided to pass it down to me.

It's at Steve's shop now, getting a new bridge and neck reset (just the standard reset - this one is later than the 'agony of da feet' era).
Even with just fresh strings, it sounded amazing and played beautifully for the first 3-5 frets. I belive Steve will take care of the higher frets from there... Can't wait to get it back.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:49 PM

We had a music shop in Ogden Utah that carried Mossman guitars.
There are a lot of them still in the area.
I see them showing up at music festivals.

I have played a few but never owned one.
Would love to remedy that some day.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Default alathIN

"Along the way my mom picked up this Flint Hills. She plays mostly bass and when she does pick up a guitar it is usually a classical. So recently she decided to pass it down to me."

Your mother loves you very much; be nice to her (and especially if the classical is a Hauser).

A Mossman owner
Old 08-26-2018, 05:39 PM

Hey, alathIN, please tell Steve hello from Wade Hampton Miller. I’m from the Kansas City area originally, and Steve leads a band called The Alferd E. Packer Memorial String Band. One of my best friends is also in that band, Matt Kirby, the hammered dulcimer player. (I suspect you’re already well aware of the Packer Band.)

Steve is one of the best possible people to have work on a Mossman guitar. He really knows his stuff.

Anyway, it’s very cool that you got that guitar passed down to you. Play it in good health.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Here is my 1977 Winters Wheat 12 string that I purchased from Mickey Jones about 15 years ago. Growing up in Connecticut we did know of Mossman guitars but you didn't see many at all and to the few who had them referred to them as the Martin of the West.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Beautiful Winter Wheat 12, Bridgepin. Great shape with the usual finish checking. I bet she sings. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:38 PM

A guy I know had a Great Plains for sale back in the fall,And he knew I wanted one and he gave first chance at it but I just didn't have the cash...story of my life lol.. Some day I hope it will work out. They are great guitars!
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 AM

I went to the Dallas Guitar Show last month thinking of getting a dreadnaught of some kind.
After the second day, I had narrowed it down to either a new D-14 (some of the new Martin's are really good!), a new Collings D1-A, a beautiful Preston Thompson that might haunt me forever, and a '77 Flint Hills.
The Mossman hung with all of them and was a ton cheaper, so thats the one I came home with.
No regrets (maybe the Thompson a little).
It's my first R/W guitar and I'm super impressed so far.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Default NGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deech54 View Post
I went to the Dallas Guitar Show last month thinking of getting a dreadnaught of some kind.
After the second day, I had narrowed it down to either a new D-14 (some of the new Martin's are really good!), a new Collings D1-A, a beautiful Preston Thompson that might haunt me forever, and a '77 Flint Hills.
The Mossman hung with all of them and was a ton cheaper, so thats the one I came home with.
No regrets (maybe the Thompson a little).
It's my first R/W guitar and I'm super impressed so far.
So, you know the rules. Where are the pix?
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM

Default SL Mossman

Hi, I have a Winter Wheat. My first "real" guitar and my first pearl guitar.

Dan Crary was teaching at a music camp not to far away from me so I took it to the camp. Found him and showed him the guitar, he sat and played it for about 20 minutes. Sounded way better when he played it.

A very striking guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion